Layering

B

brush_buster

Going to fish in Alaska next October and wondering what layers you use and recommend to fight the cold under your waders. Water temperature will be in the 30s.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Being from Texas I have no experience with these conditions.

Thanks

Liner sock and heavy weight wool socks, heavy weight baselayer bottoms. Or get neoprene waders.

In cold water I prefer boot foot waders so my toes can wiggle around. I have been using neoprene waders for hunting since they are way cheaper than ones for fishing. However, they have slippery rubber soles so you need corkers or some other crampon or similar thing to get some traction in the stream. Wicking is important. As stated above liner sock with good winter sock. Modern baselayers are a great improvement over old time long underwear.

Get good waterproof, not water resistant, hat and coat. The damp can chill you fast and you need to stay dry.

Insulating/wicking layer (wool or synthetic, no cotton). Outer layers the same with wool or synthetic. Two layers socks with lighter wicking under heavier wool. Roomy boots.

A down insulated vest and a down jacket and a comfortable back pack. Y
our going to have to carry in everything and keep it on you because of the BEARS.
The Bears will be fishing next to you.

I found that fleece wader pants were great while wading in 34-35 degree water this winter. Mine were from LL Bean and have stirrups that keep them in place when putting on the waders. My only problem in really cold water was keeping my toes warm, despite liner socks & wool over those, so I think one size up on the wading boots to give your toes a bit of wiggle room is a good idea.

I found that fleece wader pants were great while wading in 34-35 degree water this winter. Mine were from LL Bean and have stirrups that keep them in place when putting on the waders. My only problem in really cold water was keeping my toes warm, despite liner socks & wool over those, so I think one size up on the wading boots to give your toes a bit of wiggle room is a good idea.
Were the fleece pants all you wore underneath your waders? Were they neoprene waders?

When Steelhead fishing up here in Erie I usually have a thin pair and a expedition thickness fleece pants. A size larger pare of boots and a good pair of breathable waders. Neoprene while warm will make you sweat wading. In my experience keeping your head and body dry and warm is the key. If your flying breathables weigh quite a bit less.

I fish when the streams up here are open or have slush flowing. My low temp not to fish is 26*f that is when guides, line and flies freeze up. Below 26*f the line will freeze on the reel causing line damage. Soft flies freeze up into a chunk of ice and it is just miserable to be out.

Last edited:
Were the fleece pants all you wore underneath your waders? Were they neoprene waders?
That's all I had on (plus skivvies of course) under the fabric waders - Simms Freestone; they have neoprene feet.

Edit to add: I found that after about 1.5 - 2 hours in the 34-35 degree water, I had to get out for a bit and walk around to get the circulation going, especially in my feet. You could always wear a pair of thin thermal longies under the waders - LL Bean thin wool is my preference for cold weather hunting, etc., - if you are going to be in the water a bit longer without a break, but the real problem for me was keeping my feet warm enough. Numb feet & wading on rocky bottoms don't mix well.

Last edited:
I wear a hw Sitka baselayer and the Orvis wading sweat pants under my waders and I’m good for legs.

For feet you will need merino socks. My biggest thing is keeping feet dry so a liner can help but, I sound with merino it’s not really necessary since they do it anyway.

I wear hw smartwool hunting socks during the winter and my feet are fairly comfortable. Although I don’t stand in one spot very long so I’m always moving. No matter what you do your feet will get cold if you stand in the water for long periods of time.

I wear a hw Sitka baselayer and the Orvis wading sweat pants under my waders and I’m good for legs.

For feet you will need merino socks. My biggest thing is keeping feet dry so a liner can help but, I sound with merino it’s not really necessary since they do it anyway.

I wear hw smartwool hunting socks during the winter and my feet are fairly comfortable. Although I don’t stand in one spot very long so I’m always moving. No matter what you do your feet will get cold if you stand in the water for long periods of time.
Thank you Allen for your response. I was fixing to ask specifically about socks.

Heat packs, the kind you crush and they produce heat are a good addition. GG

Thank you Allen for your response. I was fixing to ask specifically about socks.
Yes, socks are very important. I find high quality, durable merino wool socks already have about 20 percent of synthetic materials incorporated which help with durability, shape of the sock and transporting moisture off of skin. I can usually find good socks for about 12-15 dollars on clearance from a few major brands. I only wear these socks when fishing or hunting so they last me a long, long time and I find them very worth it.

For upper body I wear a combination of a merino wool blend layer next to skin or synthetic, like a sitka hw hoody, lightweight puffy jacket (northface), midweight fleece (northface) and wading jacket keeps me more than warm even into the low 20s and wind. I can take off the puffy and fit in my pack easily if I get too warm when walking. My wading jacket is a Simms G3 jacket, so it is pretty thick and traps heat very well.

I like neoprene gloves for my hands. They don't breathe well but they keep my hands warm enough, much warmer than other options, and I get cheap pairs and cut off the thumb, pointer and middle fingers so I can manipulate my line and tie knots still.

What a thrill to plan for your trip !!

Gonna SUPER ReEmphasize earlier tip for slightly larger Wading Boots to give your feet circulation benefit.

Kelly Galloup suggests keeping a dishtowel size rag tucked in waders to dry hands after fish release. The immediacy of 100% dry hands will b welcome. Don't underestimate this, as well.

Lastly, I accidentally discovered those " tropical face buffs" normally associated w tropical sun protection, REALLY work well in cold weather.
Worn as pictured, to subtle compression is VERY beneficial...and WARM.

Good luck on your trip.!

Attachments

• buff-uv-headwear-lifestyle.jpg
    buff-uv-headwear-lifestyle.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 3
What a thrill to plan for your trip !!

Gonna SUPER ReEmphasize earlier tip for slightly larger Wading Boots to give your feet circulation benefit.

Kelly Galloup suggests keeping a dishtowel size rag tucked in waders to dry hands after fish release. The immediacy of 100% dry hands will b welcome. Don't underestimate this, as well.

Lastly, I accidentally discovered those " tropical face buffs" normally associated w tropical sun protection, REALLY work well in cold weather.
Worn as pictured, to subtle compression is VERY beneficial...and WARM.

Good luck on your trip.!
Thanks Bruce? A couple of good suggestions I hadn’t thought about.

Back