Keeping the wading staff out of the way

I'm a newly registered user and I hope I am replying to this thread correctly...

For a wading staff, I started out by using a wooden broom stick with a hole drilled near the top and a length of paracord tied to it with a carabiner used to attach it to my vest. It worked, but it was always in the way. I tripped over it when it floated behind me and I would often get tangled in my line too. But, this Spring I found the solution to my wading staff issues!

I bought an Orvis/GearKeeper brand wading staff retractor (about $25) and a telescoping trekking pole (I bought a set of Black Diamond poles that have a carbide tip and locking clips to set the length from a camping website for $40). The poles have a contoured handle that I was able to secure to the detachable strap that clips and un-clips from the zinger cord.

I attached the retractor to my right shoulder strap of my vest. I am right handed and figure I should have my dominant arm most accessible to using it. I dangle it over the back of my shoulder while I am fishing. It's great! I can leave the pole shortened or lengthened dependent upon my concern over stability/need and it doesn't get in the way even when I have it lengthened. The retractor has the strength to keep the pole in place and it is not under so much tension to make it tough to use.

I bought my staff retractor from International Angler in Bridgeville and they were nice enough to allow me to test out the strength of the retractor before I bought it. All in all, I'm happy to have a fly fishing equipment purchase that was only $65, and I have a spare trekking pole at that amount too!

MathFish wrote:
I'm a newly registered user and I hope I am replying to this thread correctly...

Math,
You did just fine and thanks for contributing to our discussion.
So welcome to our online community, we're glad to have yuh.
DaveW

With out a doubt, the wading staff can be a life saver, and at times an inconvenience, while hanging at your side. There is a good deal of good advice offered here on this topic. I can only say that I keep my staff on a short leash and on my left side. Most of the time it is out of the way yet conveniently handy when needed. Nevertheless, there are times when I find it tangled at my feet.
I guess it's an integral part of fly fishing – where there is always something you need in a handy place, yet, it inconveniently gets tangled with something at the most inconvenient time.
The quest continues for a better way to carry the fly fishing essentials.

I tried the over the shoulder and it's great, Thanks HA. Now I just need to figure out a way to keep the line from sliding off of the Confluence's shoulder strap.

I enjoy being out so a little line caught up in the staff every now and then has no impact on me what so ever. Falling and ripping my knee apart does.

When I moved to Montana I figured you gotta have your rod and staff accompany you.So I went with a folding one-easy to carry in holster but I wasn't that quick a draw so used it unfolded-not too practical so I switched to one of the simple pole and rope over the shoulder ones.Always getting in the way-finally figured out if I always traveled sideways in tricky spots and used the rod butt if I really needed a staff,didn't really need to carry one.So I didn't.

I have my stick attached to my wading belt. I just switch the clip to the downstream side as I cover the water. The current keeps it floating downsteam from me and out of the way. Love having something substantial in case a pesky water snake gets too close. Although the last one I encountered on the LJ had a fish in his mouth and was having a hard time getting across the riffles and he almost swam into me.

I use a piece of birch about 1 inch in diameter I harvested from the "north 40" on the old homestead. Stripped the bark and air dried the staff for 6 months. Then I used a spoke shave and sandpaper to smooth the wood.

Used hemp cord & superglue to build a slip proof handle. Tied a length of para cord to a carabiner. Then secured the cord to the staff like a rod wrap & super glued it for insurance.

I'm left handed so I secure it to a right side belt loop and usually just let it float behind me in the water.

It works for me and doesn't look half bad...

Uncle shorty that sounds like my staff. For the handle wrap it in paracord and then poor boiling water over the cord and let dry over night.. As it drys the wraps will put a tight strangle hold around the wood. no need to glue or do anything else. Use the craft store paracord not real military paracord since the military stuff is preshrunk. Heres a picture of my staff wraps. I call it old smokey after smokey Robinson because of the purple and black cords.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 10
About half of the falls I've taken over the years have been getting my wading staff caught between my legs,so this thread has been helpful.

BTW:I recently have started using a non foldable wading staff and instead of tossing the holder,I still use around my waist as a combo belt and also i put a small water bottle in it.Very handy to get at

A ff friend who recently went into assisted living gave me a new, incredibly beautiful wooden staff with a rubber handle and sturdy carbide tip.I'm going to start using it this week an see how it works out

I use a scuba diving lanyard that Feather-craft sells. I have it on my left side and it works pretty well.

I use an Orvis telescoping wading staff.

I have been using a wooden staff and need to find a better, folding staff. Because I am not willing to spend $100 on one, best recommendations?

Back