How stupid is the PFBC?

bigjohn58

bigjohn58

The PFBC had extra fish left over at the Oswayo hatchery. They picked the hottest day of the year to stock these fish in a stream that is already too warm to support them! How much sense does this make? :evil:

Attachments

• 35518496_10155590373867966_6288880372537098240_n.jpg
    35518496_10155590373867966_6288880372537098240_n.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 23
I agree. The fish aren't being utilized as the PFBC had intended. Dead in the Creek or freezer burned in a truck chasers fridge.....what's the difference?

Not sure what happened but they always check the temps first when they stock around my way .

Like I said in a previous thread......Any agency of the Pa. Government is run like a sh*t show....... Love seeing my tax / permit / fees wasted.....

I would love to get a comment from the WCO or hatchery manager.
No disrespect Big John, it’s Facebook or whatever and so I take things with a grain of salt until the whole picture becomes clearer.

DaveS wrote:
No disrespect Big John, it’s Facebook or whatever and so I take things with a grain of salt until the whole picture becomes clearer.

^ I agree

Checked out the stocking page from the PFBC site and sure enough a stocking for Kettle Creek on 6/18 was added to the schedule:

Kettle Creek 5

BDG OLE BULL STATE PARK: Lat: 41.5391, Long: -77.7164 1.7 Mi UPSTRM SR0144 - UPPER LIMIT of C&R AREA: Lat: 41.5154, Long: -77.751

06/18/18 ADDED TO SCHEDULE
X Kettle Creek Lk 10:30 AM
Bellefonte

http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

And they want you to pay more for a license, lol

DaveS wrote:

My brother who works for a chemical company who delivers to the hatcheries was made aware that Oswayo had extra fish last week. Kettle Creek in the Clinton County portion and the dam were going to get the fish this week. I said right off the bat that didn't make any sense since they probably would have a better chance of survival in Potter. Take it for what you want guys but this is 100% true!

They're always dumb about xtra fish. Recall a few years back when they gave Roaring Brook near Scranton an extra stocking in early July or something. Guys where there and 81 degree water temps were taken. They stocked anyhow. Without any work at all I could think of 50 places to put the fish that would be a wiser choice but it's almost like they pick placed specifically so they die. They do this over and over with surplus.

I would have like to seem the videos.

Ya, it's stupid but I would like to know:

What NON wild trout stream in a hot June would be appropriate? Most the streams for stocked fish are way too warm. If they put them in say, cross forks or YW creek, everyone here would hate that too.

How can they win?

I'd imagine they need to clear out the fish to clean the hatcheries.
IMO they would be better off just opening up the hatchery to fishing for a 10 dollar fee and all you can keep.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I would have like to seem the videos.

Ya, it's stupid but I would like to know:

What NON wild trout stream in a hot June would be appropriate? Most the streams for stocked fish are way too warm. If they put them in say, cross forks or YW creek, everyone here would hate that too.

How can they win?

I'd imagine they need to clear out the fish to clean the hatcheries.

They could simply stock all the trout before June 1.

In the past I don't think they stocked trout this late.

I think Sal's on to something. leave 'em where they are. let people pay to catch 'em. or have a kids rodeo. people are happy, fish are not wasted, pfbc makes a few bucks.

Gary has excellent Facebook communication skills. You can't put them in a native stream thats cooler because the true trout fishermen would be angered. Can't keep them where they were at because that's also getting warm and they are probably running dangerously low on pellets. People hate the PFBC for stocking fish, not stocking fish, raising to little fish and now to many fish. Raccoons need to eat to. I have no problem with what they do with extra fish. I can only assume the hatchery had a very low mortality rate causing the extra fish.

This is a classic example of someone looking for a reason to be angry on Facebook.

How do they end up with extra fish? Can't they keep track of the number of fish they have in each hatchery?

What lakes are cold in the middle of june? I would think the lakes would be warmer than the creeks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halfway_Lake_(Pennsylvania)

Halfway Lake is the main focus of R. B. Winter State Park. The lake is filled by spring-fed mountain streams. It was formed by a man-made sandstone dam. The water temperature is usually approximately 50 degrees F (10 degrees C) due to much of the lake being filled with water from directly underground. There is an artesian spring, Little Bubbler, that comes up through the sand on the west end of the beach at the park.[1]

Not a bad thought but....
Is there a cold lake reasonably close enough to the Oswayo Hatchery for them to utilize?

Do they stock Oswayo Creek? Isn't that creek pretty cold?

According to PAFBC fish came from Bellfonte not Oswayo

Today I saw a hatchery truck returning to the Tylersville hatchery. I have no idea where they stocked.

But I think in the past, the last stockings were done in the first week of June.

I may be wrong about the history, but I don't think they stocked as late as June 18th in the past.

The tailrace below the Yough Dam might be a good place to stock "leftover" trout, whatever that term means.

Back