Humpinator reciepy

I'm the guy in the youtube video and the one who posted it. You all seem a little too excited to see a fly someone tied that he says is the humpinator. Unfortunately it is not. It looks like it would catch fish, but it is not a humpinator. Sorry folks!

Yes it is.

outfisher wrote:
I'm the guy in the youtube video and the one who posted it. You all seem a little too excited to see a fly someone tied that he says is the humpinator. Unfortunately it is not. It looks like it would catch fish, but it is not a humpinator. Sorry folks!

I should hope that the posted picture was a hoax because it certainly does not look magical at all. I guess the search for the weak link must resume in earnest.

It's the real deal. Believe me. I caught fifteen fish on one the other night.

If you go to flyanglersonline and search for an article about the humpinator, you will find an essay by a guy named Dave Pearson. In his essay, he clearly states that the fly he came up with is purely a guess of what he thinks the humpinator might be. The picture of the fly looks to me to just be basically a stimulator. I have caught a lot of fish on stimulators and fished them quite a bit. It was a "go to" fly for me. That is, until I fished the humpinator. I haven't thrown a stimulator since. Keep searching for a weak link. I know of one possibility, but doubt it is a real weak link. :cool:

Mike, it seems to me that a lot of people have a huge sense of entitlement. When my four year old nephew sees a toy he wants in a store and he is told that he can't have it, he throws a screaming fit. I see a lot of comments on this site that mimic this behavior. Unbelievable! I posted those videos on youtube for fun and for friends to see Mike and me on the stream. If I had known it would cause such turmoil in so many lives, I would have thought twice about posting them. Then again, this is all quite amusing.

"In his essay, he clearly states that the fly he came up with is purely a guess of what he thinks the humpinator might be. The picture of the fly looks to me to just be basically a stimulator."

Shenanigans! I call shenanigans!

In his article at http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/hemlock/ Pearson refers to the fly as "a humpinator, Dave Pearson style"

Sorry Ian, it's not a Humpinator!

Good Grief!

The whole point of the FAOL article was to promote flytying experimentation.

I have never seen mike's humpinator.

I imagined a cross between a humpy and a stimulator and came up with what you see posted in the story.

It works just fine.

so do the variations....though some work a bit better than others.

and there are more variations to come, I think.:)

Once again, I have never seen mike's humpinator

what i posted is not a copy of his fly....it is a fly inspired by the name of his secret fly....and it, too, catches fish...though perhaps not as well as his fly.I don't know. I've never seen his fly.

and my fly is not a secret.....heck, its probably not even "my fly".
I'm sure someone else has done the same thing.
And I posted it on the web for all to see, use, or to use as a launch point for their own creative endeavors, whatever.

I wish to promote creativity and invention...not divisiveness and disention.

so , lighten up. :)

What say that now i've posted a fly that could be called a humpinator, perhaps a few other creative minds could post THEIR versions of this fly....inspired by this name?

Sound like fun?

All the best,
Dewey AKA Dave Pearson.

I have avoided this thread like a pile of crap after my last post, but I'm glad to see it finally turning around.

It's no surprise that Dave wrote about this fly and has tried mimicking it. He always was talking about "new" patterns when I used to see him every other week or so. I remember talking to him about it this fly, but can't say for sure if I every showed him...and if I have, it has left his memory.

Bothered? Not at all. Like my buddy mentioned, the videos were posted for our friends to see the great fishing we were having with this fly....not for fame or fortune.

There are many variations that you can tie this fly in, but there is only one humpinator. Pink, Purple, Red, Blue, Green, Chartruese, Olive, Black, Yellow, Orange....etc...they all catch fish. My favorite is pink, but yellow has always been the top producer.

Back to work.

Michael Foreman

Ian,

Almost forgot...the fly pictured is not my version of the Humpinator, but looks like it would catch some fish. Keep being creative....you'll eventually get it.

Michael Foreman

I've lost track of who said they tyed this humpinator. One little piece of advise, DON"T EVER say your fly is an original pattern because as soon as someone says that, even if its not you, everbody will come out of the woodwork to put the pattern down. You'll have everybody saying its JUST like this pattern or just like that pattern or my great great grandfather tyed one just like it 150 years ago. You can't win period. Trust me I went through it when a magazine claimed a pattern I had tyed to be the "most original" when I never did. If you got a good pattern keep it to yourself or post it and let others claim how great it is or isn't. With the name making it a cross between a stimulator and a humpy I can tell you right now you'll get a lot of "Its just like" even if its not.

Back