HuntfishPA.com

What a terrible website, its like they are trying to discourage you from purchasing a license
I'm not disagreeing, but what leads you to that conclusion? My experiences on there have been smooth, at least overall..

Dear bringthepain,

Maybe the process is easier for existing customers? Your post reminded me I needed new launch permits for our kayaks. I entered my information and 5 minutes later I printed the receipt which will work while I wait for the actual stickers to arrive in the mail.

I've been buying fishing licenses and registering boats online since it became possible. It's been convenient for me.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yeah, it's kinda awful

So PA needs separate commissions (Fish and Game) but they are able to consolidate both groups into one website. Gasp.

" Where have you gone Ralph Abele ... our Nation turns its lonely eyes to you ... woo woo woo "

The only problem I ever had was with finding the Mentored Youth permit, which seemed to be hidden. And as someone raised a few years ago, you have to have the child's SS# and all that just to catch some jacked up bows with no fins a week before Opening Day.

Otherwise, I embraced the buy and print 12 copies at home (one for each vehicle, the boat, and extra after a good rainstorm) and still buy my licenses and stamps online. Any reason not to step foot in Dicks or BPS or Wallyworld is welcome. The 1990s AOL or Geocities vibe of the website is retro AF....

Oh, and for the OP, the company that runs it is not even from PA. I forget where they are from, but it's not PA, and for what the state got, they certainly could have thrown a PA company a bone....

Its fine. I have noticed something in my personal and professional life. Most government websites are really subpar. I am not sure why. They don't spend that much less on them. I wonder if it is because the time lag between placing a bid and actual launch is so long that technology is behind. I also think, but don't know, they bid a site where personnel within the organization can maintain it versus contracting the designer to do so. My view into how the sausage (or website) is made at a university leads me to believe that too many cooks spoil the pie is a contributor. It is a head scratcher.

FWIW - I had some issues finding stuff because of the way the site filters choices after you login based on past purchases. The simple solution is to deselect any filters and scroll through everything...

If you still have issues, make a call. The Help Desk folks are easy to get hold of and are very helpful...

BTW - That's who told me about filtering... ;)

I tried 4 different times to buy a license, both as a guest and by looking up my account through various means, none were successful. I finally called said help desk and heard an auto message saying it would be much easier to recover my info if i had the CID # from my previous license. You would think maybe they would put that on the site

All the options you can select to purchase say 'gift' in front of them leading you to believe that there are non gift options to select. If there are i never found them, so thats confusing.

Someone mentioned launch permits which i also need for my boat. I think I have to go to a different site to buy those...

...All the options you can select to purchase say 'gift' in front of them leading you to believe that there are non gift options to select. If there are i never found them, so thats confusing...

BEWARE of the "Gift Option" and make sure to deselect it if you are purchasing for yourself. I made that mistake when I ordered my license buttons and I never received them because I ordered them as gifts which generates a voucher that you can give to someone to redeem.

The help desk folks straightened me out on that error and also about clearing ALL filters before shopping so all choices appear.

I still have 3 years left on my 10 year license. I hope they work the bugs out by then.

" Where have you gone Ralph Abele ... our Nation turns its lonely eyes to you ... woo woo woo "
When it comes to the PFBC, no truer words have ever been spoken in my view.

The only problem I ever had was with finding the Mentored Youth permit, which seemed to be hidden. And as someone raised a few years ago, you have to have the child's SS# and all that just to catch some jacked up bows with no fins a week before Opening Day
The original idea in its rawest form had nothing to do with children’s permits. The permits, however, are beneficial in that they count as license sales and generate fed funding which is expressly used for PFBC programs directed toward kids if I recall the details correctly.

No issues for me, other than I ordered my license weeks ago and haven't gotten a paper copy in the mail yet.. I just keep the screen shot on my phone and printed it.

I tried 4 different times to buy a license, both as a guest and by looking up my account through various means, none were successful. I finally called said help desk and heard an auto message saying it would be much easier to recover my info if i had the CID # from my previous license. You would think maybe they would put that on the site

All the options you can select to purchase say 'gift' in front of them leading you to believe that there are non gift options to select. If there are i never found them, so thats confusing.

Someone mentioned launch permits which i also need for my boat. I think I have to go to a different site to buy those...
I am really not sure why you are having trouble. I always use my SSN, and the process is rather easy.

Government websites are always terrible, though. In fact, nearly anything the government is involved in will be sure to waste more money to only achieve a subpar outcome.

Back