Labor Day Susky Float

F

Fishwagen

I have a long weekend coming up and was planning on hitting the Susky in the boat...maybe multiple days. Anyone else interested???

Wondering if any other watercraft owners would like to get a small float going and spend a day on the water? I will have an extra seat available if someone would like to jump in w me.

I'm free Friday, Sunday and Monday. I can be swayed without to much hassle for any of those days.

LMK what you all think.

FW

Would love to join you guys.

I may be able to do so - will have to play it by ear for a few days.

Looking to do it Sunday amidst the 5000 kayaks and canoes.

Dave,
They water is quite dirty and I assume it's the same algae bloom that sometimes plagues the Juniata. The visibility was on 18" at best. Get to the shallows and it was cleaner looking. Slower waster had plenty on green algae hanging on your lure or fly. Just be prepared for it.

Let me know Dave. So far me, Kray and my Dad. We agreed on Sunday...just haven't agreed on a starting time yet. Hope that can work for you too.

6450 cfs and dropping like a stone. By Monday, could be ugly low. Might require a hovercraft. LOL

I'm going out (with the boat) on Friday. Up river from Duncannon. I'll update as to the conditions so we can better guess Sunday.

I "was" complaining about the rain...now I'm hoping for it. However doesn't look probably until late next week.

If I don't post back that means I am still stuck on a rock(s). LOL

I can't do Sunday,but would like to do a toon float Saturday and Monday.
If it's stupid low,I may just wade around Dauphin

Snapped this pic on the way to work this morning. With the lack of rain, she's starting to get a bit skinny. If you're going through here in a hard boat, you may want to install wheels on the bottom of it first. LOL.

Attachments

• river.jpg
    river.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 7
It still looks like there is water in there...somewhere!!! You could wade and not get your boots wet.

I'll know better tomorrow.

Okay, I'm in for Sunday but would need to finish up by late afternoon - 4ish.

If a float doesn't work due to time or water level, it would still be fun to link up for some wade fishing. Good luck tomorrow FW.

It rained pretty good here in West Chester overnight.Did it rain up there enough to bring the the river up some???

We had about a quarter inch of rain in Gburg yesterday but it was a very small, localized storm.

The river is at 3.1 as of this afternoon - bone low and perfect for wading. Not sure about boats.

We had a fairly heavy storm roll through. Not enough to do much to the river. In addition, it would have had to rain way up river from H-burg to change things here. Don't see it happening.

Fishwagon was out today and he was able to float. It was skinny but floatable. To answer your question Dave, it is floa. table in a pontoon and probably in a hard boat......but the boat will get beat up a little. Great wade level for sure. If we started early.....7:30 - 8, should be able to get down in plenty of time.

I know where I'd like to wade and it's at least 1.5 miles each way. 20 years ago.....maybe try it but not now. Let's see how the gauge looks tomorrow afternoon.

Like Krayfish said...its low but doable. A few spots I had to get out and massage it thru. But overall it was ok when you stayed in the channels.

I'm good for a 7:30-8:00 start...so we can get you back in time.

I'm also open to any options we would like to come up with. Looking forward to the lower humidity...it was freakin hot today.

See you guys tomorrow.

OMG am I sore today. If I had to do it again today, I'd 'tap out'

krayfish2 wrote:
OMG am I sore today. If I had to do it again today, I'd 'tap out'

Rowing for miles will do that to ya.

Dave W said you sniffed the skunk... :-?

Sniffed the skunk? Haven't seen one of those stinky basstards in a while. LOL. 6 mile float that required 34 miles worth of rowing. I took big bass for 17 miles that required less rowing. If you are referring to spin rod....try to fly fish while steering moving driftboat. Doesn't work out real well. Call me lazy. LOL

afishinado wrote:
Dave W said you sniffed the skunk... :-?

Nonsense. :)
I can personally attest that Kray caught a heckuva lot of fish, including fish on the fly (lot more than me).

It was a great float - I too was smoked and I didn't do most of the rowing. I should have worn a stronger sunscreen as well. The low water levels exposed a lot of ledge rock requiring a great deal of evasive rowing.

Anyway, we caught a LOT of fish, mostly in the 10-12" range with quite a few cookie cutter 15" fish. The largest fish of the day was a 17" cattie I managed on a stonecat fly. Interestingly, the day started slow and I don't think we had a strike for about an hour. By afternoon, the bass were hot...but there was no rhyme or reason to where they were. Some pools/ledges produced nothing, then the next pool/ledge would produce multiple hook-ups. Some sections of the river had poor clarity, others were more clear. Most of my fish came in shallower areas with current. Many strikes were soft. Hard to pattern. All fish came on subsurface lures and flies, but we didn't try any surface stuff.

Kray,
My personal THANKS for showing me a fantastic day on the water. I caught more bass than at any time on that river in at least a decade. Just a great trip.

Just kidding, Kray. Good job guys.

Things are looking up on the Susky for SMB's.

Back