Leader Formula

TimRobinsin

TimRobinsin

So the more I dry fly fish and participate in casting events, the more I am becoming dis-enchanted with modern extruded leaders. What started as a simple solution to a sometimes confusing part of the sport has now turned into a bit of a PITA!

I now know that your basic knotless, extruded nylon or mono-filament leader is designed with the intent to attempt to do everything. We have all heard the saying "Jack of all trades, master of none" (no offense intended Jack). So it is with this in mind that I now turn all of you to see what your experience is.

Do you like knotless, extruded leaders?

Do you like hand tied or furled leaders?

Do you have a favorite leader formula?

What materials do you use?

I am interested because I would like to experiment with some different materials and formulas.

Here is a link to the ACA's leader formula page for competition casting. Keep in mind these formulas are for comp. YMMV.

http://www.americancastingassoc.org/our_games/equipment/leader_formulas.html

http://globalflyfisher.com/fishbetter/leadercalc/download.php

I prefer the knotless extruded leaders. I will buy a 0x or 1x 7.5-9ft leaders with the heavier butt section and add 4x to this for nymphing, or if I'm fishing small dries, I'll cut the 4x back and add 5 or 6x. I tied the Harvey leader with Mason and Maxima for a few years, but I never really liked the thin butt section (0.17), because when I switched over from throwing dries to small streamers, it gave too much slack in my cast, and I did not like having to over-power my cast to attain better accuracy, or switch out leaders for that matter. . I prefer to feel the entire roll-out of my cast and will make slack adjustments accordingly, with the kickback cast being my favorite technique, and even with the thicker leaders, I haven't noticed a difference in my catch ratio. It's all in the tippet IMO.
Just my 2cents on the knotless leaders

When I started fly fishing I also started fly tying and furling leaders all at the same time. I fished two tapered leaders and tied them in knots. I started using uni thread furled leaders and it instantly improved my casting. I use straight mono for the tippet since I don't buy into the uniformity hype of tippet material. I reason that A .0001 of an inch is not going to make any difference whatsoever in my catch ratio.

Could be I have no clue what I'm doing and ignorance is bliss but the furled leader and mono has shown me no reason to change, yet.

Extruded mono leaders work okay. Your "Jack of all trades, master of none" description fits pretty well.

After a while, many FFers start to experiment with different leaders. I used to tie knotted mono leaders leaders using different formulas to match fishing situations. Leadercalc is a good source for these formulas.

Next I tried furled leaders.

Now I use a hybrid of the two leaders. I hand furl mono leader butts and knot on mono and/or fluoro segments of tippet to match the type of fishing I wish to do.

I takes a lot of experimenting, but the results are worth the effort.

I haven't tied my own leaders yet, but casted some hand tied ones this year and I think I'm going to start. I believe the formula is something like this http://www.riseformstudio.tv/leader_formula.html

A-fish

we have to fish sometime. I would love to see this hybrid setup. May you me an shakey can get out sometime when the weather cools.

Nice replies.

I am getting into a whole nother ball game I can tell but I think I'm going to build some leaders over this winter. Furled, braided, and knotted. It's fun to experiment. Anyone want to get together for a leader jam in January? I can already imagine how that will turn out! *cue sound of beer pouring into solo cup from a half barrel*

Leader jam aka beer drinking extravaganza with some leaders on the side

Do you like knotless, extruded leaders? No. I could never get them straight enough to suit me.

Do you like hand tied or furled leaders? I like hand tied leaders. I tried furled but always go back to the hand tied ones I make. It's a comfort/confidence level for me.

Do you have a favorite leader formula?
This is what I use for dry flies on medium water mostly:
Dry – 11’ – Leader
[Stiff] .017 10”; .015 20”; .013 20”; .011(0X) 20”-
[Soft] .009 (2X) 12”; .008 (3X) 12”; .007 (4X) 18”; .006 (5X) 22”-30”

What materials do you use?
For the "stiff" material I use Maxima chamileon.
For the 2X I use Orvis superstrong.
For the "soft" material I use Rio Suppleflex tippet.

I use my own handtied knotted leaders. When I started flyfishing my two flyfishing mentors also introduced me to tying my own flies and leaders. I tried a extruded leader once or twice but did not care for it. My favorite are the Harvey formulas. I modify them for different situations but the basic formulas remain. I also use tippet rings between the leader and tippet section.

The best knotless leader I've tried was made by/of Maxima Chameleon. With this, I cut back the tip (20-22 inches) of a 4X leader and tie on 4X mono. Then I can also add to that, 5 or 6x if I need to go finer.

My favorite 9ft. 5X dry fly leader recipe using mono is listed below. It straightens nicely and also takes to a little wiggle mend nicely when I need a bit more slack.

9 foot 5X
28"-.021
14"-.019
12"-.017
10"-.015
6"-.013
6"-.011
6" - .009
6"-.007
20 "-.006

I started out using knotless leaders for my first few years of FF.
Then a buddy of mine let me try one of his hand tied George Harvey leaders. It was a definite improvement, and I started tying and using them for quite awhile.

About 10 years ago, I came across another leader formula that was a little different.
It has a 36" long butt section made out of a materiel called Orvis Hy Flote. Then the next 5 sections, are made with Stren Lo Vis mono.
And it's finished off with a 30" section of whatever kind of tippet you prefer. ( I like Orvis Super Strong)
IMO, this is the best dry fly leader I've ever used.
Unfortunately, Orvis quit making the Hy Flote materiel several years ago.
And when my current stash of it is depleted, I guess I'll have to try something else for the butt section

Never tied my own leaders but I have a question to those who have. The measurements seem pretty precise, 28", 21", 12" ect. But when you tied the blood knots a few inches are used in making that knot. So is the finished leader now 25", 18", 9" or do you allow extra line to tie the knots.

laszlo wrote:
Never tied my own leaders but I have a question to those who have. The measurements seem pretty precise, 28", 21", 12" ect. But when you tied the blood knots a few inches are used in making that knot. So is the finished leader now 25", 18", 9" or do you allow extra line to tie the knots.

Good question;
You figure a little extra to make the knot and get it as close as you can to what the formula is calling for. Once you start doing this a few times you have it down.
I add 3" to each length when I tie and it comes out pretty close. But if your off a little IMO it doesn't make a major difference.

ever try christopher fave leaders?

I used to only use tapered factory leaders. Then I was shown the light with the proper leader formula. I hand tie my own leaders now using Maxima clear.

Aducker wrote:
laszlo wrote:

Good question;
You figure a little extra to make the knot and get it as close as you can to what the formula is calling for. Once you start doing this a few times you have it down.
I add 3" to each length when I tie and it comes out pretty close. But if your off a little IMO it doesn't make a major difference.

I do pretty much the same thing.
I add 2" extra to the butt section , after I tie a perfection loop on the one end. And then an extra 4 " to all the other sections - allowing 2" to tie a knot on each end.
This gets all sections pretty close to the prescribed lengths

Back