Kayak Rant

albud1962

albud1962

About 4 years ago, kayaks and float tubes started to show up on the Breeches and Spring Creek. Maybe earlier on Spring. While sharing the water has a noble connotation it is difficult to subscribe to this supposition when one party blatantly and routinely denies the use and enjoyment by the other. Many of us do not of the ability to take time off during the week so avoiding kyakers and the stream of floatillas is not an option. After summertime fishermen have been driven off larger rivers such as the Lehigh,Youghiogheny,Clarion and Delaware it appears smaller and medium size streams are no longer off the table. I would have to say about 60% of my encounters have been negative. Up until now I have refrained from saying anything and ignoring the boaters as they passed, but when someone intentionally ruins my fishing by splashing, yelling and ultimately running into me in a drunken commotion I have to draw the line. Places such as Allenberry and Fishermen's Paradise where established for FISHERMEN! The current alternate users of these places pay no license fees, seldom are involved in protecting the resource, have no consideration for others and are often responsible for land owner problems in these areas.

In hopes that some of these people may read this forum I offer these points of ediquette :

* When approaching fishermen lower your voice
*A cordial hello is all that is necessary for acknowledgement, no I am not catching anything and If I were I wouldn't be telling you.
*Can you drift past me without splashing or thumping the bottom of your boat?
*Please alert me of your presence so I can facilitate your quick passage through the area.
*Why on earth would you float in front of me when it would be just as easy to pass behind?

Feel better?

A few of your bullet points are in contradiction with one another. For example in point #1 you ask boaters to lower their voice when approaching you, but in point #4 you ask them to announce their presence.

One could make a decent argument that them asking you if you are catching anything IS them being cordial.

I laughed pretty good at the second half of #4..."so I can facilitate your quick passage through the area." I pictured you getting out those orange light thingies the guys on the tarmac use to direct planes to their gates.

Bottom line...if it's public land, or private land open to recreation we gotta share the space. Other than getting run into, I don't see anything that's bothering you being all that big of a deal. They're probably floating by you all pissed off that you're standing right in the middle of the entry to the line they wanna run.

Yea, I feel you're pain, but you need to either fish skinnier water during the day or hit those spots really early or late.

Those paddlers are looking for the same things as you in the same venue, just differently.

Did someone really take a kayak through the Paradise??? That seems impossible unless there was a rain storm that just passed through. I've seen them below Bellefonte but if I saw one at the Paradise, I might have to hook one....

I think all streams that have trout in them should have the following rules:

Catch and Release Only
flyfishing only (no Tenkara)
No stocking
No kayaks, tubes, boats, innertubes, etc. (unless you are c&r flyfishing)
No pets
No religious groups
No bait fishing
No spinning rods
No getting to the stream too early and taking the best spot
No out of staters
No felt soles
No alcohol
No smoking
Transgender bathrooms

Most of my fishing anymore is done in raft, pontoon, dritboat, etc. Yes, the number of vessels on the water has dramatically increased. But the number of d-bags with zero etiquette is off the charts. That goes for paddlers and waders.

Last week bass reopened on the Susky. We floated in a 3 man boat along with the masses that were out there. We had 2 different guys in yaks that would race us to the islands, fish it and the row back up to block our passage. One guy fished past us, rowed up next to us and then started casting to the same water we were fishing. The river is a mile wide but the yaks seem to hang right next to you like a gnat. I don't understand it. We ended up down g to the other side of the river since these tools were jacking us for over a mile.

albud, don't fish the WB of the D. You'd lose count at the number of yaks, dritboats, pontoons, rafts and canoes that come by.

As for waders, signal which side you'd the boat to pass on. If it's too tight or shallow, the boater should exit and walk the boat by the fisherman. If you drift on the opposite bank, don't row until you pass. And for Christ's sake, do t cast to their fish. You'll be on to other fish in minutes. A smile, nod or wave goes a lot further than a death stare and a smart azz remark.

Badge #34 on main stem, cemetery pool, you suck. Anchored on fish and the guide asks where my fish are. I tell him and then he floats right to them, back rows on top of them for 90 and then drifts away. Douchebag.

lol

I know what your saying, and have a few thoughts. Keep in mind that my experience with rec. boaters is pretty much limited to the little j. Yes, they can be bothersome there. In the last 6 years I've been fishing there, I would say that about half of the floaters that come by me make as much effort as possible to avoid disturbing the area I am fishing, because they understand that paddling over the area you are fishing spooks trout. The other half? Well, while there is certainly a small percentage who just do whatever they want without consideration of others users of the resource, I have found that many floaters are just ignorant to the idea that by floating by directly over where you are fishing can actually spook trout, and potentially ruin your fishing over a certain area, especially if the water is low. In my opinion, it is more of a knowledge gap rather than a blatant disregard for the fisherman, at least where I fish. 95% of the floaters that drift by me are friendly and ask how the fishing is, even if they just unknowingly ruined the fishing for me for a time.

evw659 wrote:
I know what your saying, and have a few thoughts. Keep in mind that my experience with rec. boaters is pretty much limited to the little j. Yes, they can be bothersome there. In the last 6 years I've been fishing there, I would say that about half of the floaters that come by me make as much effort as possible to avoid disturbing the area I am fishing, because they understand that paddling over the area you are fishing spooks trout. The other half? Well, while there is certainly a small percentage who just do whatever they want without consideration of others users of the resource, I have found that many floaters are just ignorant to the idea that by floating by directly over where you are fishing can actually spook trout, and potentially ruin your fishing over a certain area, especially if the water is low. In my opinion, it is more of a knowledge gap rather than a blatant disregard for the fisherman, at least where I fish. 95% of the floaters that drift by me are friendly and ask how the fishing is, even if they just unknowingly ruined the fishing for me for a time.

I've had similar experiences on the j.

One time in particular, in the Baree section. A group of kayakers came floating down visibly intoxicated, I was near the bank and this was on a good 40ft wide section of stream. I think in there minds they thought "we wont disturb the fishing so we'll go as close to the fisherman as possible", needless to say the one guy literally ran into me. He wasn't going fast but I literally had to put my hand out and push his kayak out of the way, and in doing so had gotten my leader all tangled up in his paddles. I couldn't freaking believe it. They had literally 40 ft to go around me and the jackass ran right into me. His buddy had the nerve to say " you got any flashbacks? I hear they work awesome here"... Yeah thanks for the advice buddy....

moon1284 wrote:

Catch and Release Only
No stocking
No pets
No religious groups
No bait fishing
No spinning rods
No out of staters
No felt soles
No alcohol
No smoking
Transgender bathrooms
That right there is funny! You're either tripping, dreaming, or a combination of both. Good luck. :)

RE: the knowledge gap. Probably a fair number of paddlers that don't even know what a trout is, let alone how not to spook them. Heck some fishermen don't know how not to spook trout.

How is this NOT relaxing?

Attachments

• 20160621_120356 (2).jpg
    20160621_120356 (2).jpg
    235 KB · Views: 2
Believe it or not people with full size canoes go through Spring Creek canyon though one couple was perplexed when they came across the low head dam at the old Bellefonte hatchery site.

So maybe I am coming off as a grump, but I know many of you share the same sentiments. And you can't tell me your not upset when you have rising trout in front of you only to have them put down by a bunch of yahoos who can't be quiet for a few minutes. I tried to be nice on the water but no more. Now just annoyed. I guess that's my issue deal with.

I don't think my points are contradictory. There is a difference of someone saying "behind you "at a normal tone and yelling expletives at the top of their lungs.

I disagree about the public water argument. In Special Regulation Areas, I think boat access should be limited or at least regulated by permit.

Some instances its just not safe. Below Allenberry there is a high dam at the treatment plant and I am assuming that you can't go over it.
I realize my statement may seem subjective but these regulation areas were established for fishermen prior to rage of plastic kayaks. My perception is these boat people just don't care that they are ruining someone else's enjoyment of the water, even when an area has been specifically set aside for fishing.

I don't think the Breeches or Spring Creek have been established as navigable water. Tell me if I am wrong, but when the property owner owns both sides, there can be limitations placed on watercraft access and use. Anyways with Allenberry on the auction block it will be interesting to see how the next owner will treat access to the stream section. I don't think you will be able to stop Donny Beaver from preventing boats here.

moon1284 wrote:

Catch and Release Only
No stocking
No pets
No religious groups
No bait fishing
No spinning rods
No out of staters
No felt soles
No alcohol
No smoking
Transgender bathrooms

No beadheads
No strike bobbers
No graphite rods
No disk drag
No smiling
:)

Actually, they have no idea there spoiling your fishing. Your rod may cost more than their car. Whatever.

RELAX! (After all its just fishing, no ones going to die) Take a deep breath. If you can ask then nicely to go around your fish, they may do just that. (they won't understand why)

After they pass, take another deep breath. Look at the flowers. Take a few pictures. See the bugs you weren't paying attention to. Take a Pee break.

Watch the water, the fish will maybe come back up. Maybe a different one will show.

Relax, have fun. And if the fish don't come back up, do what any decent fisherman would do... Lie about all the fish you caught!

: )

Don't get me started about those stand up paddle boards doo-dads!

Kray, I am not safe anywhere. I guess I won't be shocked when I see some tuber coming down a brook trout stream. Finding more and more reasons to become Ted Kosinsky.

Shakey, you forgot to mention, no junk flies, i.e. sucker spawn, greenie weenies and san juan worms. :) I did preface this thread as a rant but I am about tired out, I think the meds are kicking in.

ah!! i forgot !! IPW's too :)

i came up with a steelhead fly that doesn't even use thread. you just tye chenille in a knot onto the hook :)

Back