Is working up-stream dead?

What's wrong with a bag of crackers. Fox, you made me spit up water through my nose with that one. Good to see you on the board again.

Swattie87 wrote:
NewSal wrote:
Where the hell do I order one

If you gotta ask, you can't afford one man.
thanks guys-I really need bucking up--lol

There's a lot of variables that make you decide to work up or downstream.

Hook_Jaw wrote:

There's a lot of variables that make you decide to work up or downstream.
this is true-once on the Lamar in Yellowstone I was fishing across stream from a real beauty from California-- her husband had gone rushing upstream to get ahead---she kept smiling and talking and asking me questions-I would have stayed with her even if she wanted to wade into old faithful.

hehe

On Penn's, it's a different ballgame. Everywhere has been fished. It's about fishing the water you want to fish, when you want to fish it. But that changes throughout the day.

That guy will likely be nymphing the riffle, watching the pool he wants to fish in evening.

You want the riffle, as spinners won't fall for a while anyway. Be visible. Cough to make sure he sees you. Start walking towards the pool. He will leave his spot and rush to the pool to beat you there. Play along, pretend to lose, then take the riffle he just vacated. Catch fish while he stands around waiting.

Now comes evening and you want the pool he's now holding, as it'll turn on soon, and your 4 buds are coming to join the evening festivities. Take the friendly route. Go ahead by yourself, like your alone. Ask the guy if you can slide in 150 yards downstream of him or so. When he says yes, then go back, get your 4 buds, and then everyone spread out below him till he leaves.

These are the keys to your castle.

An older flyfisher (older than me) once told me that since wet fly fishing is the most traditional form of fly fishing (which is certainly true), and since wet fly fishermen usually fish downstream, that the dry fly and nymph fishermen, who usually fish upstream, should yield to those fishing downstream.

He described this as accepted flyfishing etiquette.

So, what is traditional depends on whether you choose old traditions, or more recent ones.

For once pcray is spreading some good information on this site. Great tactics!

Nymph - Upstream
Dry/Dropper - Either
Dry - Upstream, unless I'm fishing Grannoms
Wet - Downstream
Streamer - Downstream

Pcray im surprised with your non virgin remarks but I like it.

troutbert wrote:
An older flyfisher (older than me) once told me that since wet fly fishing is the most traditional form of fly fishing (which is certainly true), and since wet fly fishermen usually fish downstream, that the dry fly and nymph fishermen, who usually fish upstream, should yield to those fishing downstream.

He described this as accepted flyfishing etiquette.

So, what is traditional depends on whether you choose old traditions, or more recent ones.

Never heard that one before, that's the problem with unwritten rules. I was always told downstreamer yields by many different people, old and young.

I've been around long enough to know that fly fishermen are all polite a-holes. Both can be used. But you gotta fight fire with fire. Be a polite ****** in combat situations.

If you ask someone to fish near them, nobody is rude enough to say no. They are polite, and you asked politely, so etiquette dictates you can always get permission to crowd someone. The downfall here is that they are still there, crowding you. And some are too dang stubborn to leave. You have to try to judge ahead of time.

But if you make them think you really want a spot that's currently vacant, they'll do anything to take it from you. So if it's really THEIR spot you want you can trick them into vacating it by running a play action and faking like you want to be somewhere else.

In this way you can fish anywhere, anytime, regardless of how crowded it is. :)

Heck, at Erie, you can just pretend you missed a couple of fish in a riffle somewhere and the whole crowd will leave the pool to check out that riffle. As they walk in tell them there's a pod there but they are really hard to see.

Back to the OP.

This is the way it should work and this is only opinion.

Two guys fishing, one working upstream, the other down.

They end up fishing within sight of each other.

Who should yield first? That would be the one who moves first.

It's really that simple. You are both out there to fish and enjoy the outdoors. No need to be a Richard Cranium, either way.

the sensible thing to do is move to Montana and wade fish the big rivers alone at night-that way you could be sure you a lone idiot-
winter time-wait to the ice breaks up and you risk being crushed by floating ice-same as above...

When fishing a pond, anyone fishing clockwise should yield to those fishing in a counterclockwise direction. ;-)

What can I say, I cast left handed.

funny you brought that up farmer-
down here they just re-opened the jetties on what is considered the best inlet to fish on the entire east coast--
they had to close the jetties to fishing as the jetty fishermen were trying to hurt the boaters coming through that got too close--for years they had an armed person keeping watch but budget cuts stopped that.
mixed emotions here because I may have aimed at a few surfers off piers.

FarmerDave wrote:
Back to the OP.

It's really that simple. You are both out there to fish and enjoy the outdoors. No need to be a Richard Cranium, either way.

I never asked for your opinion on what to do, I just asked what do you do. But thanks ;-)

NewSal wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Back to the OP.

I never asked for your opinion on what to do, I just asked what do you do. But thanks ;-)

OK then. Please allow me to rephrase that.

I usually yield regardless of which direction I am fishing, which is usually upstream, because I am usually the one to move first. It's the polite thing to do.;-)

and there is a whole lot to move so takes awhile.

pete41 wrote:
and there is a whole lot to move so takes awhile.

Used to be.

Lost about 70 lbs. OK, there is still a lot to move but I'm still working on it. ;-)

Back