How many tie...

A lot of people have no problem going to great lengths to immitate size, shape, and color of mayfly emergers/duns/spinners with their immitations.

Why does this mindset suddenly change when they tie their nymph immitations?

I think I can create a better mouse trap (trout nymph)

Yes, for the nymphs that look drastically different than a PT or HE can replicate like the ISO nymph, but otherwise the generics are just as good.

You know as well as anyone that mayflies in the nymphal stage are not terribly different in color and silhouette, they do come in different sizes and hatching behavior, excluding the drakes. Presentation trumps every other factor, especially in moving water. Dave's stirring the pot, must be alot of snow up there in NC PA.

I love an Isonychia pattern tied by some guy from central PA. Even the trout like it once in a while..

I do for for a few mayflies, but for the most part I just stick to the classics.

blueheron wrote:
You know as well as anyone that mayflies in the nymphal stage are not terribly different in color and silhouette, they do come in different sizes and hatching behavior, excluding the drakes. Presentation trumps every other factor, especially in moving water. Dave's stirring the pot, must be alot of snow up there in NC PA.
Um...
I'd suggest you turn over a few rocks the next time you're out...

Your PMD nymph, while a little complicated, would work well for most
mayfly nymphs if you matched the size and presented it properly.
Just sayin.

It's actually a simple tie and takes less than five minutes.
But, it doesn't come close to matching the flat shape of a Quill Gordon, a March Brown or a Light Cahill.
It also wouln't come close to matching a Slate Drake, a Hex, a Green Drake or a Trico.
Does it matter?
I don't know. I don't care, either.
Heritage-Angler wrote:
I like to hatch match nymphs as well as emergers, duns and spinners.
Obviously, so do a lot of others.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
A lot of people have no problem going to great lengths to immitate size, shape, and color of mayfly emergers/duns/spinners with their immitations.

I'm guessing it doesn't change. The guys fishing fuzzy blobs are probably fishing comparachutes or whatever snowshoe/cdc thing is in fashion. And if they are having fun doing it, then they are tying the right flies. There are far more important things to argue over (beadheads).
;-)

I do, but only use them when the situation presents itself. Meaning that if generics work I'll stick with them. However, if a specific hatch is going to occur then I'll switch to the species specific pattern....again, if needed.

On occasion. What do you use for a royal wulff nymph? :)

Having visited Dave's page on Hans W's site I know what his answer is. I just wish he would post up some photos and recipes.

Tiogadog, I hesitate to admit that the photos on Hans' site don't represent my best work. I told Hans years ago that I would provide better flies. just never got around to it.

I'll respond to the posts after a few more additions.

I am guilty also and I really like my Green Weenie nymph! LOL

Chaz wrote:
What do you use for a royal wulff nymph? :)

Well, you asked..... :lol:

Attachments

• RW larva.jpg
    RW larva.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 2
Blasphemy... :roll:

cls
Yes, for the nymphs that look drastically different than a PT or HE can replicate like the ISO nymph, but otherwise the generics are just as good.
ARE YOU ABSOLUTLY SURE THEY ARE JUST AS GOOD, DID YOU SEE ALL THE TROUT AND CATCH THEM ON A GENERIC OR MISS A FEW ??

During the winter is when I tie. I tie generic nymphs only. I stockpile pheasant tails, hares ears, and caddis larva. In most situations these catch fish. In the rare situation where a more specific nymph is needed, I usually know what is hatching beforehand and purchase them at the fly shop.

I tie species specific nymphs (and streamers) but I think mostly for my own entertainment. I do most of my fishing (and catching) onn generic patterns.

Back