Kayak, pontoon, etc advice

there is no such thing as an invincible inflatable...doesn't exist! your post made it sound like this was common place, which it is not.

I've had a bear shred a boat on a 140 mile solo 16 day float, fixed it and moved on, that thing was full of patches and lasted until the cold finally cracked the pvc, patches held to this day.

and yes I have poked a hole in an inflatable, my own fault, again very small and very easily fixed.

Don't buy junk!

and imho stay away from PVC boats! or DO NOT touch them when its cold out!!!!!

I have also tipped a raft, once in almost 20 years on the sticks. Caught us by surprise, fully loaded, 2 of us last week of September (winter here) moose hunt. Went swimming, lost a couple loose water bottles and a rain jacket, pretty minor. The raft was a propioneer, (long and skinny like the one shown in this thread)...sweet but they do have some issues that need to be addressed. 'bagging' the floor fixed the instability issues.

I've also had a buddy roll a drift boat in some nasty water....

In my opinion a cataraft is the perfect no trailer rig....a smaller one anyways. The bigger boats are a pain if you have to do a full assemble job on the frame. My frame was a custom job, by no means hard, but it did take some time. The smaller solo and 2 man catarafts are much better suited to this...as are the solo or 2 person inflatable yak/canoe style boats.

The propioneer is nice with the rowing frame, 2 folks can fish one can row, with a PILE of gear inside...its not tweaked with fancy seats or a huge frame...it takes a few minutes and you're ready. I do use use an electric (car battery style clamp) Inflator for the bulk of the pumping and we have fit this in a small hatchback, oars and all. Mind you this boat is rated for something like 1500 lbs.....hardly a fishing rig, but it rows like a ferarri too!!!!

The instability issue in the long skinny boats is a simple fix if it has a inflatable floor...just 'bag' it....simply put take a bit of air out. It allows the boat to squat more on the water..it does row a bit harder however. With this floor hard I was able to stop the canoe in smaller rivers enough it was easily fished out of. Biggest regret was selling it (move coming up). It WILL be replaced likely sooner than later. ANd you can easily find them on the used market for 1500 bucks, not the 3k new for something similar...that's IF you wanted to go with a serious boat, easy 3 person overnight rig.

Solo cats I have less experience on but I do have a few trips on the sticks. So far I've really liked them. They hold my fat behind and all the gear I've needed to do runs on. The downfalls is you can only haul me and my gear. I was thinking a 12' 2 person cat would be ideal for everywhere! and still be small enough to break down into a smaller vehicle. The electric inflator is a godsend! I did have to make a mod to the hose, which was simple. Found a piece of long hose that fit from a hand pump to the tapered end and wamo, I didn't even have to hold the pump. Unfortunately I think this pump is getting phased out. Mine lasted a LONG time before it died due to moisture.

If you have a boat find one of these!!!

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/metro-dida4-magic-air-inflator/1043780518?skuId=43780518&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_bedding_&adpos=1o1&creative=43742646469&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CITKnMnyicsCFZE0aQodoqcPCQ

You say to stay away from PVC. What are you suggesting, hypalon? I don't think any of the big manufacturers make boats in anything other than PVC. My understanding is that it's easier to patch than hypalon.

I will echos Dan's statement that skimping on price will result in regrets down the road. The difference between a $399 boat and a $799 dollar boat are pretty huge. Same goes for a $799 boat compared to a $1199 boat.

I will need crossbars and a carrier when I find a kayak. Any advice there?

Not Yakima. The hardened plastic crap they make them out of will not hold up over time. Get the Thule. They are all metal construction as opposed to the hardened plastic that Yakima uses. Trust me I learned my lesson after having my kayak rack snap on the PA Turnpike a couple summers ago. Did some major damage to my new car.

The Thule are not cheap since you need the cross bars, the mounting feet, the locks and also the "J" racks.

Also, always tie down your kayak from the front of the car when on the highway. I did not do this for years and had no issue. I even took my kayak to NC and ME without issue, but after the rack had weakened over the years, it eventually failed from the shear of heavy winds.

Hey guys, I recommend a Jackson Kilroy kayak. Very comfortable with a high seat position and you can stand a flyfish easily. Also only 65lbs and is easy to maneuver. I use mine in the Delaware, Susky and surrounding waters as well as take my 4yr old out...very stable. I have seen a few on Craigslist this last year and suggest watching for a good deal.

Krayfish,

I wish there were more non pvc boats but there just isn't.

My soar isn't pvc I believe its hypalon, its easy to repair as well. Its just a different glue.

Here's the issue with pvc. Its not the outer surface. My aire cataraft (jaguarundi) took one heckuva pounding year after year and kept ticking...

but

The bladders is where we've seen failure. Not in use, but mostly in storage, over time (years). DO NOT unroll them if they are even remotely cold....the outside might be thawed..if that inside is froze forget it. We've learned just don't touch them, or bring them inside before screwing with things.

I'll fish them and hunt off them in below freezing weather (pvc boats), its just something to be aware of. I'm not a fair weather fisherman or hunter.

The heaver outer surface (assuming its a double bladder type boat), if its made of pvc CAN take a LITTLE moving when its cold but not completely froze, but you WILL see the stress marks on any crease. Its just something you want to avoid at all costs with ANY and ALL pvc boats!

I lost my favorite 1 person kayak after a lot of years. I literally beat the snot out of it, and so did the bears, and it kept on going. It did get holes. It wasn't a cheap boat, but it was a higher end sevylor (svx200). One winter I had to move that boat....just moving it in storage was enough to crack the inner chambers which are no longer made.

The pvc chambers with vinyl is a workable boat..its cheap to make and replacement bladders are cheap compared to hypolon....its also much lighter. That said it will NOT last as long as hypolon.

I really liked my soar....that thing could get hammered by a mack truck and keep on rolling. its heavier however and not as tricked out as other boats. but it did its job extremely well! and you can find them cheap on the used market!

kayak racks you can make a cradle pretty easily out of simple lumber and foam...or go with a roof rack with the modular setups...they are pretty slick I don't run kayaks, but spend plenty of time with guys who do and every one of them like the roof racks.

If you can anchor to your door jams (canoe straps) the wood cradle is very simple and cheap compared to Yakima or thule setups....and you can find examples all day long with a simple google search on the home made versions.

If you haven't gotten one yet, I saw some deals at Costco. Check them out.

I have been looking into a kayak recently more for recreational floating but also for fishing and need something stable. Two that I really like are the Perception Striker 11.5 SOT because it has two seat heights and you can add a nice aftermarket seat and the Perception Pescador Pro 10 or 12 foot model. They are what I am in the market for both for lakes and rivers. I wonder how either would handle the Delaware.

The kayaks I saw at my local Costco were 12' and 11' models. No more than $399 max.

"Will it work on X water?" I see hundreds of them on the Susky and that's the biggest river around these parts. The limitations of a kayak will be determined by the paddling it.

What I can tell you for sure it that you don't want to row across Wallenpaupack (down wind) only to have a front come through with steady 35 mph winds. You'd have to row back (into the wind) and have 3' - 4' rollers coming over the bow....... aka, calling the wife to pick you up and drive you back to your car. LMAO.

You got that right krayfish,LMAO 2 Having to paddle down stream in the susky isnt a lot of fun either when theres an up stream wind.

After one bad experience, you really start to look at wind forecast. It will greatly improve the quality of your life.

Susky in the narrows can be ugly on windy days. Stuck 2 pontoons in and blew 1000 yards upriver. 2 hour later, still not back to original launch spot. Front came through. Wind switched directions and we went to the takeout at 25 mph. Lol

My Creek Company toon in my avatar was inexpensive and very durable. I wouldn't use it on big water but it has been great on the Susky North Branch and smaller lakes and ponds.

Not very good in strong winds as mentioned, unless you are heading the direction of the wind, in that case you are surfing, lol.

Back