If I could only FF for one species of fish, I would fish for _____

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
Quite clearly, more of you guys need to take the hit and go fly fishing
on the flats for tarpon. I love my stripers and smallies and trouts, but nothing even comes close to a tarpon eat. And then there is what follows.

One of the "best " days fly fishing I can remember was fishing for "baby" tarpon around Captiva Island. But, if I chose tarpon as the one fish to target, I'd have to move down there or only fish once a year or so. I picked smallies because I can fish for them any time around here.

Wild brown trout.

Smallmouth bass

on fly equipment--brown trout--
on other types--smallies in freshwater but in salt water many fish outfight anything in freshwater-jacks,reds etc.. in inland water but what is really sheer fun are ladyfish who ain't..caught some small tarpon -the ladyfish are tougher inch for inch...lol

For me it would be brook trout with the occasional salter thrown in. For larger fish I’d head north or try for some sea run fish.

Put me in for smallies. I am surprised smallies didn't get more love for the volunteer permit option. Also, I love fly fishing on the surf the most. However, that is not a practical option so I am going with smallies.

If that were the case, I probably wouldn't fly fish.

redietz wrote:
afishinado wrote:

All trout species together 16 vs 8 votes for SMB. Not surprising but smallies getting plenty of love....

They are, but might be getting even more love if you hadn't limited this to FF. As somebody above wrote, if limited to FF for only one species, they'd break out the spinning gear more often. I sort of agree and enjoy spin fishing for SMB almost as much as fly fishing for them, but I'd don't enjoy spin fishing for trout at all.

Just a thought.

That's pretty much what I was thinking.

I'll say brook trout, or trout in general, but no way would I want to give up FFing for other species. But if I had to, I could, and would use my spinning gear more often.

Maybe it was in the wording of the question.;-)

GonnaFlyNow wrote:
Put me in for smallies. I am surprised smallies didn't get more love for the volunteer permit option. Also, I love fly fishing on the surf the most. However, that is not a practical option so I am going with smallies.

The "Bass" voluntary fund is more general. If your intention is to benefit Susky river smallies, you may want to consider a donation to the SOS (Save Our Susquehanna) fund, which benefits study and improving the habitat and water quality of the Susky for benefit smallmouth bass.

For Browns fans, I prefer trolling.

I have to say Smallmouth. They are like less discerning trout. Eager to oblige me by eating my popper and they fight harder too.

Wild trout. I started fishing for smallmouths recently and they would be right up there with trout. Either one is a lot of fun.

Permit.

If I were rich,my choice would be the top fish. Atlantic salmon.
If I was well off,but not quite as rich,brown trout.
As it stands,I would have to choose smallies.

Why do we as fly anglers immediately go to SMB and not mention LMB? I personally tend to think they are the more fun of the two and I like the fact that they like flowing waters more, but SOMEONE has gotta love LMB on the fly.....we see very little LMB activity at all on this site. Those of you that mention Bluegills and farm ponds (which I agree are a ton of fun) always have those LMB mixed in there with them.

Back