Lackawanna river

• Thread starter pennsadventures
  • Start date
P

pennsadventures

My buddy and I are very good fly fisherman. We fished the lackawanna river today. I have read a lot about this stream and was prepared. We landed one fish between the two of us and it was on a streamer. We both tied everything we could think of on and in various sizes. Is there a go to setup for this stream? Neither of us can believe we only caught one fish all day. Thanks for the info guys.

Where did you fish it?

It's been my experience that the fish move from season to season. I have not nailed down the pattern, but I find if I'm not catching fish within an hour or so in one section, it pays to move to another one.

So, troutbert's question is key.

Water temps might send them packing to cooler stretches, too. It may take time for fish to return to areas that got warm this summer?

River's been a pretty good temp all summer long to Ridge Ave. At least lower than normal years. The river level was really low this AM at daybreak though. Actually levels have been fluctuating a lot lately. Combine that with Sept being the worst month typically on the river and it's a tough time to introduce yourself to the place. It's a fickle River to say the least. Some days the trout are everywhere and others you'd swear it's the worst river of all time haha. Pay your dues and you'll be rewarded.

If someone came up to me to ask my advice on fishing a body of water and the first sentence out of their mouth was "my buddy and I are very good fly fishermen", my response would be " then why are you asking me for my help?".

BrookieChaser wrote:
If someone came up to me to ask my advice on fishing a body of water and the first sentence out of their mouth was "my buddy and I are very good fly fishermen", my response would be " then why are you asking me for my help?".

Ha! Maybe it should say "We're pretty OK fishermen without the patience to actually fish and learn about a body of water."

Or OP could just hire a guide and say "We're pretty OK rich fishermen who can catch fish that are found for us."

That's a little harsh. I think FF skill translates to new bodies of water....to a point. The Lack is unusual.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
It's been my experience that the fish move from season to season. I have not nailed down the pattern, but I find if I'm not catching fish within an hour or so in one section, it pays to move to another one.

I agree about the movement. But also some sections hold much better trout populations than others in general, not just seasonally.

But the advice is the same, move around, try some different sections.

troutbert wrote:
Fly-Swatter wrote:

I agree about the movement. But also some sections hold much better trout populations than others in general, not just seasonally.

But the advice is the same, move around, try some different sections.

...or maybe the fish just weren't bitin' that day.

It never ceases to amaze me when guys go to a new place, have a bad day fishing, and write it off.

How many times have we fished a river or stream that we know very well, and holds many fish, yet we draw a blank.

Try other sections. If you fished in an area that has great water and habitat and is known to hold fish, try it again another day.

A&G Outfitters is located on the river. Before your next trip, ask them about current conditions, selecting a place to fish, as well tips on how to fish the river.

Good luck.

I agree with location. When I fish a new river or stream, the first day, I usually spend more time driving to check out different access areas than I do fishing. Even if I get lucky and get into fish right away, I usually end up trying different locations. For me, the saying "Don't leave fish to find fish" is much more easily said than done.

Fly-Swatter wrote:
That's a little harsh. I think FF skill translates to new bodies of water....to a point. The Lack is unusual.

Ah, I was just trying to rile them; if I had advice on the Lackawanna, I'd certainly offer it...

But I'd still give them **** for being flabbergasted at a rough fishing day in 80 degree Sept. Get real.

There is a spot on the Lack that has been a favorite of mine for years. Some days I could catch a dozen or more in a couple hours in about a 100' stretch. And then I got skunked. Repeatedly. Some spots produce better in certain seasons. Others (like my favorite) are well known and easily accessible and the fish get educated. Its probably the same on every river.

If you go back, call or stop in at A & G, they're willing to suggest spots and current flies. I may be able to help as well although I rarely fish anymore (crazy work hours).

Fall is streamer time. My best has been a size 10 black bugger variation. Chartreuse bead, black marabou tail, black size medium polar flash body. If the water is clear a Moro's minnow is a good choice.

Ant patterns usually produce well

I'm with BC on this one. If you tell me how good you are, the only thing you should require on new water is road directions to the parking area.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess you guys are on the way to becoming very good fly-fishermen but aren't quite there yet. The path to where you want to be runs along streams like the Lack. And Falling Spring Branch. And the Upper Delaware. And the Letort. You'll have to figure each one out on its own terms and on your own. It takes time on the water to figure out how to fish the best streams.

Tough audience! I have done well on the River a couple times, and had mild success others. It's definitely one you have to learn. On the other note, I know guys who have fly fished for 40 years and don't think they are "good," and that seems to be a common sentiment among experienced guys, so I'm sure that factors in the razzing.

Salt on the wounds, but I may humbly add that you may not want to read the article and head to the Brodhead either.... :-D

If i told you my first trip to Delaware River, Letort, Lehigh, Big Spring or Yough we're anything less than disappointing, I'd be lying. Wasn't sure they even held fish til I saw others catching them. I can remember taking trips to the Lower EB of the Delaware where I'd be on the river by 8am and not make my first cast until 20 minutes before dark. Did it 3-4 days in a row and learned a lot.... basically don't fish it if there's not a heavy hatch. LOL. Similar experiences on the others listed above.

Nothing is a better teacher than experience. It's also more gratifying when you do unlock the stream / river.

The river the OP questioned is one of those that warms and the fish tend to be transient in. This make figuring things out exponentially harder. I think A&G is the best place to start.

Stream conditions have always been the biggest player in my fishing success. or lack there of.

Wow...i think if i posted some of those responses it would have been deleted with the all new PC PAFF 3.0 version these days...that being said, i echo the responses above...maybe just a shitty day, move around try different things....try to intentionaly spook fish for next time?...all good...go during a good predictable hatch to see how many fish are in there.....been to plenty of spring creeks that you thought were void of fish and then a hatch shows their true colors.....cue the cyndi lauper

Back