Juniata conditions

Millerstown over to selinsgrove and further east got soaked last evening. 1.5 - 3.5 inches depending on your location. Gages spiked and it should blow out of here in w days or so. Next situation is Thursday which could be more widespread. Lower humidity for the weekend is great news

water was clear enough with good visibility. you can see the color in the deeper holes. Unfortunately, fishing was not good for me. Plenty of smalls and only one quality fish (underneath). I was stubborn and mostly fished on top. I should have known better. A bunch of boats preceded us and fish weren't even going after the damsel flies hitting the surface. May be things picked up in the evening.

water was clear enough with good visibility. you can see the color in the deeper holes. Unfortunately, fishing was not good for me. Plenty of smalls and only one quality fish (underneath). I was stubborn and mostly fished on top. I should have known better. A bunch of boats preceded us and fish weren't even going after the damsel flies hitting the surface. May be things picked up in the evening.
I fished the C&R section last night (upper portion). The evening was solid with fish transitioning from damselflies to pale mayflies during magic hour.

I fished the C&R section last night (upper portion). The evening was solid with fish transitioning from damselflies to pale mayflies during magic hour.
I think you're talking about the something else. All of the Little J is catch and release and the Juniata has no such regs. We are speaking of the Juniata.... Not the Little Juniata.

The lower Juniata River is managed as catch and release for bass. I think this starts around Lewistown or Port Royal (I'm not sure as I don't harvest bass).

PFBC put this rule in place (also on the main stem Susquehanna) some years ago as a result of the bass crash in the mid-oughts. The population has recovered in the lower Juniata, but they have kept the C&R regs - thankfully in my opinion.

The lower Juniata River is managed as catch and release for bass. I think this starts around Lewistown or Port Royal (I'm not sure as I don't harvest bass).

PFBC put this rule in place (also on the main stem Susquehanna) some years ago as a result of the bass crash in the mid-oughts. The population has recovered in the lower Juniata, but they have kept the C&R regs - thankfully in my opinion.
Dang I don’t keep bass either but had no idea. Smallies in Susky drainage and Browns after July 24rth will have species specific harvest protections now lol. With brook trout’s decline of less than 1% subwatersheds estimated in 2008 to be fully intact i guess its not serious enough yet to make protection regs like browns and bass got.

Were people keeping bass in any numbers prior to the regs? I am if ignorant on that.

I actually forgot about that. I thought they had lifted the C&R down below Port Royal.

Yes, up river people most definitely keep bass. A fair number.....that depends on what you describe as a fair number, but people definitely keep smallmouths.

I actually forgot about that. I thought they had lifted the C&R down below Port Royal.

Yes, up river people most definitely keep bass. A fair number.....that depends on what you describe as a fair number, but people definitely keep smallmouths.
Really? They don’t taste that good in my experience. Had one cooked at a YMCA camp as a kid and it sucked. But then again so do freshly stocked trout.still kinda suprised

Wow. My buddy cooked (over a fire) a couple Susky smallmouth, before C&R was put in place, and it was some of the best tasting fish I've eaten.
I agree. Smallmouth are absolutely delicious.

I think you're talking about the something else. All of the Little J is catch and release and the Juniata has no such regs. We are speaking of the Juniata.... Not the Little Juniata.
Inaccurate? Yes. Condescending? Yes. The river is quite long, and I added a general area to distinguish from the experience described in the prior post.

Inaccurate? Yes. Condescending? Yes. The river is quite long, and I added a general area to distinguish from the experience described in the prior post.
Jeesh dude. I made an error. Forgive me. And previously admitted my error. Mistakes happen.

I suggest dueling fly rods at 10 paces to settle the matter 🤣

I suggest dueling fly rods at 10 paces to settle the matter 🤣

Euro rods for the win at that distance.

Or a St. Croix Imperial if going bull rush style. I know police officers who carry those.

If anyone can get eyes on the Juniata today, it would be helpful.

It's rising fast after the torrential storms last night. There's probably a bunch of us hoping to hit the J this weekend and some intel on clarity would be much appreciated.

Lewistown way the clarity is perfectly fine. Kish has already crested and is dropping but it's adding chocolate mud water to the river. Above kish the river looks great right now. Flows are good. I fished the river last night and it was up quite a bit for this time of year. At my house (Mcveytown) my rain gauge read 1.75" this morning. I'll update on river conditions later tonight.

doesn't look good based on the gauge at Huntingdon. But, let's see what Jifigz's eyes say

Juniata at Huntingdon was a bit higher and real muddy on the edges this morning on my way to work.

Back