How many tie...

Question don't some of those nymphs differ from stream to stream as far as size or even color variations as do some of the dun imitations ie; some of the sulphurs on spring creek have more orange than yellow than those on the little j or even penns creek or am I mistaken?

You are not mistaken, but I suspect some of us believe the fish are not so observant when picking nymphs to chow on.

WildTigerTrout wrote:
I really like my Green Weenie nymph! LOL

Ah yes! The imitation of the Geometridae and the Rhyacophila.

JackM wrote:
You are not mistaken, but I suspect some of us believe the fish are not so observant when picking nymphs to chow on.

That surprises me. It seems the fish would get a much better look at a nymph than a dry. Of course they grab all sorts of debris but reject it pretty quickly. I wonder if that is the behavior that the impressionistic patterns and tight line indicator methods take advantage of. Not that it really matters, but it strikes me as odd that an animal capable of rejecting a dry fly it can barely see because it is off by one hook size wouldn't be as critical with a nymph at which it can get a clear 360 degree look.
Mike.

The variance in nymphs is not nearly as great as in the duns. None of us know what the fish actually sees but through the years I think we come to individual conclusions about what is important , mine are based on my own observations and have many factors including water speed and broken light and color variation at depth.Fishing dries to clear flat pools of pressured fish ( Upper D) has little to do with nymphing fast runs at 3' to 4' and the need for an impulsive reaction for survival found on lesser waters. Even Old Dave's imitations are a generalization of form over reality, light and dark , small and large, mayflies (epeorus, epehemerella, etc.) are just not that different , which is not to say that you don't try to match certain characteristics but you pick the ones that you think matter. I don't use other people's patterns too much anymore, it's like my music, I'd rather play my own , and I definately know what bugs are present in the streams and rivers I frequent. That's enough out of me.

Back