Lehigh R hatches were turned on yesterday, 3/26, 4PM

Mike

Just to let those who fish the Lehigh know, I biked across the Rt 329 bridge between Cementon and Northampton late yesterday afternoon and there were substantial numbers of brown stoneflies and black caddis at my level about 25-30 ft over the pool created by Cementon Dam. Can’t say what the situation would have been farther upstream, but my cycling jersey was collecting them pretty easily.

I can verify that the hatches of caddis and stoneflies were strong all afternoon, but in the time we were on the river we saw no risers at all, not to say that was the case for all sections, but we floated 4+ miles and saw none. Water was very cold. Chances are that you may have seen us on the water? We were in the same area.

I was further upriver around Rockport and saw lots of little black stones and a decent amount of tan caddis but no risers.

I can verify that the hatches of caddis and stoneflies were strong all afternoon, but in the time we were on the river we saw no risers at all, not to say that was the case for all sections, but we floated 4+ miles and saw none. Water was very cold. Chances are that you may have seen us on the water? We were in the same area.
Didn’t see you, but I wondered at the time whether what I was seeing and wearing was translating into rising fish. There was a fly angler at the confluence of the Hokendauqua Ck and the river, but he did not appear to be having luck with nymphs and I could not see any rising fish. There was no hatch in the Hokendaqua itself.

Good news. Pretty common early season hatches on the LR. Also pretty common to not see risers for them. I have found that surface activity does not really begin until one starts seeing Q.Gordons. Even then it is inconsistant.

When the water hits about 50 (late april early may in typical years) Hendicksons rule the roost and dry fly season begins. YES!!!!!!

Until then, buggers, zonkers, and nymphing are the best bets.

i had caddis all over me in the Bucks County section of the Delaware yesterday while i was shad fishing. the river is still in the mid 40's and i did not see anything rising for them.

Back