HuntfishPA.com

God willing, that will be my next one.
If you don’t trust keeping it on your phone (my ignorance of storage on a phone may be showing here because I never had a cell phone) or if you prefer a hard copy, I recommend getting one from a store (if you can still do so) where they’ll print out those yellow or green soft plastic versions or else plastic coat a paper version that you print out. It’s one thing to keep a license in good shape for a year or a few years, but quite another to do so for hopefully decades.

If you don’t trust keeping it on your phone (my ignorance of storage on a phone may be showing here because I never had a cell phone) or if you prefer a hard copy, I recommend getting one from a store (if you can still do so) where they’ll print out those yellow or green soft plastic versions or else plastic coat a paper version that you print out. It’s one thing to keep a license in good shape for a year or a few years, but quite another to do so for hopefully decades.
Dear Mike,

Just an FYI, but when I bought my wife a lifetime license, she received a hard plastic credit card version in the mail in a few weeks.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You've never had a phone? Thats awesome. I am seriously thinking about just getting rid of mine

The original idea in its rawest form had nothing to do with children’s permits. The permits, however, are beneficial in that they count as license sales and generate fed funding which is expressly used for PFBC programs directed toward kids if I recall the details correctly.
That is far less nefarious than using it to check age for those with no driver's license. It is a bit young to be on a third party website that seems like it would be easy to hack if one is familiar with the dial up era Matrix forms of hacking!

No issues for me, other than I ordered my license weeks ago and haven't gotten a paper copy in the mail yet.. I just keep the screen shot on my phone and printed it.

Maybe I am missing something but for as long as buying licenses online has been an option, I've chosen that route and I can download a PDF of the actual license, print it and pop it in a pocket.

Other than the yellow or green or whatever color the paper is on the "official" copy, why do you need a paper copy mailed to you?

In regards to buying a license at a store, I stopped doing that eons ago when I walked into a local Walmart and saw the old "pad" with copies of everyone's name address, age and SS #'s sitting on the counter... :oops:

I realize (or I hope I realize) the pads are long gone but safeguarding your Social Security Number by never giving it out unless absolutely necessary is a good practice.

The PFBC harvesting SS #'s and their reasons for doing it is ridiculous IMHO but at least they came up with the CID numbers that you can use to buy a license on line and hopefully at an agent. Everyone, (except Mike ;) ) should put their CID # in their phone.

Also, once you have an account on HuntFishPA there is a Sportsman's Equipment ID # that is created that can be used on gear like a serial number to identify ownership.

In regards to "plastic coating" or laminating one of the paper copies: it's not the PFBC's fault but be advised (from someone that knows from experience), if you laminate your license and leave a little over-hang of plastic like you are supposed to, your laminated license won't fit in one those jiffy little pin-on fishing license holders...

I realize displaying your license is no longer required but the holders are a convenient place to stash a paper copy in the event you are Mike... ;)

Reactions: CRB
Maybe I am missing something but for as long as buying licenses online has been an option, I've chosen that route and I can download a PDF of the actual license, print it and pop it in a pocket.

Other than the yellow or green or whatever color the paper is on the "official" copy, why do you need a paper copy mailed to you?
Didn't say I needed it, and I said I screen shot it and printed it. They mail the hunting uses licenses (different uses with ear tags etc) - I just thought it would come in the mail. Thanks for your reply though.

I don't know for sure but I don't THINK getting a hard copy of a fishing license mailed to you is part of the online deal unless you pay extra and I don't even know if that is an option...

I say that because in all the years I've bought my license online, I never got squat in the mail.

Hey, you can always go to a license issuing agent if it is not too inconvenient.

And there hast been " old "pad" with copies of everyone's name address, age and SS #'s sitting on the counter.." in decades. They do it just like you do it at home. On a computer. Except they just swipe your DL. No filling out anything. Just prints on better paper.

Dear Mike,

Just an FYI, but when I bought my wife a lifetime license, she received a hard plastic credit card version in the mail in a few weeks.

Regards,

I believe that’s an additional couple of bucks for that little card. Worth it for something that isn’t going to be replaced each year.

I don't think that fancy hard plastic license is an option any longer but I have been wrong before...

.... or if you prefer a hard copy, I recommend getting one from a store (if you can still do so) where they’ll print out those yellow or green soft plastic versions ...
You can still do this at Dicks Sporting Goods. Or, at least you could last year.

5 years or so ago I paid a little extra to get the hard plastic senior lifetime license through Pike County Outfitters in Milford PA a license agent. I remember it came in the mail sometime later.

Last edited:
Oh, and for the OP, the company that runs it is not even from PA. I forget where they are from, but it's not PA, and for what the state got, they certainly could have thrown a PA company a bone....
I think Kansas City. Public company traded on Nasdaq. Market cap $2.3 billion!

Nic Inc (EGOV)​

I don't think that fancy hard plastic license is an option any longer but I have been wrong before...
Dear Bam,

I'll just get mine laminated professionally then. When I was 16, I went to the Ack-A-Me and put 2 quarters in the machine and got two pieces of laminating plastic for my brand-new paper SS card. Forty-eight years later it still looks good as new, despite having been soaked to Hell at least 50 times!

Regards,

• Haha
Reactions: CRB
You may have been wrong once before, but you aren't now. The hard cards are no longer an option. No clue as to why they were discontinued.

Dear Bam,

I'll just get mine laminated professionally then. When I was 16, I went to the Ack-A-Me and put 2 quarters in the machine and got two pieces of laminating plastic for my brand-new paper SS card. Forty-eight years later it still looks good as new, despite having been soaked to Hell at least 50 times!

Regards,

My SS card was laminated the same way with the stuff from the Ack-A-Me except they were less than $ .50 in Delco. ;)

I actually have a hot laminating machine and have for a long time that I use for all sorts of stuff so it's easy for me since there ain't an Ack-A-Me within 30 miles of me...

0000706309 1 600x931

I put mine in the .50 cent plastic pin on holder that I affix to my vest/bag/shirt/hat. My 10 year license bought online and printed from my home printer has been there for going on 8 years with no issues.

There are several reasons you need to show identification including your social security #. The first reason is so deadbeat dads do not get the privilege of hunting or fishing in our state. This also is a good tool to locate criminal for appreciation. However I believe the system needs to be reconsidered and cleaned up.
If you want to be a licensed fishing guide in Pa you need to apply for it. After jumping through some hoops you need to send the information including a copy of your fishing license. Really! It is there license!!!!
I have had discussions with the folks in charge and there explanation is our computer does not talk to there computer. Really come on, it is not 1919. I can not imagine any business I have dealt with using that excuse.

There are several reasons you need to show identification including your social security #. The first reason is so deadbeat dads do not get the privilege of hunting or fishing in our state. This also is a good tool to locate criminal for appreciation. However I believe the system needs to be reconsidered and cleaned up.

I'm not trying to get political but we have 1000's of completely undocumented people coming into our country every single day, many of whom are sent to PA...

...and the PFBC needs MY Social Security number in case I am a dead beat dad??

First off, I'm not even a dad so why should I give them my SS number????

People are hunting & fishing in PA every single minute of every single day WITHOUT a license (see the Ridley Creek thread) but a person who ISN'T paying their child support is buying a license making it easy to get caught....

Who thinks of this stuff...?????

No, the reason is a Social Security number has become nothing but a catch-all ID number that's easy to get from most folks and it sucks that it is so used and unprotected by the entities in possession.

EOR

Back