Is working up-stream dead?

NewSal

NewSal

I was always taught to work upstream if at all possible, kind of a Pennsylvania tradition if you will. Most of the old timers will tell you that in PA you fish upstream.

This is a good thing for multiple reasons, one of them being it keeps everyone from running into each other and criss-crossing. If everyone worked upstream then you would hardly run into other anglers, only if you fish faster than someone else, then you merely jump them - leave some room - and keep going.

I was also told / taught that downstream anglers yield to upstream anglers.

Is this tradition / style dead now? I see anglers fish downstream all the time now, probably half and half - half anglers work upstream, half anglers work downstream.

Do you fish upstream or downstream? (not fly presentation but how you move on the river)

The size of the stream and access play a role, for me at least. There's some stream sections where there's no practical way to access the downstream end of where you want to fish, unless you walk way down first, and then fish your way up(knowing its possible that other anglers behind you may start fishing immediately, working their way downstream if conditions are suitable for productive downstream fishing). And there's times when you need to do that to avoid spooking fish.

The other day I parked at a bridge on a small stream and fished my way up, then when I got back to the vehicle I decided to fish my way downstream next since the creek was flowing high and spooking fish wasn't an issue, instead of driving down to the next access and fishing up, like you would during low flows.

On big water, I don't think it matters much as far as messing up someone else's fishing goes, or getting messed up by someone else. Simply hop around them, give them a lot of space, and continue fishing.

You can argue what is "correct," etiquette wise, but everyone has their own game plans to meet their style of fishing, and flows(fish spookiness), access, etc. are all factors in my opinion. I prefer to fish upstream

Tradition? Dead?

Neither.

There is no written policy on this.

It's just that fishing upstream is usually more productive, for several reasons and that is probably why most people fish that way. And those that don't have a clue tend to follow the pack.

But frankly I don't care. This isn't golf.

If there if a spot that requires me to access from upstream. Well, I'll fish it that way.

Also, when I fish, I usually walk a considerable distance from the vehicle. Since I don't get to fish all that often, I will fish usually fish on the way up and on the way down ... or the way down and the way op, depending on where I parked.

I've never had an issue either way.

As far as who should yield, I almost always yield regardless of direction. It's called common courtesy which is what I was taught when I was a kid. Maybe that is why I never had an issue. Nobody has the right of way, so I don't expect anyone to yield to me unless they are a dirty pinner. ;-)

I'm sorry if that seemed somewhat snarky, but ... ... ... I have nothing after that.

I work upstream most of the time. If there's a spot that's better worked from above due to obstructions, casting angles, currents, etc, I'll walk up and fish that spot from above, but then I'll resume working upstream.

The main exception is fishing streamers on big streams. Then I like to go down. Makes casting easier to have everything downstream of you and not have to work across your body with those bigger flies. It's also easier to control the retrieve of the fly (and keep slack out) when it's slightly downstream of you as well, with the current swinging it a little.

I've never heard of any etiquette regarding downstream anglers yielding to upstream. Whoever was fishing that spot first has the right of way to keep fishing that spot...The other should move around with a reasonable berth (reasonable differing based on stream size and circumstances) and keep fishing. If you're working in opposite directions, once you pass each other you'll both still be working water that was just fished anyway, no matter how you slice it.

I dunno though. Is working downstream the new boo?

FarmerDave wrote:

As far as who should yield, I almost always yield regardless of direction. It's called common courtesy which is what I was taught when I was a kid. Maybe that is why I never had an issue. Nobody has the right of way, do I don't expect anyone to yield to me unless they are a dirty pinner. ;-)

And asking whether they're fishing their way up or down is always good, and sometimes that one question turns into a 20min conversation.....and you end up comparing notes when you meet on the way back, and share stories, etc.

Usually don't have to worry about dirty pinners.......most always seem to camp out in the same hole all day ;-)

streamerguy wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

As far as who should yield, I almost always yield regardless of direction. It's called common courtesy which is what I was taught when I was a kid. Maybe that is why I never had an issue. Nobody has the right of way, do I don't expect anyone to yield to me unless they are a dirty pinner. ;-)

And asking whether they're fishing their way up or down is always good, and sometimes that one question turns into a 20min conversation.....and you end up comparing notes when you meet on the way back, and share stories, etc.

Have we met? LOL!

I will only work upstream in small stream conditions or streams with no cover and very low clear water. My presentation and way I fish works better going down stream if possible. I'll cast above me, nymphs hit the correct depth straight in front of me or slightly above me, and then I can do a small swing at the bottom. I'm able to swing the nymphs through the water where I am eventually going to wade through just in case there would be a fish below me. Larger streams and rivers with more current its very hard moving up current. Its just more convenient to go with the flow.

streamerguy wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:

Usually don't have to worry about dirty pinners.......most always seem to camp out in the same hole all day ;-)

The downstream yeilding to upstream is based on that a downstream angler will disturb the water downstream of him, the upstream angler leaves the water upstream of him undisturbed, therefore if a downstream angler fishes downstream to an upstream angler the water the upstream angler was to fish is now disturbed.

But regardless there is no law on this, it was just taught to me as a basic etiquette, regardless of presentation / upstream/downstream travel - a conversation with an angler you come across is always the right thing to do, and regardless of presentation style / the way you are working you should never disturb someone elses fishing. Leaving three cast lengths between you and another angler is the bare minimum length of room you should leave another angler regardless of anything. Being out-of-sight is more preferable.

This isnt meant to say that there is a right or wrong way to fish, just curious on what is considered the norm, and so far it seems like the up-stream approach isnt so popular anymore.

FarmerDave wrote:
streamerguy wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Have we met? LOL!

Funny you should mention this...I stopped into my favorite spot last week to find a couple guys downstream of me, and asked if they were going up or down, and I got the "whatever" wave. Grr.

The guy that pulled in later and chatted with me on the bank started upstream of me though. Pretty nice guy.

I like to set up my lawn chair in a good looking spot and may anchor there for hours if the gemmies are hitting. Man some people overthink this whole thing.

The only time I work downstream trout fishing is when I'm working back towards my car/point of exit. When I'm on bass rivers I go any and all directions. I guess on big streams like Penns I sometimes go down stream too.

nymph - upstream
dry/dropper - upstream
dry - upstream
wet - downstream
streamer - downstream

I fished WCC on Saturday with two wets and it was a very enjoyable way to fish - step and cast, step and cast.

I only got one small bow on a #16 sulphur wet.

blame it on those nasty kayakers-too danged lazy to paddle upstream so everyone figures its TETO now-
just kidding but used to intensely dislike the boy scouts for daring to canoe through MY stretch of water- did I mention I can be a real jerk at times.

blame it on those nasty kayakers-too danged lazy to paddle upstream so everyone figures its TETO now-
just kidding but used to intensely dislike the boy scouts for daring to canoe through MY stretch of water- did I mention I can be a real jerk at times.

see- just proved it-DP--I hate AT&T

duckfoot wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
streamerguy wrote:
FarmerDave wrote:
Have we met? LOL!

Funny you should mention this...I stopped into my favorite spot last week to find a couple guys downstream of me, and asked if they were going up or down, and I got the "whatever" wave. Grr...

They must have been from Cleveland. LOL!

But seriously. I've had that happen to me, too.

Wife and I were just out for a ride one day during the steelhead run and as usual, it turned into a scouting trip. Was driving along dirt road that follows along the Grand River. I was very familiar with that stretch. You likely know the spot.

Was passing another vehicle at very low speed (huge holes in the road) and we both had our windows opened. While passing, I said, "how are you doing." I wasn't looking for info or anything like that. It was just a friendly greeting like saying hello.

I got the stare.

I watched in my mirror and saw where he parked and knew he was going to fish the big hole. Very popular spot. Well, I knew of another spot maybe 100 yards downstream, so I parked there.

Then I turned to my wife and said, "watch this." I got out and grabbed the spinning rod out of the back and tied on a silver jointed Rebel (or Rapala, can't remember). All I had in the truck that day was bass fishing stuff. Then I said to my wife, I'm going to catch dinner, I'll be back in 10 minutes.

Firs cast, FISH ON!.

Shortest fishing trip ever for me. Walked back to the truck and said to my wife, my mistake, it only took 5 minutes.

When nymph fishing, always upstream. When midge fishing, always upstream. When streamer fishing, always downstream. When dry-fly fishing, upstream unless you're on the Delaware or one of the other more technical streams where an upstream presentation will be laughed off the water. I believe this, because the fish face upstream, so you are approaching from their blind spot, and also because when you set the hook from downstream, you are driving the point into their head, whereas when you set the hook from upstream, you run the risk of pulling the fly from their mouth.

McSneek wrote:
I like to set up my lawn chair in a good looking spot and may anchor there for hours if the gemmies are hitting. Man some people overthink this whole thing.

You should remove the forked sticks before you leave. They are like leaving a sign that states "fish here." ;-)

NewSal wrote:

The downstream yeilding to upstream is based on that a downstream angler will disturb the water downstream of him, the upstream angler leaves the water upstream of him undisturbed, therefore if a downstream angler fishes downstream to an upstream angler the water the upstream angler was to fish is now disturbed.

Don't care.

Besides, you are disturbing the water for the guy fishing either direction below you.

Then again, the disturbance could mean more food dislodged, triggering trout to feed.

All I am saying is, courtesy is not a 1 way thing and should be based somewhat on common sense.

If anyone gets annoyed while fishing, maybe they should take up golf. I think they even have etiquette rules for that.

I tend to prefer to move upstream, but depends on the situation.

Never knew there was any etiquette questions involved, though. It's sometimes good to ask another angler which way he's working and staying away from what's ahead of him. How much room to give him is a function of how crowded it is. If it's a small brookie stream, you pretty much don't go ahead of him, even if it's literally a mile. If that means you drive elsewhere, so be it. If it's Erie tribs, I generally just stay out of that pool. If it's a long pool and crowded day maybe not even that. There's no expectation of people being free to move at will there.

Back