Juniata conditions

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

I know there is still some water to enter the system, but has anyone seen the clarity of the middle Juniata (Lewistown-Thompsontown)? FF fishable tomorrow?
I am pleased how well the watersheds has absorbed the rains over the past 3 days. I hope that leads to sustained levels for a while rather than those spikes caused by gully washers. Thanks

I'm 100% sure the river will be fine unless they got crazy amounts of rain in Bedford or something. I work directly beside the river in Lewistown and I'll update you later.

The river is 100% unaffected by rain. It is low and clear

Is there any good on foot wading access near Dun-canon? Have never fished it but imagine if I can get access to river no one will give me crap about wading up and down in the stream bed?

Is there any good on foot wading access near Dun-canon? Have never fished it but imagine if I can get access to river no one will give me crap about wading up and down in the stream bed?
I am not familiar with Duncannon area of the river but anywhere I have ever been in the Juniata wading is very accessible.

It is a public river. No one can say anything to you if you're in the water.

There’s a SGL and accompanying lot on the west side of the river a few miles up from Duncannon, from which you can get access to the river and park your vehicle in a public lot on public land. I’ve had good days in that stretch before.

There’s a SGL and accompanying lot on the west side of the river a few miles up from Duncannon, from which you can get access to the river and park your vehicle in a public lot on public land. I’ve had good days in that stretch before.
I just fished that section last Saturday evening. Caught a fair amount of fish - nothing really of any size but it was a fun couple of hours.

I hit it once during a mega Damselfly hatch, or whatever you call it when there’s Damselflies everywhere. And people think Brookies will eat anything. When I swung a Wooly Bugger through a run, I’d have half a dozen fish bombing it on the swing, every cast. If one missed it, another would come up and smash it. They had lost their minds. Fish were eating the Damsels out of mid-air. I bet I could have swung a bare hook through those runs where they were feeding and still caught just as many. They were all small 8-9” type fish, but I caught a silly number of them. Well over 100 in maybe 3 hours. It was the silliest I’ve ever seen fish (of any species) behaving.

I was out near Granville this evening for about an hour and caught several bass. One was a nice, chunky 18" fish. It was a decent time but the bass weren't overly cooperative.

For June, the river is LOW!

i need a day to get out and fish that area on the juniata. Also want to hit the side channel on the Susky behind the island right where the Juniata comes in behind sheetz on 322, looks promising.

I was out near Granville this evening for about an hour and caught several bass. One was a nice, chunky 18" fish. It was a decent time but the bass weren't overly cooperative.

For June, the river is LOW!
Dear jifigz,

It's kind of low for any month. ;)

The recent rain event while copious in certain regions, did absolutely nothing to the Susquehanna in Harrisburg. A brief 6" rise and then poof!, it was gone. West of Harrisburg got much less rain so no wonder the J is low.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

thanks for the assist! Plans had to change from a float to a wade trip. Bass were quiet until 1:00 then started hitting on top regularly. caught a number in the mid- to high teens. I had to leave at 4. Mostly got exercise from 10-1. I guess the cool day Wednesday and cool night had them sleepy. They didn't even hit underneath until the sun warmed the water. It was a gorgeous day to be out

We are getting some serious rain right now. I can't wait to go home and check the rain gauge. The storms here in Miff-Co (the last 3) are bringing successively more rain each time. This one is by far the best. I am gonna be on some mountain streams over the weekend and this will add some much needed flows, I hope.

But this rain we are getting might impact the Juniata flows. It is coming down in a glorious, glorious fashion,

I saw 1380 CFS at new port. Anyone know if this will be lower water and exposed bank or brisk higher flow for this area? USGS used to have a historical average flow line

We are getting some serious rain right now. I can't wait to go home and check the rain gauge. The storms here in Miff-Co (the last 3) are bringing successively more rain each time. This one is by far the best. I am gonna be on some mountain streams over the weekend and this will add some much needed flows, I hope.

But this rain we are getting might impact the Juniata flows. It is coming down in a glorious, glorious fashion,
I guess Penns missed this.:(

E5404952 319C 4CE1 B555 687C53D3DA13
6FCDE187 DD7C 4507 B148 2EF806100125
C828BE14 A986 4B99 8EC1 C61E14D0B78E
7DE3EBD3 5870 4655 9677 9203D2CA5956
Was targeting red breasts and these little guys were a welcome surprise. Thanks for all the above info on lower Juanita spots and conditions.

Back