Lehigh, where to start?

Flows are very low (typical for this time of year) and it allows wade access to a lot of the river normally too hard to reach. Add to that fall colors are near peak and you have the makings of a great day on the river.

Hope to see a lot people at the Public Meeting. We need more FF presence there.

Certainly the majority of fish I've caught from the Lehigh were all well-fed fish, there's just too much food in that river for them not to be. In very hot years I have caught a couple that I think had been feeling the effects of some thermal stress though and likely weren't feeding regularly. Once water temperatures drop for a stabilized period they seem to recover rather well.

One of my most memorable Lehigh River catches was a large, colorful 17" holdover Brook trout I caught almost right at the Lausanne Tunnel outflow. I believe the fact I caught it there (the Tunnel is the river's largest AMD contributor) is testament to the great work and SUCCESS the LRSA and partners are doing with the ongoing remediation project for the tunnel. That project has been directly responsible for removing much of the AMD contaminants from the tunnel flowage.

A general observation from other streams: Stocked trout that become thin during the summer from going off feed rarely appear to recover in the fall and most likely largely pass away in the late fall or winter due to limited fat reserves. Since the thin ones have gradually died and the remaining fish are in fair to good condition, one must consider that this possibly gives one the impression that the formerly thin fish have recovered. As I have said previously, average annual mortality rates in Pa wild trout streams, for instance, are 60-65 percent.

Are you saying Mike that 60-65% of a wild population dies off each year?

If true, then I would think that within that number it would be a large % of 1yr old trout. If it was the older population dying off at such high rates, then statically speaking, it would be unsustainable.

One thing that needs to be considered. As Smike said earlier, water temps in summer on the LR decrease as you get away from FEW. Its azzbackwards. The "tailwater" section (From FEW to Sandy run -give or take) stays a fairly consistent temp, very little fluctuation. Where the water temps in the Gorge and further down river fluctuate more and do go below 68F during a period of time each day. This may be another reason for skinny trout which may be due to the consistently warm water temps near FEW. 72 F will not kill trout, but it doesn't make them very happy and may be cause for more skinner trout. Or they are just part of that percentage of stockies that tend to die after the first year.

Of note: The releases this summer and since the ACOE has raised the pool by 70Ft each spring are much cooler than years ago before the inception of these flow plans. 75-78F degree water from FEW was not uncommon during the summer before the flow plans were introduced and especially since the Corps raised the lake another 70 ft. The last few years has rarely seen water temps over 72 for long stretches of time. Combine this with some type of minimum flow and this has definitely benefited the trout populations and fishery as a whole. Now, we just need that upper 10 miles or so to stay cool all summer long. Then we would be in business!!!!! Steps are moving forward for this to become a reality.

We (LCFA - not LRSA) have had some interesting conversations of late with the PFBC on improvements to the plan for next year. Not sure if they will be laid out at the meeting on Oct 27th, but it should be interesting. Hope we can get a good showing by the angling community.

" We (LCFA - not LRSA) have had some interesting conversations of late with the PFBC on improvements to the plan for next year. Not sure if they will be laid out at the meeting on Oct 27th, but it should be interesting. Hope we can get a good showing by the angling community. "

Thank you for all the hard work!! I like the sound of that. See you at the meeting.

"A general observation from other streams: Stocked trout that become thin during the summer from going off feed rarely appear to recover in the fall and most likely largely pass away in the late fall or winter due to limited fat reserves. Since the thin ones have gradually died and the remaining fish are in fair to good condition, one must consider that this possibly gives one the impression that the formerly thin fish have recovered. As I have said previously, average annual mortality rates in Pa wild trout streams, for instance, are 60-65 percent. "

I would think the 60-65% is for stocked trout after the first season. .

Not being a fisheries biologist, I would think natural mortality for wild trout varies greatly by age class and even type of stream, etc. There are lots of variables. The rates Mike presented may be more applicable for 1st year or younger age class fish, which that might even be low. I would think mortality declines greatly after the first year or two until the trout become very old, then natural mortality rises again with old age.

My comment referred to two year old fish and older, not age 0 or age 1. You may also want to check the recent article in Pa Outdoor News in which Spruce Ck's mortality rates were mentioned in the C&R area over just a few months. It will shock you if my average annual mortality rate caught your attention.

Anyone know anything about Leslie Run ? I had heard that both Leslie Run and Sandy Run do not support wild trout.

I was thinking of fishing the gorge early next week, starting around Rockport and working upriver. If anyone is interested in meeting up feel free to shoot me a PM.

henrydavid wrote:
Anyone know anything about Leslie Run ? I had heard that both Leslie Run and Sandy Run do not support wild trout.

I was thinking of fishing the gorge early next week, starting around Rockport and working upriver. If anyone is interested in meeting up feel free to shoot me a PM.

I caught wild brown and natives in Leslie run...I didn't spend a lot of time there but in the time I did it wasn't very productive

This is not some stocked trout or young-of-the-year mortality rate. I suggest that you read the following on the Little J and the mortality rates seen so far in adult trout monitored by telemetry over the course of a 6 month period (without having even spawned or gone through a winter yet). Also, retired Cooperative Fisheries and Wildlife Research Unit Leader Robert Carline is quoted regarding years of Spruce Ck studies and the typical mortality rates in each year class.

Pa Outdoor News article (9/25/15 issue, page 8) by Mark Nale, titled "Little Juniata River trout study yielding surprises."

If anyone is interested I am planning to make a run up to the Lehigh on Veteran's Day next Wednesday weather and flows permitting. Would be awesome to meet some forum members up there with experience on the Lehigh.

I fished the Lehigh near White Haven on 11/17 the water was COLD, I was bushwacking and investigating new territory. Man there is some rugged terrain along that river. I managed only 1 foot long brown trout. It took a nymph on a double fly smaller bugger/nymph rig in moving water.

I think I'll head to Rockport next, flows seem decent. It literally took me an hour to get warm after getting out of the river. I was wearing Simms breathable Gortex but also had 2 under layers on and merino wool socks. I don't think neoprene would've kept me much warmer.

Fished the rockport sections a few times the last couple months, work
Your way upstream from the parking lot. Some nice deep pools in that section

Back