I Am Screwed With My Reel Seat Repair

fadeaway263

fadeaway263

My reel seat became unattached from the butt end of my rod. I gorilla glued it back on but did not realize the bottom ring only had one side to accomodate the reel heel. So I cannot properly seat my reel. What can i do?

Call Gorilla Glue, they might be able to tell you how to dissolve the glue

So, the ring is on backwards and the divot that holds the reel foot is on opposite the intended direction?

Hot steam will help break the regular epoxy used in rods, dunno 'bout Gorilla Glue.

from their faq:
"Gorilla Super Glue works well up to temperatures as high as 200-220ºF. However, too much exposure to extreme heat will cause the strength of the bond to be compromised. Likewise, too much exposure to water, especially warm water, can compromise the strength of the bond."

You probably only need to remove the but cap and not the entire seat or even the threaded hardware.

Just get the butt cap off. Unscrew the locking ring which on most seats will unscrew completely off the thread with no butt cap attached, then remove and flip the hood ring. Re-assemble.

Again, and if I understand your problem correctly, just remove the butt cap.

Kev

from one Kev to another Kev....pennkev is a genius. did not know the butt cap was removable. Problem solved. Dkile you did great stuff by giving us this site. Maybe my problem with the reel seat is why I got skunked on the LJ yesterday. We will come up with any excuse won't we!

I was liking PennKevs reply before I saw your affirmation. Good call. I had visions of you soaking your rod handle in a bucket of warm water for the rest of the weekend. Don't fight a gorilla if you don't have to, my grandpap use to tell me.

gfen wrote:

So, the ring is on backwards and the divot that holds the reel foot is on opposite the intended direction?

Ahhh. Thanks. I couldn't see in my mind what he was saying.

Heat works better than hot water for polyurthane glues like Gorilla. Having said that, 1-2 minutes in boiling water would easily get it off. Boil water. Turn off boil (as to avoid burns . . . this is a litigious lawyer we are talking about here :-D ). Submerge end of seat into hot water for 1 - 2 minutes. Use pliers to pull the cap off. Flip ring around then reapply the cap as it should set up again. If the hot water scares ya, use a hair dryer to get it real hot.

Edit: Oh hell, I thought you meant you glued the seat cap on for some reason. Ya. You got it figured out!

Pennkev I owe you a case....PM me and tell me what you like and your local distributor so arrangements can be made. Or if you are an enophile we can do something else.

Oh man, if he gets a case for this wadda I get if i get you catching fish in the LJ?

There are no fish in the LJ. Those fish I saw Sat. leaping out of the water was an optical elusion caused by a thermal downward inversion.

I was promised my first trip to the Little J that I would see the "water boiling" and would "immediately buy land in the area."

None of that happened, but I've been back a few times since then.

Fade,

Glad I could do my part.

WizOfOz.jpg

Wow, fast forward 20 years with that italian cooking....uncanny.

You ARE the wizard!

Um, ah, I'll take the brain.

Haha, no type of payment is needed! But, if we ever meet, I'm not going to refuse a drink...

Kev

Back