Kelly Galloup on $1000 rods

Once again Kelly is spot on!!!

For those who don't feel like watching, Kelly says the only difference between $1000 rods and cheaper rods (from reputable brands) is "made in the USA" and fancy components.

He's not wrong at all. There is good performing equipment available at virtually any price point and it has been that way for a long, long time now.

Someone who is serious about fishing but is on a budget is much better off buying 3 or 4 lower cost, but more specialized rods, than purchasing one $1000 9'5wt. For $1000 you can have a general trout rod, a steelhead/smallmouth rod, and a Euro rod or small stream rod. That would cover 99% of most PA anglers needs and they would never feel like they had the wrong rod for the job.

For those who don't feel like watching, Kelly says the only difference between $1000 rods and cheaper rods (from reputable brands) is "made in the USA" and fancy components.

He's not wrong at all. There is good performing equipment available at virtually any price point and it has been that way for a long, long time now.

Someone who is serious about fishing but is on a budget is much better off buying 3 or 4 lower cost, but more specialized rods, than purchasing one $1000 9'5wt. For $1000 you can have a general trout rod, a steelhead/smallmouth rod, and a Euro rod or small stream rod. That would cover 99% of most PA anglers needs and they would never feel like they had the wrong rod for the job.
I couldn't agree more. I don't think I own a rod over 300 bucks, but I have a rod (or more) for every type of fishing I might want to do.

I understanding wanting nice stuff if you can afford it. However, if I fish 100 days a year and prefer to use my money towards that, and my buddy fishes 25 days a year with a 1700 dollar set up, I can surely out fish him with a broom handle and some twine if it's what I am holding in my hand 100 days a year....

This is timely because I‘ve been spending a lot of free time thinking about what to get in terms of a surf rod and a bass rod. I’m sure this has been discussed in other threads, but I’m curious whether folks suggest getting a 7wt and 9wt or just an 8wt?

I didn't watch the video, but my limited experience with different price point fly rods have been primarily with Orvis. I'm far from an expert, and maybe just consider me a "pre-novice" at best, but here's my two cents:

Encounter package: $200. It's a rod and reel. It cast, but horribly inaccurate. I actually have one of these. Save your money for a better rod. (IMHO)

Clearwater package: $400 This is a decent rod. Allows for easier spot on cast and a good general rod.

Recon package: $940 This is an excellent rod. Easy to cast and easy to hit your target. Good all day\week fishing rod. Pricey, but it has a 25year warranty....no questions ask...step on it, close a door on it..etc. Of course, part of the price is to cover that "insurance" to get it fixed. I've fished this rod for several days on guided trips. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Helios package: $1,556. WOW! My wife purchased this for me about 5 years back, and I absolutely love this rod. It makes me look like a pro with making cast spot on. I would have never bought the rod and actually thought of send it back as I knew what it cost. But I didn't and I do not regret it.

Preface - Some of these rods haven't been fished in years but....
My current fly rods that I own and prices paid (as best as I can remember) are as follows:

Eagle Claw 3/4 6'6" - $30
Eagle Claw 5/6 8' - $30
Cabela's - Three Forks 4 weight 8' - I don't exactly remember, but it was cheap, maybe $50?
Cabela's CGR 7/8 - $50 - this has been my primary smallie rod for like 8 years now and it is still going strong. I love fishing this cheap glass stick
Risen ITB 9' 6 weight - $150?
Redington CT 4 weight 9' - $100
Redington CT 4 weight 8'6" - $40 used from a forum member, thanks Roger. Still on of my favorite and most fished rods for smaller waters.
TFO Blue Ribbon 10' 4 weight - $270 or so. The rod is okay, but all things considered I like my classic trout rods more. I fish this on bigger creeks due to the longer reach.
Ovris superfine glass 4 weight 7'6" - $500 (but free to me, thanks again to those that made that happen) I love this rod too and fish it often. I am a big fan of fiberglass rods and enjoy them tremendously. This or my Redington CT 8'6" see A LOT of action on smaller waters.

I own mostly cheap rods and see no reason to own anything else. I don't have the coin to throw around on high-end, expensive sticks. I think those Classic Trout rods represent a fantastic quality to value ratio.

FWIW without sounding arrogant, I am a better than average caster and can throw any action of rod with ease. I have no problem adjusting on a whim. This past summer when I had ya'll up to fish the Juniata I traded rods with Maurice for a little. His fast action graphite felt so weird and bizarre after fishing my CGR for smallies. I could easily transition and bomb long casts, but didn't enjoy that fast action.

I'm a less expensive rod man myself. The starter rods always advertise as easy and relaxing to cast - who doesn't like that regardless how long you have fished. (BTW - "starter rods" are designed to be fun to fish so you like the sport and buy more stuff down the line).

Also like more specialized rods compared to fewer, more expensive generalist rods. For example, I can high stick nymph old school with a 9' 5 wt, but the 10 1/2' 2 wt special nymph rod is so light in hand, easy to control the drifts, and more sensitive it is far more pleasurable to nymph and makes my day more enjoyable. However, I have to break out a dry fly rod when the fish are rising, which will be a softer rod one that is in the sweet spot for where I am fishing. Could be a 7' 4 wt or a 9 1/2' 5 wt depending on how far I have to put a dry fly.

My question to ask when looking at a new rod is what do my current rods fail to do? And I have to look hard at whether it is my casting or the rod.

Fast rods have a place in windy, long distance situations, but I agree they are less relaxing to fish. Fast or slow is a matter of taste, but I fish to relax and prefer a more relaxing softer rod.

Back to the 8 wt situation. I started with an 9' 8 wt and it did well for bass fishing, salt water and salmon, then I got a 9 wt for surf fishing. Really liked the 9 wt more for fishing big, heavy deer hair bugs, but 8 wt was more fun with foam poppers and smallie streamers. However, now most of my saltwater fishing is on the flats and I fish less deer hair bugs, so the 9 wt seems heavy for what I do and mostly sits at home. Now I just built a 9' 6 wt saltwater rod for a softer presentation on those days the wind dies down and the bonefish are spooky. Bottom line: I would start with a 9' 8 wt and then get another rod if you find yourself in situations where the 8 wt feels either too light or too heavy,

Wish I'd seen this 2 years ago.

My current fly rods that I own and prices paid (as best as I can remember) are as follows:

Eagle Claw 5/6 8' - $30
Cabela's - Three Forks 4 weight 8' - I don't exactly remember, but it was cheap, maybe $50?
Cabela's CGR 7/8 - $50 - this has been my primary smallie rod for like 8 years now and it is still going strong. I love fishing this cheap glass stick
Redington CT 4 weight 8'6" - $40 used from a forum member, thanks Roger. Still on of my favorite and most fished rods for smaller waters.
TFO Blue Ribbon 10' 4 weight - $270 or so. The rod is okay, but all things considered I like my classic trout rods more. I fish this on bigger creeks due to the longer reach.
Ovris superfine glass 4 weight 7'6" - $500 (but free to me, thanks again to those that made that happen) I love this rod too and fish it often. I am a big fan of fiberglass rods and enjoy them tremendously. This or my Redington CT 8'6" see A LOT of action on smaller waters.

I own mostly cheap rods and see no reason to own anything else. I don't have the coin to throw around on high-end, expensive sticks. I think those Classic Trout rods represent a fantastic quality to value ratio.

FWIW without sounding arrogant, I am a better than average caster and can throw any action of rod with ease. I have no problem adjusting on a whim. This past summer when I had ya'll up to fish the Juniata I traded rods with Maurice for a little. His fast action graphite felt so weird and bizarre after fishing my CGR for smallies. I could easily transition and bomb long casts, but didn't enjoy that fast action.
I have 5 of the rods you list, plus an Echo lift and my Bass rod from LL bean, my first was the Three Forks 20 or so years ago that one of my kids still uses.

You can have these arguments all day long about anything:

Is a USDA Prime dry aged at Morton’s BS when I can feed six people for the same price at Hoss’s?​
Is a Château Pétrus worth it when I can get just as gassed box wine?​
My Kia Sorento is just as good as your Porsche Cayenne Turbo...​

However, for some reason these discussions seem to the most prevalent on fly-fishing boards regarding tackle along with a LOT of reverse snobbery... :oops:

Fish with what makes you happy and spend what you can afford or where you feel comfortable, there’s nothing wrong with that but there’s also nothing wrong with the high end stuff...

...in my book there is also nothing wrong with spending my money with companies that make their products in the USA, even if it means I have to spend more and own less.

Last edited:
Fish with what makes you happy and spend what you can afford or where you feel comfortable, there’s nothing wrong with that but there’s also nothing wrong with the high end stuff...

...in my book there is also nothing wrong with spending my money with companies the make their products in the USA, even if it means I have to spend more and own less.
You're right. There is nothing wrong with it and I didn't pick up on any "reverse snobbery." I am just pointing out that I am very happy with my cheaper rods. I love my Orvis Superfine and I plan to buy another in an 8 weight format, but it doesn't fish any "better," so to speak, than my cheaper rods. The cork on that rod is way, way nicer than the other rods, though. It is also a made in the USA orvis and I like that.

Fish how you want. Only certain people pass judgments on such meaningless things in life as what rods someone may fish with, what shotguns someone may hunt with, or anything else someone may choose for a given purpose. We all have different personalities, different incomes, different values placed on different things, and it is fine. Nobody said there was an issue with spending money where you want or how you want.

Since you made meat reference, I would much rather spend my spendable income on that better piece of steak and a cheaper rod, but that is just me. I can't afford to have fine meat and fine rods.

Back to the 8 wt situation. I started with an 9' 8 wt and it did well for bass fishing, salt water and salmon, then I got a 9 wt for surf fishing. Really liked the 9 wt more for fishing big, heavy deer hair bugs, but 8 wt was more fun with foam poppers and smallie streamers. However, now most of my saltwater fishing is on the flats and I fish less deer hair bugs, so the 9 wt seems heavy for what I do and mostly sits at home. Now I just built a 9' 6 wt saltwater rod for a softer presentation on those days the wind dies down and the bonefish are spooky. Bottom line: I would start with a 9' 8 wt and then get another rod if you find yourself in situations where the 8 wt feels either too light or too heavy,
Seconded. I've fished an 8wt with a floater for warm water for a number of years, and I started using it in the surf last year. I fish a lot of top water foam (gurglers, fat Alberts) and streamers.

Last year, I started feeling unhappy with adding weight for streamers on the floater and with switching between rigs for the two approaches, so I'm adding a 9 wt this year. I plan to mostly fish big streamers on the 9 with an intermediate line and to use that as my saltwater setup, too.

I could definitely have continued to do all the above with an 8wt, but I want two rods in the boat for bass and feel just buying a second 8 etc is silly. 8 wt pretty much does get it all done, though.

As for Galloup's video, he solved a problem I was never gonna have anyway. I can count the things I own that are worth $1k on one hand, and none are recreational toys. Most are necessary vehicles or actual buildings...

Eagle Claw 5/6 8' - $30

I really like the CT 4wt 8'6". I was lent one last year while fishing with a friend. It's a pretty good rod and I'd get one myself had I not recently reacquired my Orvis H3F in the same configuration. The CT was not far off from being as good as the H3F, but the H3F is better IMO.

I like your SFG too, beautiful and wonderfully casting rod. I have an Epic fiberglass rod in the same configuration and it is a lot of fun, a real roll casting machine. I fished mine on French Creek on Monday because I had off. Fished for all of 75 mins to catch a lowly freshwater Chesco tarbon (fallfish), but it was fun to get the rod out. I even lawn casted it later in the evening while smoking a cheap cigar from Wawa (should have grabbed another cigar when leaving Cigar International) and had a lot of fun with the rod and really came to love it.

I favor my 8'6" CT so much more than my 9' CT. They are both 4 weights and I like them both, but that 8'6" length just seems to be the sweet spot for that rod.

IMO, money is better spent on good waders and boots, than rods and reels. For normal Trout angling in PA anyway. There are a few big water exceptions (Upper D in particular) but as a general rule good boots and waders far more affect my happiness on the stream than the rod in my hand. And other than one monster Bow on the Little J (likely a Homewaters stocked fish given where I hooked into it), I’ve never felt the reel was anything more than a line holder.

As mentioned above, I’d rather spend my extra money on gas/food/lodgings to enable more fishing outings, than on rods.

I think I currently have 6 fly rods, but realistically could get away with 2 or 3 for all my fishing in PA, WW included. Most expensive was $300 sticker, paid $200. They’re good enough to make me happy fishing them, all that matters.

I don’t wanna judge how others spend their money though. If high end rods make you happy and enjoy your fishing more, and you have the money, all good.

I couldn't agree more. I don't think I own a rod over 300 bucks, but I have a rod (or more) for every type of fishing I might want to do.

Likewise. It's nice having a broad spectrum of roads for various types of fishing. The other thing that is often forgotten is the price of replacing lines. Lines can get expensive and having a rod collection on the more affordable side allows money for replacing lines. For example, I have Cabela's LSI 8WT with a Hardy/Gray's cassette reel. I have spools for a floating, sink tip, intermediate, and full sink line. Those lines give me a lot of flexibility when it comes to warmwater and/or steelhead fishing. Replacing all those lines can get expensive.

If you have the disposable cash, then by all means, buy all the expensive rods you want. If they make you feel like a better angler and you can justify the expense, go for it. I say to each their own. I think Kelly makes some great points in the video!

IMO, money is better spent on good waders and boots, than rods and reels. For normal Trout angling in PA anyway. There are a few big water exceptions (Upper D in particular) but as a general rule good boots and waders far more affect my happiness on the stream than the rod in my hand. And other than one monster Bow on the Little J (likely a Homewaters stocked fish given where I hooked into it), I’ve never felt the reel was anything more than a line holder.

As mentioned above, I’d rather spend my extra money on gas/food/lodgings to enable more fishing outings, than on rods.

I think I currently have 6 fly rods, but realistically could get away with 2 or 3 for all my fishing in PA, WW included. Most expensive was $300 sticker, paid $200. They’re good enough to make me happy fishing them, all that matters.

I don’t wanna judge how others spend their money though. If high end rods make you happy and enjoy your fishing more, and you have the money, all good.
I think that is a great point about other areas where money is well spent. Quality boots and waders are more important to me (spare spools and lines as wgmiller added). I also don't begrudge how anyone spends their money. I just think it is good for newer anglers to hear all sides. Everyone is quick to look the part, which is cart before the horse, and works in the manufacturers' and shops' favor not the consumers' so it is cool to hear folks like Kelly giving an different POV from time to time.

Back