Just a hello...

SoccerGK88

SoccerGK88

I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself. I'm new to fly fishing and am trying to learn everything I can. My fiance got me interested in the sport and has been trying to help me as much as possible. I still have a lot to learn and I look forward to the challenges. Right now our focus is on catching fish (any kind will do) and finding some great locations near Royersford. My fiance already has a few of his own places back home near Pottsville but we're focusing on finding nearby locales to fish on a whim after dinner some nights.

I've noticed that this place is a full of a lot of great people willing to help each other out and hopefully someday I'll be able to help someone in return!

Welcome to the sport and board. I don't even know where Royersford is, so I can't help with locations. If you are just starting out, find a lake or pond that isn't choked with weeds and has a good bluegill/sunfish population. Catching sunnies on top will improve your hook-up skills. There is a lot of learning and experience on this board and you won't be shamed for asking basic questions. In fact, those threads are often the most interesting, so if you have questions, ask away.

Well you two probably did the right thing by putting a pretty girl as the face for your request. French Creek is just minutes from you, Pickering Creek is close, the Schuykill right behind that old plant in downtown Royerford/Spring City is good for bass, the Manatawny flows into Pottstown, the Perkiomen up at Oaks is good for bass. That should get you started.

"I've noticed that this place is a full of a lot of great people "

Ma'am you apperently have the wrong site :lol:

Just remember when you are starting out....there is a whole lot of unnecessary "stuff" in this sport. Just get a few elk hiar caddis patterns or some poppers and go the the closest pond and play with the bluegills. You will get the techniques down AND catch fish. Something more than a few of us still can't do. :-o

After you get started on Bluegill in the ponds, you could try the Brandywine near Downingtown to get some stream experience. You can catch tons of chubs there using dry's, streamers and nymphs, and you may get lucky and land a holdover :) Many of the chubs I've got there are 8-12" and are fairly similar to hooking and playing trout. The stream will also help you practice mending, line control and many casts that are unecessary in stillwater.

Wow! Thanks for all the advice! I'll be sure to try the Schuylkill down at the bridge between Spring City and Royersford. I've got a little stream experience as we've fished in Schuylkill County and in New Hampshire on the Saco. Before we went out the first time we did a lot of practicing in the backyard. Casting and such. I still have an issue with knots (any tips?) My fiance says I whip it too much, whatever that means.

Thanks again guys. I look forward to battering you with questions :)

SoccerGK88 wrote:
I still have an issue with knots (any tips?) My fiance says I whip it too much, whatever that means. ...

You mean the good ol' "wind knot?" With the suggestion that you whip it too much, you may be starting your forward cast too soon or accelerating too quickly at the transition. Try thinking of the cast like this: 1-pull, 2-accelarate, 3-stop, 4-pause, 5-push, 6-accelerate, 7-stop. You may need to pause longer or you may be skipping 5-push.

Line speed is a killer unless you are good at casting. Slow it down, cast from your shoulder and use your wrist at little as possible. This will help you bring out a slow, huge opened loop line that will tangle much less. Once you get comfortable with that you can start getting the line faster to close that loop.

This is the approch that helped me learn, but I'm sure there will be a thousand posts after this telling you that you should instead do it "this way". There is no universal right way to cast, the right way is what works for you, but hopefully this one can help. Try out all the different methods from the advise you get and just stick with the one that works best for you.

I've found using a shorter leader helps. Try 7.5 feet or so. Also, using heavier tippet cuts down on the knots and makes them easier to untie.

Unfortunately, in the pressured waters around these parts it can be hard to catch fish on anything other than a long, thin leader.

It's hard to be sure from your description, but it sounds like you have the same problem as my wife did when she first started. I used to tell her to stop "waving" it back and forth so much. She basically wasn't pausing at the end of each stroke, which is what JackM described too. Pause at the end of the stroke and let the line pretty much straighten out before starting the stroke in the other direction. My wife couldn't seem to grasp this from me just telling her what to do. She finally got it when I held her arm and casted it for her while she held the rod, so that she could feel the rhythm. Maybe this will work if your fiance' does this for you.

One of the best descriptions I've heard of the casting stroke itself is that it's like flicking paint from a paint brush: accelerate the rod and then stop it suddenly in a flicking motion, in both the forward stroke and the back stroke. But, like thedude said, don't do it too fast, and don't bend your wrist much when you do it.

I believe it was Joan Wulff who came up with that paint brush analogy. She has some fantastic casting instruction videos and books. Check her out sometime! Very clear and engaging explanations!

i just move to royersford, but grew up in the area.
e-mail me if you guys would like to get together to fish.

Skiltonian
skilton1974@yahoo.com

I like the paintbrush analogy. I'm going to try that. I think I do need to pause more so I'll do some counting as well. I've tried having Matt help me cast by taking my arm but sometimes it just doesn't work.

@ Skiltonian...we will have to get together sometime. I'll send ya an email one week when I know we're def. going out somewhere.

Welcome,

Get a casting lesson if you can.

I'm not a pro by any means, but the following drill has helped my wife and a few friends I have taught feel the rod load:

Get about 30 ft of line out on the grass. Hold onto the line by the reel with your left hand. Keep this hand still and hold onto the line. Flick the line back and forth on the grass. Let the line stop on the grass completely with each flick before doing the new one. You should feel a tug on your line hand and feel the rod "load" at the same time with each "flick" or cast as the line unfurls.

One of the big problems I see with novice casters is there left hand (reel hand) follows the reel when they cast and they can't feel the rod load.

If you decide to get a lesson, I would strongly recommend Mark DeJong at the Sporting Gentleman. I believe a four hour lesson costs $120. Mark Is an excellent, low-key instructor, and he knows Ridley Creek like the back of his hand. I caught my first trout during my lesson with him. Also, if you need to pick up any gear, they give students a 20% off coupon.

Welcome to the board. There are indeed plenty of places around to fish. I've fished a bunch of Schuylkill County brookie streams and find them to be quite good, I'm looking for more. But don't tell me, I like figuring this stuff out myself.
The Perky is my home stream, it fishes quite well during the summer, but mostly early in the day during the trico hatches and blue quill hatches. The others mentioned are also fine, though I'm surprised no one mentioned Valley Creek, which is right down the road from Royersford.

Thanks again for all the great tips guys. I'm going to try each one and see what works best! I don't have the money to afford lessons so I'll just do it on my own. I can't wait till we get some more free time to go explore all these great locations you've shared.

Ah, yes, Valley Creek :-o a good friend and fine fisher once told me that I should hold off fishing VC long enough until I got good enough to fully appreciate a lesson in humility. He was certainly correct. :-D

Welcome to the Board SoccerGK88!
Coughlin

Soccer - you have a LOT of trouting as well as spiny ray )and salt ffishing around here in SE PA. Good move!

Re resources: Sporting Gentleman has another and very well respected guide/teacher in the person of Mary Kusse. I say this not because of her gender but because of her abilities, which I have watched in action. She is especially great with beginners, especially children, who can be a real trial and a challenge to teachers. (I know, since I sometimes teach casting - but I won't teach a kid how to ffish, except maybe grandkids when the time comes)

Close to you, outside Phoenixville, is French Creek Outfitters, which has everything outdoors but with Jeff Nissle (sp?) and Jack Mickievich (I think that's the spelling), they have considerable fly expertise.

Join up with a TU - the one closest to you might be the Valley Forge chapter, which has had a great deal to do with safeguarding Valley Creek and West Valley. In fact, every May they have a 1 day ffishing course ($50 or so) which teaches streamcraft, casting, and includes ffishing on a private bass pond and 2 hrs of guided trouting on the stream.

Another trout/fly club which you might try is Dame Juliana League, which I think is based in Kimberton and helps a lot with French Creek and Pickering.

These clubs usually take a break in the summer, but ought to be back in the monthly meeting groove in Sept. It doesn't cost anything to just show up and partake.

tl
les

Back