Humpinator reciepy

I bet I could catch more fish on a humpy/stimulator tandem.

I guarantee it.

It's amazing how much flack someone gets for not sharing one of their secret patterns.

This fly is real, and it catches fish, alot of fish.

I have too many stories about fish on this fly that it's mind boggling. And this is only the second year we've used it.

I did not name it the humpulator because I thought the name would offend some people. But it would be more correct

Lately, I've been using beetles and ants. If a fish rises on the streams I have been fishing, 90% of the time it will take the beetle. If not, I throw on the ant and he usually takes.

These flies are no secret, want to see them, go onto photobucket and do a search for fisherboy1986. The beetle is the simplest fly to tie, and gives the most realistic sillouhette of any bettle out there. I'm more than willing to share all of my flies, but two.

One is the humpinator, and another is a steelhead egg pattern that catches fish on a consistant basis on every stream I fish...from Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and the Finger Lakes. I know for a fact that I am not the only one out there with a "secret" pattern.

Mike

BTW - There is ONE guy I gave a few of these flies to that may give the pattern away. The others are my closest friends that can't tie...lol. I'm not stupid. But good luck.

Out of raw curiosity...

What do you gain by keeping these 'secrets'? I've never understood the mentality, and I'd like some insight if possible.

Thanks

Fisherboy86 wrote:
I did not name it the humpulator because I thought the name would offend some people.
That never occurred to me when Jay first brought up the the likely genesis of the name, but now that you mentioned it, that's pretty funny. Even after you mentioned it, it took me a little while to get it, though.

And Jay, to answer your question, the only thing I can think of is that they're concerned that so many hoards of fly fishers will start using the fly that the fish will start to recognize it and it won't be as successful anymore. You know, like the Adams, Elk Hair Caddis, and Pheasant Tail Nymph. :-D

"I bet I could catch more fish on a humpy/stimulator tandem.

I guarantee it."

You should, you have doubled your chance for success.

Fisherboy86 wrote:
It's amazing how much flack someone gets for not sharing one of their secret patterns.

This fly is real, and it catches fish, alot of fish.

I have too many stories about fish on this fly that it's mind boggling. And this is only the second year we've used it.

I did not name it the humpulator because I thought the name would offend some people. But it would be more correct

Lately, I've been using beetles and ants. If a fish rises on the streams I have been fishing, 90% of the time it will take the beetle. If not, I throw on the ant and he usually takes.

These flies are no secret, want to see them, go onto photobucket and do a search for fisherboy1986. The beetle is the simplest fly to tie, and gives the most realistic sillouhette of any bettle out there. I'm more than willing to share all of my flies, but two.

One is the humpinator, and another is a steelhead egg pattern that catches fish on a consistant basis on every stream I fish...from Lake Ontario, Lake Erie, and the Finger Lakes. I know for a fact that I am not the only one out there with a "secret" pattern.

Mike

BTW - There is ONE guy I gave a few of these flies to that may give the pattern away. The others are my closest friends that can't tie...lol. I'm not stupid. But good luck.

Mike,

Don't take this the wrong way....but one of my standards for judging character is in finding balance between humble and arrogance. I don't care about the pattern...but the only thing you left out of your boast was "trust me" and I think you even inferred it a couple times. BTW, "trust me" is the exclamation in a story that makes me look down and my eyes roll around in my head hoping I have an attack of diarhea so I can gracefully step away from the conversation.

Short of that, I may have to look at that site to see what nugget could possibly be shared beyond the ant and beetle I know.

I'd share my ant & beetle patterns but they are too secret, trust me. :-o

Maurice

I like your style Maurice, we should fish together sometime.

Fisherboy86 wrote:

Actually, I have never given anyone grief for not sharing thier secret patterns. I give people grief for dancing around singing "I gotta secret... I gotta seeeecret!" If you have a secret, great. Keep it.

This whole thing has the feel of a put up job. A guy who's made three posts to the site asks about a fly that is mentioned in a YouTube video. Another guy with two posts responds. Good luck spreading your fame at the next website.

PS: I'm about 10% serious, and 90% sarcastic. I really don't believe in or care about "secret flies".

You mention my character. How can someone questioning character be so fast as to jump on someone else that they do not know? You guys are grown adults, act like it.

The only reason I know about this post was because of my friends. I don't use many message forums anymore because of the attitude you guys have shown, and the "clickiness" of the people who use them. BUT, when I found out Dave Rothrock, a good friend of mine and well known speaker and tyer, told one of my best friends about seeing the humpinator mentioned on this site, I checked it out of curiosity...more because I wanted to see what Kern had said more than anything. lol.

Also, I used to use the paflyfish site back when it took 5 minutes to load one page. That was 6 years ago. Unfortunately, I only have enough time now to work and fish 7 days a week.

I can't believe I use my work breaks to do this!

My one friend will be using the humpinator on the Cape at the end of August. I'll be sure to post any pictures of blues or stripers he catches on it. NoooOOOT!!! (sorry, had to use a Borat quote)

Lighten up guys. With such tight wound people, no wonder you don't see many kids on the stream.

Sincerely,
Michael Foreman

Fisherboy86 wrote:

....I don't use many message forums anymore because of the attitude you guys have shown, and the "clickiness" of the people who use them. ...
Lighten up guys. With such tight wound people, no wonder you don't see many kids on the stream.

Sincerely,
Michael Foreman

Let's see, you and your pals have a secret fly recipe that no one can talk about publicly, yet "we" are the ones who are "clicky" need to "lighten up" and can be blamed for a perceived reluctance of youngsters to go fishing. Brilliant!

Fisherboy86 wrote:
...BUT, when I found out Dave Rothrock, a good friend of mine and well known speaker and tyer, told one of my best friends about seeing the humpinator mentioned on this site, I checked it out of curiosity...more because I wanted to see what Kern had said more than anything. lol. ...
Sincerely,
Michael Foreman

Oh boy...and a name dropper too.....now where did I put that Imodium..... :-D

It's OK, we still have the secret "wild mountain cougar" when the fish start to recognize all the other patterns. I'll share the recipe for those that haven't seen me tie for a small plate of lasagna.........After the sun explodes! :cool: Seriously, though, some people take themselves too seriously......that and the sun not exploding. :pint:

Boyer

The wild mountain cougar! I totally forgot about that.

Boyer, be a pal and tie me one for sunday!

Until Matt gives the blessing, I'll never tell you clowns the recipe!

Yeah, I've been a little slow about the tying lately. I was hoping to hit you up for a few flies on sunday. :p Seriously, though, I might get some bench time in tomorrow, as I work night shift. I've been tying to order since carp season started. For some reason I don't lose as many flies when I'm chuckin' around maxima 10lb for a tippet. I should probably blast a few cougars out, though, if not you can have the beat up one in my box. :p They only seem to last through a couple fish, as the voracity of the attack often leaves them in tattered ruins, especially the ones that get hit before the fly hits the water. Believe me, it has 4 wheel drive and picture in a picture. It can heal the blind and make ugly chicks cute. I've heard the pope uses only the cougar when he fishes. It is the only thing known to man that can beat Chuck Norris. The best part is, very few know of it and fewer have seen it tied, and they'll never tell. Now of course, if someone had a recipe that they were willing to trade..........And to the world not exploding :pint:

Boyer

I've got too many flies. Take your fill on Sunday. I'm at the bench tomorrow. Anything in particular that you need?

I've got too many flies. Take your fill on Sunday. I'm at the bench tomorrow. Anything in particular that you need?

Anything you recommend that is smaller than a size 16 will do. :-D Seriously, though I might be good. I won't know 'til we see what is hatching, although you know me and streamers, I might just spend the afternoon swingin' to the ones that are too fat and lazy to rise. :cool: ...And to the world not exploding :pint:

Boyer

This got the makings of a good old bar story:

One night, "a good friend of mine named Dave R" introduced me to a lady we called " Wild Mountain Couger". I made my move and she told me "Humpulator" and we drank the night away toasting "Trout,Mayflies and to the Sun for not blowin up today!!" :pint: :pint: :pint:

JH

MattBoyer wrote:
It's OK, we still have the secret "wild mountain cougar" when the fish start to recognize all the other patterns. I'll share the recipe for those that haven't seen me tie for a small plate of lasagna.........After the sun explodes! :cool: Seriously, though, some people take themselves too seriously......that and the sun not exploding. :pint:

Boyer

Didn't I see a video on Youtube about that pattern? Or am I thinking of something else?

Wow, just when I was over my guilt from using a green weenie, now I have to worry about:

Being part of a "click" or is that Clique?
Not knowing about the cougar fly....
Not knowing the true meaning of the humpnulator....
Having my own secret recipies, do I share them, do I tempt others about them....
Do they exist, do they not exist?
Do I truly have enough friends to form my own click/clique?
Do I wear the correct Pad style hat when fishing, and if so, does that make me a wanna be...
oh my, I dropped a name, now I need to tell them I know other people to make me believable.
Now I have to drink something so the sun won't explode.
I can't take the pressure!

Back