Kayak, pontoon, etc advice

Hobies for still water-very pricey but foot paddle is worth it.also for big,slow rivers or salt.

Rob, I have a Field and Stream 12 foot fishing kayak I got a few years ago. It's an angling kayak. There are certain times when ****s has there kayaks on sale for cheap, that's when I got mine. If you can catch the sale the prices drop significantly.

If you really want a kayak for fishing I say join some of the facebook kayak pages and look on the forums. There are lots of quality used kayaks for sale that would be closer to your price range. I greatly suggest spending $700+ though IF you are going the kayak route. Something in the 11.5" or longer range with a 30" plus wide platform. You can find used Jackson Coosas for around $700 and they are a nice kayak. I often see Wilderness System Ride 115s for sale too. Like I said though I fish out of an Old Town Predator MX and they run around $1200 new and as sandfly mentioned the Nucanoes are roughly $1000-$1800 I believe. The Nucanoe Pursuit seems like it would be a great kayak for fly fishing! You won't however find very many Predator MX or Nucanoes used for sale since they haven't been around as long as Wilderness and Jackson.

bigjohn58 wrote:
If you really want a kayak for fishing I say join some of the facebook kayak pages and look on the forums. There are lots of quality used kayaks for sale that would be closer to your price range. I greatly suggest spending $700+ though IF you are going the kayak route. Something in the 11.5" or longer range with a 30" plus wide platform. You can find used Jackson Coosas for around $700 and they are a nice kayak. I often see Wilderness System Ride 115s for sale too. Like I said though I fish out of an Old Town Predator MX and they run around $1200 new and as sandfly mentioned the Nucanoes are roughly $1000-$1800 I believe. The Nucanoe Pursuit seems like it would be a great kayak for fly fishing! You won't however find very many Predator MX or Nucanoes used for sale since they haven't been around as long as Wilderness and Jackson.

Agreed. Like I posted earlier, I have a cheaper kayak without a lot room and a very uncomfortable seat. It's not a lot a fun to fish out of at all.

Consider waiting and saving up some money to buy a regular fishing kayak (the Nucanoe Frontier is a great one, IMO) or keep a look out to buy a better quality used fishing kayak for a price you can afford.

Good luck.

Fredrick wrote:
robkonowitch wrote:
Living in Middletown, I have wanted to float the Swatara and Middletown Res. I have back problems but have been thinking of a kayak or pontoon. My budget is under $500 (my thought anyway) for boat. Obviously I will need to spend more on paddles, life vest etc.

Anyone have advice on what to get? Looked at a few things at Cabelas and Bass Pro but not sure what would work

Save up more money and get yourself a nice fishing kayak.

Kayak

I think the trend here in this thread is save up more money and get a nice fishing platform. If you skimp on your purchase you will be disappointed . About to put mine back up for sale if anyone is interested.

Fishing Kayak For Sale

Thanks guys. Part of it is the money and part is just the justification to buy something that only one person can go on.

We have plans to move to South Carolina at some point where I would not kayak.

Save $ and buy a flats boat for redfish when you move. Decision made ! lol

I may be able to get an 8.5 foot Swifty kayak for real cheap. Anyone know anything about how that would work? If I did, it would be my "starter".

There are a pile of yaks on here at your price point.

http://www.****ssportinggoods.com/family/index.jsp?s=A-StorePrice&categoryId=13041155&page=1&searchSort=TRUE

Don't forget to factor in life vest, anchor, rod holder and paddle.

Thanks. I was just thinking about the Swifty because someone was selling it cheap.

The guy I was going to get the kayak from changed his mind...so.. back to shopping

I will need crossbars and a carrier when I find a kayak. Any advice there?

****s emailed a flyer recently that had 3 kayaks under $500.

Not all kayaks are fishing friendly

That's why I have asked. I am thinking of skipping the Somerset show and just going to Lancaster. This will save me money and hopefully help me justify to my wife a kayak.

Just tell her you need it really,really bad.

sandfly wrote:
Nucanoe, best out there with a bad back. I know. great on reservoirs and lakes

Income tax time and I am looking to buy. Would like to check out NuCanoe. What are your showroom hours?

Krayfish, I don't agree with hitting a stump/stick/rock and pop on your pontoons.

I've ran them for the last 14 years, just sold one here a few months ago. Its been scratched, run up on rocks, beaver piles, and lord knows what else. I have 0 repairs in that boat. That boat had a LOT of river miles on it!

It was a full sized cat though, not a single. I wouldn't for the life of me shake a stick at one.

They are maneuverable as heck.

One downfall is loading in a cat. You have to pay more attention where things are placed...in bigger cats anyways. Its not a big deal but it can row funny. That said I was doing a lot of back bouncing out of mine for people who couldn't figure out how to hold a rod let alone cast and hook a fish. It worked extremely well! We also floated for trout often in it, and on the long day trip float we'd float and fish....again it worked well.

Rob,

one thing about the one man cats..is low end cheap is generally junk!!!! the frames are poorly built, and the pontoons are very poorly made! the few hundred extra you spend now you'll save later buy buying a good one. Or look for one on the used market! Its kind of like buying binoculars...buy a good pair once or pay for a good pair 3 times over before you get the good pair buying cheaper versions! There is a HUGE difference in the bottom line cats. They may work for what you want....but don't expect them to hold up to the abuse....I'm hard on things big time! If it survives my use, I buy more with no question! I'm not a one man cat guy, however I do have plenty of stick time in them. My buddy owns a couple, they work extremely well!

Dan,
I've seen someone go through a chute thinking it was 2 rocks. One 'rock' was actually a root ball. It did puncture the boat. It's not easy to do but it can happen. Repairs were fairly easy. They can also be flipped......again, not easy to do but possible if you are inexperienced or careless.

Back