Juniata conditions

They are releasing more water out of Raystown. Have to wait and see what the flow is by tomorrow >

Attachments

• 1689967576627.png
    1689967576627.png
    5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Dear Board,

Does anyone ever look at the MARFC page?

Juniata River at Newport is forecast to rise 9 inches by this time tomorrow. At 5 feet while it might be fishable clarity-wise it's not going to be very hospitable wading.

Might better bring a spinning rod and some floating Rapala's in Fire Tiger and Clown colors. ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Last edited:
Man we used to smash smallies on the Skuke with that fire tiger pattern on gear back in the day (15 years ago)

The Juniata will likely be above 5' tomorrow at Newport. I often look at the flow at the Raystown dam and equate it to the lower gages. It appears the release will put the flow at around 5.6' at the dam (see below gage reading). It will take some time for the flow to raise gages below.

I just looked at the river at the Mcveytown launch. She's definitely rising quickly and getting off colored. Wading will be tough in many places. Clarity right now really isn't bad. I could see the bottom in 18" of water or so. It's gonna keep getting worse though.
PXL 20230721 214144128

better than I thought it might be... at this time. huntingdon peaked at 3pm.

I just looked at the river at the Mcveytown launch. She's definitely rising quickly and getting off colored. Wading will be tough in many places. Clarity right now really isn't bad. I could see the bottom in 18" of water or so. It's gonna keep getting worse though. View attachment 1641231599
Google says the ramp is closed. Is this true?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 6.27.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-07-21 at 6.27.47 PM.png
    544.1 KB · Views: 11
It wasn't "closed" when I was there. Probably some automatic Google response due to rising water conditions.

Edit: I just opened your picture. It says "permanently closed." That's definitely wrong. It is used often and not even that old.

Last edited:
Drove over/along the Raystown Branch (above the dam) on the TPike on the way to Pittsburgh to see my folks today. It was chocolate milk and pushing hard, but in its banks. FWIW.

Newport gauge is almost 3k and will likely rise / get dirty. Give it a day or so and head way upriver

river was still muddy in Huntingdon. I was surprised. I noticed on my drive down that Standing stone (not a particularly clear creek) still was quite muddy. Had to pivot to the RBJ, which was clear as expected. Gees, it might take until Tuesday or later to be in good fly fishing shape

On my way to work this morning the Juniata looked nearly perfect to me. I did not check any gauges, but by using landmarks (such as islands) for reference it is not that high. It is higher than it often is in the summer, but certainly fishable. Clarity looked pretty good, too.

Anybody get an eye on it recently? I'm talking somewhere in between Lewistown and mifflintown. The gauges are showing me one thing and the Noaa prediction is telling me something completely different

I just got home from being on a boat on the Juniata just above Lewistown and earlier I was near Mifflintown. The water is perfect n levels are good. The bite wasn't great, but conditions were.

It was stained and fished poorly for me downriver vicinity Newport yesterday (see report).

I just got home from being on a boat on the Juniata just above Lewistown and earlier I was near Mifflintown. The water is perfect n levels are good. The bite wasn't great, but conditions were.

If it was clean up where you were at and dirty down where Dave was at.... Where is the stain coming in? Jack's Creek?

If it was clean up where you were at and dirty down where Dave was at.... Where is the stain coming in? Jack's Creek?
Kish was stained yesterday, Jack's was stained yesterday, but the river in Mifflintown/Arch Rock looked fine to me. If the river was severely stained below that I'd guess Tuscarora Creek. Who knows.

Fishing sucked either way.

Standing Stone was dumping in a good amount of mud in huntingdon still today. While the area around Huntingdon proper received comparatively little rain, areas closer to state college where SS watershed begins got dumped on in short order (check the Houserville gauge) yesterday AM.
The river was quite dirty downstream of SS. Once the Raystown mixed at the point the water downstream was "flyfishable".
SS generated a solid "mudline" and the fish seemed to like that

Attachments

• tempImage6LcQde.png
    tempImage6LcQde.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 26
I'm taking boat again tomorrow. We will see what it is like.

Kish was stained yesterday, Jack's was stained yesterday, but the river in Mifflintown/Arch Rock looked fine to me. If the river was severely stained below that I'd guess Tuscarora Creek. Who knows.

Fishing sucked either way.
Dear jifigz,

The big dump that trashed Penns Creek continued SE across the region and wound up around Millersburg or on the Susky. Any tributary on the north side of Juniata down to Duncannon was probably turd brown.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Back