It's almost 2023, name your favorite brookie setup

My Brookie setup - 6' 3wt bamboo.
And I agree with Sasquatch, it is a specialty rod that is only really useful on brookie streams about the size of the creek in this pic.

Most of my other rods that get used are all longer and in the 4 & 5 wt range, which would also work on this creek.

Brookie 2

I have several brookie setups with no real favorite. It all depends on how much cover I'm fishing around. I have everything from a 6' 2wt to a 8 1/2' 3wt I use for brook trout streams. Just depends on how thick the cover is on the banks and how large the stream is. I build all my rods and my 2 favorite are Batson Rainshadow RX6 6'6" 2wt and a 7'9" 3wts. Those rods are great for the price! They have since changed to the Unity blanks.

You really do not need any special "brookie" set up. Your standard 9'5wt is not going to hinder you on a small brushy stream. In fact, it may give you some extra reach in very tight spots. Short, extra light wt rods are "fun" for a time, but they're a novelty ultimately.
I disagree. Not trying to talk down to people who wish to use a 9ft. 5wt for brookies but that is way overkill for the size of the creek I am fishing. You'd also have an issue with felt strike detection on smaller fish (2-3 inch range) resulting in lower potential fish caught, although I personally try and "shake" the brookies off of my hook after I catch them. You could also launch some fish to the moon if a harsher hookset is used. I think we also have to discuss the sizes of the creeks we typically fish for brook trout. My favorite brook trout creek is about 7 ft. wide so using a 9ft 5wt there would be like using a .338 Lapua to shoot a white tail deer.

I would also like to state your comment on short ultra rods being a novelty is incorrect as they certainly have their place in my quiver and are used by many others. If you were to call my SAGE Little ONE 1wt 8'2" strapped with its Ari T Hart F2 a novelty I'd laugh until I was blue in the face. Calling a super small lightweight rod a "novelty" is like calling a putter a novelty, it's just another "club" in the proverbial rod caddy that MOST DEFINITELY has its place. I get it if you don't care for super light rods, as you entitled to fish with what you want to use, but stating that the ultralight rods are a joke is downright nonsensical.

A novelty would be more akin to a Tenkara rod, and yes, I am not here to say people shouldn't fish Tenkara nor will I say it is not fly fishing. A Tenkara style rod is fished more for the fun of it than having any real world applications where it would be more suitable than fishing a conventional fly rod.

Last edited:
Dream Catcher Trico Mite (6’6” 3 wt) with Lamason LP-1.

I disagree. Not trying to talk down to people who wish to use a 9ft. 5wt for brookies but that is way overkill for the size of the creek I am fishing. You'd also have an issue with felt strike detection on smaller fish (2-3 inch range) resulting in lower potential fish caught, although I personally try and "shake" the brookies off of my hook after I catch them. You could also launch some fish to the moon if a harsher hookset is used. I think we also have to discuss the sizes of the creeks we typically fish for brook trout. My favorite brook trout creek is about 7 ft. wide so using a 9ft 5wt there would be like using a .338 Lapua to shoot a white tail deer.
Exactly...A 9' 5wt is what I tell everyone who wants 1 rod that does it all just get that rod. If you want to specialize rods 1-4wts are probably best for our brook trout. Length of rod depends on the size of the water and the type of cover you are fishing around.

“Brookie set-up” to me implies small fish caught on small waters on a modest selection of flies so first off, I am sans my Richardson Box and bigger water/more flies required set-up and instead using an over the shoulder bag with a few necessities and one small fly box.

While I always fish the longest rod I can get away with, when I’m fishing places I think of as brookie streams I am most likely fishing rods no longer than 7’0” because I can maneuver through the brush a little easier and I like using them. Keeping it to 7’0” and under, rod-wise I have many choices from a 5’0” 3wt Winston Retro to 7’0” rods of bamboo & glass in 3 & 4wt. I don’t own any graphite rods shorter than 7’6”.

I also do the Tenkara thing so IF I have the room to cast an 11 -12 foot rod, there are a few places I fish Tenkara exclusively because the reach and being able to keep line off the water while drifting around large rocks is a huge plus. Because a Tenkara rod collapses, walking through the woods & brush is a lot easier than with a long conventional fly rod.

So with the bag over my shoulder and excluding Tenkara and a few other 7 footers I may use on occasion, the combos I use most often are my 6’6” 3wt Winston Retro, a 6’6” 4wt Orvis Flea, an Orvis 7/3 or 7/4 and my 7’0” 3wt Tom Morgan Rodsmiths.

All the reels I use are exclusively click & pawl, all Hardy with the exception of an Abel CFO or two in the mix.

You may not be willing to go this route...but the Cabelas CGR has a 7'6" 5wt, and it fishes very well. It's sort of my all around work horse. I line it w/ 5wt wf and it casts quite nicely.
I'd have to try the C.G.R. 5wt 7'6". I have the C.G.R. in the 2wt 6'2" platform and have found it abysmal. $50, if anyone is interested, only lawn casted VERY briefly.

7' 4" 3wt glass rod w/ Ross Colorado for me. Galvan reels are incredible. I've switched all my larger reels to Galvan Torques. The drag is absolutely incredible. Not necessary for brookies obviously.

Over the years I've tried all kinds of rod length/weight combos brookie fishing from 6' 0wt to 8'-5wt. I've even taken a 11' 2 wt euro rod which is interesting but not efficient. The sweet spot for me on the vast majority of streams I fish is 7' (and change) 3wt.

I've said it before but I think it bears repeating. The Redington CT 7'-6" 2wt or 3wt is an incredibly durable and fun rod. That was my go-to brookie rod for a long time.

The other rod I like to use since it was the first rod I ever bought is a South Bend 290 bamboo with a Pfleuger medalist. It's a fun dry-dropper rod.

View attachment 1641227818
I second the Classic Trout. I borrowed one once in the 4wt 8'6" configuration and it was a pretty fun rod to fish. It casted well and is a pretty nice 4wt. Good looking stick too. Doesn't compare to the H3F 4wt 8'6" (what does?) (maybe a Scott Radian, G. Loomis Asquith, or some Winston dry fly rod) but it's good enough for this rod snob. I may scoop one and buy back my SAGE 503l that I traded away as a reel for it.

Never cared much for the Pflueger 1494, but the one I had was pretty beat. I like the Orvis Madison, which appears to be the same reel but has much nicer colors (light and dark gray) that pair well to an H3F.

“Brookie set-up” to me implies small fish caught on small waters on a modest selection of flies so first off, I am sans my Richardson Box and bigger water/more flies required set-up and instead using an over the shoulder bag with a few necessities and one small fly box.

While I always fish the longest rod I can get away with, when I’m fishing places I think of as brookie streams I am most likely fishing rods no longer than 7’0” because I can maneuver through the brush a little easier and I like using them. Keeping it to 7’0” and under, rod-wise I have many choices from a 5’0” 3wt Winston Retro to 7’0” rods of bamboo & glass in 3 & 4wt. I don’t own any graphite rods shorter than 7’6”.

I also do the Tenkara thing so IF I have the room to cast an 11 -12 foot rod, there are a few places I fish Tenkara exclusively because the reach and being able to keep line off the water while drifting around large rocks is a huge plus. Because a Tenkara rod collapses, walking through the woods & brush is a lot easier than with a long conventional fly rod.

So with the bag over my shoulder and excluding Tenkara and a few other 7 footers I may use on occasion, the combos I use most often are my 6’6” 3wt Winston Retro, a 6’6” 4wt Orvis Flea, an Orvis 7/3 or 7/4 and my 7’0” 3wt Tom Morgan Rodsmiths.

All the reels I use are exclusively click & pawl, all Hardy with the exception of an Abel CFO or two in the mix.
My "creeking reels" are Abel, Orvis, Bauer, and Bronson.

My "creeking reels" are Abel, Orvis, Bauer, and Bronson.
I scored an Abel No. 0 a while back and I use it occasionally as well. Beautiful little reel. I'm a sucker for anything made in the USA.

Never cared much for the Pflueger 1494, but the one I had was pretty beat. I like the Orvis Madison, which appears to be the same reel but has much nicer colors (light and dark gray) that pair well to an H3F.
You need a 1494 like this:

Medalist

Circa 1959 in mint condition, purchased on eBay for around $30 maybe 15 years ago and fully "pimped" with OnePfoot aftermarket parts.

It's spooled up and paired with a vintage Fenwick FF85-3 glass rod that ISN'T in my brookie set-up quiver. ;)

Depends on the stream conditions...

Tiny trickles and jump acrossers: 6'6" Cortland CL 2/3wt w/Orvis Battenkill
Small streams: 7'6" 4wt custom build (American Tackle Matrix) w/Orvis Battenkill.
Larger streams say like Slate Run, etc.: 8' 4wt custom build 9American Tackle Matrix) w/Orvis Battenkill.

*I also use Okuma Sierra fly reels for the setups above if I need to overline 1wt.

I scored an Abel No. 0 a while back and I use it occasionally as well. Beautiful little reel. I'm a sucker for anything made in the USA.
A have an old TR Lite in rainbow that balances well on an H3 7'6" 3wt. I wish Able made reels in that size still as they are useful for tiny rods.

I like US made stuff and think they are top dog in the fly fishing game for sure, however I have been fishing some new Hardy rods (just picked up three this year) and they have some of the best tapers I have fished. Howard Croston, the guy who designs the rods, has done a phenomenal job. They are Korean made which has deterred a lot of people from buying them at their price point. To me they are definitely worth it. I also have an Ari T Hart reel that was manufactured in New Holland I believe. It's a fantastic reel with a neat "spade" look to it. The reel is an exceptional piece of machinery and was still being serviced by the man who started the company until he passed away last year in July. May that brilliant man's soul forever rest in peace. He was a pioneer in the fly reel industry and has created a style that has yet to be duplicated. I had a G. Loomis Asquith 4wt for a few months (I trade gear non-stop) and think it was the finest 4wt I have ever owned, making even my H3F 4wt 8'6" feel ever so slightly clunky. That rod was rolled in Japan.

Anyways, the point I am trying to make is that I am just a gear nut, not necessarily tied down to one region of manufacturing. I believe that as long as the product is built out of passion and inherently well designed it will just be an overall great product to use.

I've got an LL Bean Double L 6 ft 6 inch three weight that used to be my go-to setup for brookies. Got a Midwest custom fly rod 7 ft, three weight fiberglass rod this spring that I like, but my new favorite is the 7 ft four weight Sir D Special bamboo rod that I built myself. It's a very enjoyable rod to fish on a small stream for small trout.

I have 3 rods for small freestone streams. An Orvis 6 ft 4 wt. A Sage 8’6” 4 wt and a St Croix 7 ft 3 wt. I use the Orvis for rhododendron tunnels, the Sage for more open areas and the St. Croix is a newer purchase that I’m still trying to figure out where it fits. The Orvis is probably over 30 years old and purchased used, the St Croix is about 10 years old and purchased used and the Sage is about 18 years old and purchased new. Mt reels are a Hardy Marquis, Scientific Anglers made by Hardy and a newer Lamson reel. I do a lot of brookie fishing. The Sage is my go to under most circumstances.

I do not doubt that this set up could catch Brook Trout. Would make an interesting fishing video for youtube.
I am thinking you guys are on the right track with rods that have some punch to cast through a tunnel of trees for a longer distance. For me, a shorter rod that has some power would be the ultimate. I recall hearing of someone making 5 ft flyrods that had that type of makeup. It was a guy years ago over around Carlisle?
Any rods under about 6.5 ft that I have tried do not work well. My current rod for very small streams is a 6 ft 3 inch in 3wt and it is decent. I got it at Bass Pro. I do not like long rods when fishing in brushy areas but everyone has a different approach.

This is why, while I love Fenwicks, they are just for fun and not my normal brook trout set up.

Fiberglass fly rods excel on small brushy creeks for accuracy AND durability.

You can "easily" find the rod you describe in vintage Fiberglass.
A few examples:

Constable Sceptre Midge 6'3" 4/5wt
Hardy Jet Midge 6'3" 3.5wt 2pc
Hardy Fibatube 6'1" 3.5wt 2pc
J.Kennedy Fisher 6'2" 3pc 4/5wt

All these rods have a high recovery rate, higher line speeds, plenty of "reserve power" and are made from the old phenolic resins that made absolutely wonderful fiberglass fly rods.

For short rods, they can cast a variety of line weights well and with distance, in my hands down to a 3 and up to a 6 and yet can be very delicate.

You can punch through brush with these short rods. The best part is they can truly handle larger fish on the off chance you do run into a large trout on a small stream.

Too many people equate a flexible, light lined, wimpy noodle with small stream fishing.

Last edited:
Usual issue w brookie streams: their different sizes. Attchd image is from detar pa-brookie wbtep study, showing stream drainage/size. Some familiar 15 sq km streams on list, = 5+ sq mi.

But I also fish a lot of 4 sq km/1.5 sq mi streams; smaller than any wbtep one. Only dries, few or no browns, under rhodo or hemlock branches.

-> 7'6" Redington Hydrogen 2wt cut to 5' 5," 35' rio gold 4wt line, wychwood river&stream 2 reel. Rod+reel+line = 3.2 oz. Blast to cast w/ obstructions, lucked into the Hydrogen used.

In a thread now under the forum for print, books, etc., there's a 1968 article talking about great solitude and nature experiences fishing small pa brookie streams... still true of course. I am just more optimistic about fly fishing them than that author was.

Attachments

• 20221201_081522.jpg
    20221201_081522.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
This is why, while I love Fenwicks, they are just for fun and not my normal brook trout set up.

Fiberglass fly rods excel on small brushy creeks for accuracy AND durability.

You can "easily" find the rod you describe in vintage Fiberglass.
A few examples:

Constable Sceptre Midge 6'3" 4/5wt
Hardy Jet Midge 6'3" 3.5wt 2pc
Hardy Fibatube 6'1" 3.5wt 2pc
J.Kennedy Fisher 6'2" 3pc 4/5wt

All these rods have a high recovery rate, higher line speeds, plenty of "reserve power" and are made from the old phenolic resins that made absolutely wonderful fiberglass fly rods.

For short rods, they can cast a variety of line weights well and with distance, in my hands down to a 3 and up to a 6 and yet can be very delicate.

You can punch through brush with these short rods. The best part is they can truly handle larger fish on the off chance you do run into a large trout on a small stream.

Too many people equate a flexible, light lined, wimpy noodle with small stream fishing.
I second the notion of using a fiberglass rod for this application. I have an Epic 4wt 7'6" Fast Glass I (three piece) that is just a lovely rod with a lot more line versatility than a carbon rod in the same configuration could hope to achieve. If you want to throw dries delicately use a true-to-weight 4wt line such as the Orvis Clearwater, which is what I ran on it. Want to toss some indicator rigs? Put a nice and heavy 175gr shooting head on there and make mini spey casts with it. Sadly I no longer use mine as I have subscribed to the modern world of fast graphite rods that make the snappy casts I like, but I would never say that a glass rod in general is inadequate for small creeks or fishing in general, but we have our preferences.

Fiberglass rods are inherently more durable but I have never broken my graphite rods on a small creek. My Abel took a tumble onto some rocks this year but the sound of it smacking the boulder sounded worse than the damage done. Would much rather have that hit the rocks than my Rolex.

Back