Interesting Brook Trout Info from a Scientist

Wow, a lot of stuff. Over in NJ genetic research about 20 years ago indicated many likely native populations in small trickles; hatchery descendents in others (mostly Nassua NH strain). Led to stopping stocking of brook trout. Seems brook trout in one major river, the Musconetcong, have started to recover. I have a couple of spots where I can almost guarantee to catch a brookie or two now.

Also indicated climate change can be a scapegoat to put things we can control in the background. Never thought of it that way, but interesting. Developers could blame climate change for habitat degradation they cause.

Storm water drainage is interesting too and have an NJ case. In one NJ blue line drainage they built a big apartment complex. The stream below the parking lot outflow ceased to have brookies. Water in normal flows was OK, but warm, contaminated flow from summer rains harmed the stream.

So brook trout aren't native to Pennsylvania?
It sounds like actual native brook trout were wiped out in PA. and replaced a stocked strain. I am guessing that the massive deforestation back in the 1800's / early 1900's and then reintroduction by stocking years later did this.

It sounds like actual native brook trout were wiped out in PA. and replaced a stocked strain. I am guessing that the massive deforestation back in the 1800's / early 1900's and then reintroduction by stocking years later did this.
Okay. So he isn't saying that brook trout weren't here before the 1800's, he is saying those are all gone and the only trout left are descendents of the first hatchery fish from Bellefonte.

He mumbled something about a Long Island strain of Brook trout but I didn't really catch what he was saying there either.

Back