Keeping things cold- coolers

Acristickid

I have been living out of a cooler for last month or so.

What do you guys use to keep drinks , food cool??

For a day no big deal I suppose but for multiple days it can get stuff wet just by dumping Ice in.

I have found the ice will last much longer if you dump it into 3-4 gallon zip locks.

Block ice will last a lot longer - if you can find it.

Of course, some coolers are better than others.
I've been using igloo max cold coolers for quite a while now. They seem to keep ice for a decent amount of time. And are reasonably priced. I just bought a new one this spring - 55 quart capacity, for $60.
I've heard some nice things about yeti coolers. But couldn't quite bring myself to pay $300 for the same size cooler I mentioned above

This may not help in your situation, but I fill milk cartons or bottles with water and freeze them solid. This lasts longer than cubes, but you have to have access to a freezer every couple days for 24 hours.

Yea, I buy cheap coolers.

Never used dry ice, can you get it with your Fat Tire sixer? Hee.

No freezers in the Nat Forest Jack but I would do that at home.

fly_flinger wrote:
Dry ice will last even longer but you gotta watch how you handle it. Use gloves.

I tried dry ice once.
I didn't have gloves with me when I bought it - I was on a fishing trip out west - and burned my hands putting it in the cooler.
Then, the stuff in the cooler that was right next it, got kinda freeze dried.
I haven't messed with it since

A ring of glue backed foam around the top of your cooler will help a lot just make sure the foam is not to thick or it may break your coolers hinges. lids are never sealed good enough.Just got an igloo 120 and you can see the space around the lid and its made in the USA seems like the engineer doesn't mind warm beer.

I've been debating a Yeti cooler lately. If this week's hot weather keeps up through the rest of the harvest season I'll probably own one.

I was told block ice, and use a doubled up towel over the stuff to be chilled (between it and the lid). I've never tried it. I'm in and out of a cooler too often.

Block ice does last longer, but does a crappy job cooling. Dry ice does a crappy job if it's underneath everything, and if it's on top, it freezes everything. Good for transporting frozen stuff, but not a good choice for living out of a cooler.

Can't say I've ever done a month, but have done a week multiple times. Here's what I've found.

1. A good cooler is a must. Stay far away from 1 day coolers. One that advertises 3 or 5 days or whatever is fine, and you can get those for reasonable cost. If you wanna go all out get a Yeti or something along those lines, but they're pricy.

2. Cooler MUST have a drain. No exceptions. Nomatter how good of a cooler.

3. Drinks on bottom, placed upright, and enough of them so that food could sit on top of them if there were no ice. Then loose ice, then food on top.

4. Every evening and morning, drain the cooler of it's water. Add new ice as needed.

The food's on top so it doesn't get wet, and even if so much ice melts, it ends up resting on top of the drinks, above the water line. Just gotta keep the water line lower than the height of the drinks. By draining. Which is easy to do with a drain, you don't gotta remove everything to do it.

On my cooler, in the hotter months typically I lose about half my ice in a 24 hr period, regardless of how much I started with. i.e. I could make it 2 days if I had to. But usually I replenish once per day so that I'm not always worried about it. I'm sure a better cooler would extend this time. A larger one would probably allow more ice to start and extend it as well, but also require more drinks to keep the food high. You could also do a combo of block ice and loose ice, and probably make the loose ice last longer.

If you don't want too many drinks, a tall skinny cooler is better because it takes less drinks to cover the bottom. It also takes less room in the car and tends to be a better height to make a makeshift seat. Gotta drain more often though because it gets deep quicker.

Tip: As a separation between ice and food, the ice bag works well.

I could get 2 days outta one bag- especially if I didn't open it very often. I got one of those 3-5 day coolers (name is something Max) but it is so frickin big it takes a lot of space and didn't take it along.

I did buy your standard cooler at Walmart- it was like $17. They sure are a lot cheaper these days. Thanks China.

Frozen water in gallon and half gallon milk jugs will last longer plus no water to drain off. Newspaper is a good insulator in a cooler,on the bottom and on top of the ice and dcontents. A 5 day cooler stays cold enough here that I can keep frozen bait along with several frozen jugs all day with little defrosting. Make sure you check the tightness of the lid on and cooler before you buy. Some are looser than others even in the same brand. We keep ice in bags till needed for fish then we break a bag and add loose ice to a cooler then fish and more ice. A 100qt iglooo uses about 40 lbs of ice in a day cooling fish with ice still left after 8 or so hours in the heat here.I don't use frozen jugs on fish as you need a quick cool down with them. GG

I do the frozen gallon jugs, then use the melt water to refill my metal water bottles. Not practical if you're out as long as you are, but most of my trips are 3-5 days, so I never have to worry about water to drink.

Boyer

if you're living out of a cooler, first thing I'd do is insulate it well! 2" foam and a wood box if you can.

Think about what a yeti is, a tiny cooler that's been uber insulated...you can do this cheaply!

Block ice is always good....but here's a new product you may be interested in. You can find this on amazon as well.

http://www.nu-ice.com/

Great thoughts here, and coolers are definitely essential. I agree that a drain is a must, and the coolers I use in medium sizes all have one. That is great to dump the water out, yet not lose too much of the cold.

In terms of cost, my cooler is not in a high price range, though I keep considering like many of you. A couple years ago, we bought my dad a Yeti, and it works extremely well! The downsides are cost and weight. For their size, much is taken up with insulation, so be sure to examine one first prior to buying. It's tough to justify spending that much on a cooler, but when using his, I know he'll never need another one...and if I'm lucky, I'll inherit it! ;-)

TC

Something I didn't see mentioned. Make sure everything is prechilled, cooler included. Freeze whatever food you will use towards the end of the week. It'll be defrosted when you're ready to use it and won't drain the cold from the cooler. Keep a wet towel draped over the top of the cooler in hot weather. The evaporation will spare the ice inside.

Great point, Fishngun; here's some more tips that I have used from the Yeti site. Cooling the cooler initially makes a difference, in my opinion. They say to "sacrifice a bag of ice," which gets the initial cooler temp down before storing items inside.

http://yeticoolers.com/pages/maximizing-ice-retention/

fishngun wrote:
Something I didn't see mentioned. Make sure everything is prechilled, cooler included. Freeze whatever food you will use towards the end of the week. It'll be defrosted when you're ready to use it and won't drain the cold from the cooler. Keep a wet towel draped over the top of the cooler in hot weather. The evaporation will spare the ice inside.

I have a Yeti, the price is hard to swallow, but you get what you pay for. Ive already had ice last 3 days, and after that, even the water that is left after it melts is ice cold for another day or so. also, keep the cooler in the shade and don't open it more than you need to. I tend to use block ice I freeze in half gallon water bottles when possible, and bag ice when it is not. Also, if using bag ice, try not to drain the water out of the cooler.

Keep the food "dry" by using plastic storage containers with lids. Then water doesn't have to be drained and cooler stays cooler.

Back