Is it still techinically fly fishing?

troutbert wrote:

So I found the post interesting because it raises the question of why is it that he caught a lot of brookies, but they're all small?

I don't see it as a typical distribution, but one that is surprisingly skewed towards small brook trout.

Could be that all of the larger brookies hightailed it for shelter since he was fishing practically at his boot tips.

mike_richardson wrote:
How am I spamming the forum?

Not very well. Try harder next time. ;-)

Parr for the course! You were fishing! I am sure it was a blast. Personally I liked scrolling through the different fish and seeing the variation. A college thesis on parr marks might be written off your single day variation. Good show!

DriftingDunn wrote:
troutbert wrote:

So I found the post interesting because it raises the question of why is it that he caught a lot of brookies, but they're all small?

I don't see it as a typical distribution, but one that is surprisingly skewed towards small brook trout.

Could be that all of the larger brookies hightailed it for shelter since he was fishing practically at his boot tips.

There are sterile streams where brookies are stunted. You can often tell by looking at their heads which are disproportionately larger than their bodies. But looking at these pictures, that's not the case. These fish seem to be eating well. So I do agree that the fishing technique probably got in the way of catching any larger fish.

Nice pictures. I hope your hands were wet. There's an interesting website on trout handling and mortality. Check out "keepemwet.org"

The 18 foot leader rule on FFO waters looks to be going away so the whole argument "is fishing with a long leader technically fly-fishing" will be going away except on PAFF.

Proposed by the PFBC at the most recent board meeting:

Proposed eliminating the leader length requirement in catch-and-release fly-fishing only areas. Currently, anglers fishing in these areas cannot use a leader that exceeds 18 feet in length. The amendment proposed today would allow anglers to use leaders of any length. If adopted on a final rulemaking, the amendment would go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

Here come the dirty pinners. Tighten your chinstraps.

LOL this thing popped up again.

It's awful close to Tenkara, which is almost as bad as those "dirty pinners"

carl wrote:
It's awful close to Tenkara, which is almost as bad as those "dirty pinners"

I thought I was the only one that tipped my soft hackles with a black nosed dace. That always gets me a big brown or two especially in the regulated sections where they've seen a lot of different flies. :cool:

I'm a spincaster.

Back