Ladies Night Swap

I’m not trying to squash your participation in the swap, Terry. If Ms. Beck calls that pattern her fly by all means roll with it. It’s really a great pattern. I just see it as a variant of the Wooly Bugger.
If you like variants of a bugger try out the Hot Mustard, a design from Josephine Sedlecky-Borsum! One of the first patterns using polypropylene.

Kim

I put my own additional criteria on that, HOM. I just am not wild about tying a fly for a swap that I never fished. I think it must be a personal problem on my end.
Absolutely. Just being an ***. I also prefer to spend my time tying what I fish.

I'm In!

Since Kim is challenging us with the theme, I'm going to challenge myself with the tie. I'm coing in with Nadica Stancev's Wasp pattern.

That might work out for everyone that joins this swap . . . or it might not . . .

Best case, you get a cool-looking fly that should raise some local fish. Worst case you get something that looks like phlegm on a hook. :)

Here's a pic for reference:

Wasp 14

Wish me luck!

I’m not trying to squash your participation in the swap, Terry. If Ms. Beck calls that pattern her fly by all means roll with it. It’s really a great pattern. I just see it as a variant of the Wooly Bugger.

This is from a swap I just hosted on another site. It was my 'You give Me the Woolly's Swap" It's been said more than once - newer fly tyers climb on the shoulders of those who came before us.

There is NOTHING wrong with variation/imitation to meet your needs as a fisher on your waters.

Kim

View attachment 1641234253
This is from a swap I just hosted on another site. It was my 'You give Me the Woolly's Swap" It's been said more than once - newer fly tyers climb on the shoulders of those who came before us.

There is NOTHING wrong with variation/imitation to meet your needs as a fisher on your waters.

Kim
Sounds great .

Here's who we have registered so far. If you have signed up and I missed your name, let me know - if I figured that you were on the fence, I didn't want to shanghai you!

1 - dc410! - Rainy's Popcorn Bal
2 -Terry Murphy - Beck's Bugger
3 - falcon - Marla Blair's Firebird
4 - lazlow- Spotter Midge
5 - jeffroey - Nadia Stancev's Wasp

Any additions/subtractions/corrections? Let me know.
Kim

I'll get in this swap. I will tie Holly Theriault's Maple Syrup.

You are in! And the swap IS a go with the 6 minimum met! Now lets see if we can fill the OTHER half!

Kim

I'm in. Not sure what fly yet. I'll let you know when I get off work and can do some research.

Slow Morning. Mary Kuss MK Sulfur Emerger

Last edited:
I'm In!

Since Kim is challenging us with the theme, I'm going to challenge myself with the tie. I'm coing in with Nadica Stancev's Wasp pattern.

That might work out for everyone that joins this swap . . . or it might not . . .

Best case, you get a cool-looking fly that should raise some local fish. Worst case you get something that looks like phlegm on a hook. :)

Here's a pic for reference:

View attachment 1641234232

Wish me luck!
That's the nicest bee pattern I can remember seeing.
Good job!

Just moving the conversation back to this thread. Until Kim confirms, I'm tracking 7 participants to date, not including Kim which usually participates. That's 8 confirmed by my count - I tied 12 and if I end up with a few extras for my flybox that's fine by me.

My entry was the Stancev Wasp. Here's the details:

Stancev Wasp
20240229 00191820240229 002129

Hook: #12 Maruto d31SSC​
Thread: Black 6/0​
Abdomen: Hareline Ice Dub - UV Light Yellow & 2mm Closed-Cell Foam​
Wings: Golden Badger Hackle Tips​
Thorax: Frog’s Hair Black Dubbing​
Back: 2mm Black Closed-Cell Foam​
Legs: Amber-Barred Nymph Silli-Legs​
Original Recipe:

I plan to ship a bonus fly if it’s okay with everyone. I always have Blue Bottles in my box and I sat down to tie a bunch. When I pulled up the recipe, I realized this is also a Nadica Stancev pattern. Never knew that but that means it fit Kim’s Ladie’s Night theme. I’ll drop one of these in my Altoids Tin for each of you:

Stancev Blue Bottle
20240304 19413320240304 201624

Hook: #14 Firehole 317
Eyes: Red Glass Bead (Medium)
Thread: Black 6/0
Body: Hareline Ice Dub - UV Black w/ Bundled Peacock Angel Hair (I like this a little more green than blue)
Wings: Sparkle Organza Ribbon - Dun
Thorax: Hareline Ice Dub - UV Black w/ a #10 Peacock Mylar Wing Case
Legs: Black Dry Fly Hackle​
Original Recipe:

Seven participants equates to six flies since you don,t send one to yourself, But I always include one for Kimba for hosting, so back to seven flies I send. Thanks for the bonus fly Jeff

I know it's been a little more than a week since @WWKimba has been spotted on this forum as well as one other I see him on routinely.

I'm sure like the rest of you, I'm praying that he's having a dispute with his ISP and has no way to connect to the Internet - or - perhaps he was digging a hole in his backyard and uncovered a cache of bank notes burried by the previous owner that he feels he needs to spend in a hurry. Nothing more serious than that.

Like Laszlo suggested above, I'm onboard planning for (7) ties following Kim's rules for marking and boxing. We still have plenty of time until the due date of March 27th for Kim to chime in and tell us we were silly to worry.

Until then, I'm suggesting we sit on our flies and don't ship them until we hear from Kim. If radio silence continues up to the 27th, I'll be happy to facilitate the exchange and close-out of the swap following his rules.

I hope I'm very premature with that offer.

Everyone deserves a good bender once in awhile. Hope you're having fun, Kim!

Life has me sitting this round out, unfortunately.

Back