Is working up-stream dead?

Am I the only person that fishes away from the starting point and then fishes back to the starting point? It means that I spend equal time fishing in each direction. How can it be otherwise?

Yes, I honor the "downstream yields to upsteam" rule, just because it's the convention, much like driving on right side of the road. I don't believe there was ever a practical reason for the convention, though -- somebody is going muddy the other person's water regardless of who yields. I think the convention got started when 19th century "gentlemen" (meaning the leisured class who had time to wait out a hatch) fished dry flies upstream and expected the peasantry to yield.

There are many advantage to fishing downstream, and only a few to fishing upstream. Trout have nearly 360 degree vision; you can't really sneak up on then any better from below that from above. I always seem to spook more fish while fishing upstream. Fishing down allows a fly-before-line presentation, and usually involves less false casting - both advantages in not giving yourself away. It allows dry flies to be skittered, and wet flies to have a vertical motion.

The main advantages to fishing upstream is the fact that you don't muddy the water you're about to fish -- this is a tremendous advantage in streams with silty bottoms. It's offset that fishing downstream can create a "chum line"by dislodging invertebrates (not that doing so deliberately is at all sporting, but it happens).

Yes, you pull the hook into the mouth of a fishing while fishing upstream, but that requires action on your part. A fish is much more likely to hook itself fishing downstream. And I wish that fish never got deep hooked while fishing down -- I've probably killed several in the two weeks that were gut hooked on a swung wet. (This is more about direction of presentation, though, than direction of movement -- as is the fact that it's easier to get a dead drift presenting upstream.)

There are often exceptions, but in general I follow the practice of fishing upstream with dries and downstream with everything else.

Swattie87 wrote:
I see a lot of spincasters working downstream...just sayin'. :-o

If they're doing it, it's probably just plain wrong.

It's fishing. How can fishing be wrong?

Yea, casting upstream is productive and reduces the chance of hooking one deep, but it is more work to make the spinner, spin. ;-)

NewSal wrote:

Thanks for all the enlightenment in this thread Farmerdave, when do I pick up my degree in Farmerdave wisdom

You are not even close do earning a degree in the FarmerDave school of common courtesy.

First off, I made it fairly clear that I was mostly joking throughout this thread. I may not have used little winky faces everywhere, but there were many clues.

Also, your OP was way more serious than any response you got, yet you were surprised. Sounded to me like someone ticked you off because he fished upstream of you.

And I started reading your linked blog and laughed.

Maybe the problem is I didn't learn how to fish from the internet, but I don't view that as a problem.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I prefer less crowded streams, but on the occasion I do visit a crowded stream, I usually extend extra courtesy. Sometimes even when steelhead fishing.

Did you really think I didn't know that there are people out there that think that their way is the right way, so others should yield? Or that sometimes they even get bent out of shape, sometimes even when the other person does yield because they think they are not doing it right?

It's fishing for Pete sake, and if I ever get to the point of being bent out of shape by a perceived slight, I'll give it up.

Should the guy working downstream yield to the guy working his way up? Sure. But I don't care one way or the other. If he isn't yielding, then I yield and that way, neither of our days are ruined.

I am out there for the enjoyment and I find no enjoyment in conflict when I am on the stream.

Dave, please don't tell anyone about the honey infused dry fly floatatnt. I prefer to stand in the middle of Penns Crick in my neck high waders casting either direction to rising fish. My double barreled fly rod in 4 and 5 wt. makes it easy. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
Dave, please don't tell anyone about the honey infused dry fly floatatnt. I prefer to stand in the middle of Penns Crick in my neck high waders casting either direction to rising fish. My double barreled fly rod in 4 and 5 wt. makes it easy. GG

that experiment didn't work because honey is heavier than water. It also sucks up water. But it does make a decent sinking solution.

My usual method on Penns, is upon first arriving, get chased from the shoreline by an angry dog, walk to the middle of the stream where the dog can't easily reach me and them promptly fall in soaking my underwear. Then I walk back to the truck where I strip down to my boxers and try to avoid being photographed by pukes with cellphones.

You see, this way anyone watching and keeping score is way too busy laughing to get ticked off because I didn't follow their rules. ;-)

I fish any which direction I want and I yield to no one.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

LOL!

Nice to see you are making flyfishing great again. ;-)

redietz wrote:
I think the convention got started when 19th century "gentlemen" (meaning the leisured class who had time to wait out a hatch) fished dry flies upstream and expected the peasantry to yield.

Thank you for this explanation. Since us FFerman are the bourgeoisie of the angling world, I plan to employ this doctrine the next time I am on stream and run into a downstream fishing spincaster, dirty pinner, master baiter, or yakker.

Ta ta for now my good gents. I am off to find a good bottle of port to go with my aged cheese whilst awaiting this evening's hatch streamside. Meet everyone back here after the hatch and dinner for cigars, brandy, and gentlemanly discussion on business and politics. Someone fetch my porter to ferry my gear to the Broadwaters pool. HA!

NewSal wrote:

You need to take responses with a grain of salt (didn't see an emoji for .NaCl anywhere).

Farmer prefers less crowded streams so fishes in Ohio -now that's down right nice of him.
Doesn't have to practice catch and release-or get his hands slimy- real genteel -

foxtrapper1972 wrote:

lol I take this same approach at times...more then likely the other angler doesn't know what they are doing in the first place and just wasting their time :lol:

FarmerDave wrote:
NewSal wrote:

Thanks for all the enlightenment in this thread Farmerdave, when do I pick up my degree in Farmerdave wisdom

You are not even close do earning a degree in the FarmerDave school of common courtesy.

First off, I made it fairly clear that I was mostly joking throughout this thread. I may not have used little winky faces everywhere, but there were many clues.

Also, your OP was way more serious than any response you got, yet you were surprised. Sounded to me like someone ticked you off because he fished upstream of you.

And I started reading your linked blog and laughed.

Maybe the problem is I didn't learn how to fish from the internet, but I don't view that as a problem.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I prefer less crowded streams, but on the occasion I do visit a crowded stream, I usually extend extra courtesy. Sometimes even when steelhead fishing.

Did you really think I didn't know that there are people out there that think that their way is the right way, so others should yield? Or that sometimes they even get bent out of shape, sometimes even when the other person does yield because they think they are not doing it right?

It's fishing for Pete sake, and if I ever get to the point of being bent out of shape by a perceived slight, I'll give it up.

Should the guy working downstream yield to the guy working his way up? Sure. But I don't care one way or the other. If he isn't yielding, then I yield and that way, neither of our days are ruined.

I am out there for the enjoyment and I find no enjoyment in conflict when I am on the stream.

Take a breath buddy, kinda seems like your already bent outta shape.

And by the way i dont know if the "learned to fish from the internet" was a personal attack on me or something, but I learned to fish by trial and error man. I literally fish an average of 18 hours a week and thats on the low side, sometimes much more than that, on top of that I read some books and some stuff online but mostly trial and error

You guys are all dumber than a bag of crackers.

When encountering another angler, the goal is clearly to get ahead of him, regardless of which way he's working. If I'm go in up and he's go in down, it doesn't matter who "yields". You are both about to fish water the other just fished.

This is to be avoided. When you get to stream, step 1 is to locate other anglers. Determine which way they are fishing. Jump ahead in a passive aggressive manner. If he gets out and leaps you to get ahead again, then leap him again. Battle of wits. And if the guys serious, and this turns into a foot race, choose a poor stretch to gracefully lose. That guy now has left the area you originally wanted to fish, passed by good unfished water, and landed in poor water. So go back and fish in peace.

:)

pcray1231 wrote:
You guys are all dumber than a bag of crackers.

When encountering another angler, the goal is clearly to get ahead of him, regardless of which way he's working. If I'm go in up and he's go in down, it doesn't matter who "yields". You are both about to fish water the other just fished.

This is to be avoided. When you get to stream, step 1 is to locate other anglers. Determine which way they are fishing. Jump ahead in a passive aggressive manner. If he gets out and leaps you to get ahead again, then leap him again. Battle of wits. And if the guys serious, and this turns into a foot race, choose a poor stretch to gracefully lose. That guy now has left the area you originally wanted to fish, passed by good unfished water, and landed in poor water. So go back and fish in peace.

:)

How dare you bully crackers like that

Being from the western part of the state I always thought it was dependent on which lane the stocking truck stopped on the bridge.

Upstream side the first 100 yards downstream side the first 150 yards (current has a tendancy to move them a little further).

Courtesy???????

WOW-been missing PCray's wit and wisdom-he's back-good one Pat.lol

I'll usually send my porter to the stream to walk my beat in advance of my arrival. He is tasked with relocating the riff-raff to the not so good aforementioned water in pcray's post. He's on his way to Penns now in anticipation of my hatch fishing this evening.

Swattie87 wrote:
I'll usually send my porter to the stream to walk my beat in advance of my arrival. He is tasked with relocating the riff-raff to the not so good aforementioned water in pcray's post. He's on his way to Penns now in anticipation of my hatch fishing this evening.

Where the hell do I order one

NewSal wrote:
Where the hell do I order one

If you gotta ask, you can't afford one man.

Back