How many hatcheries in PA

Currently as I understand it that’s not possible. But if your asking from a “if it were” stand point I would say I rarely think absolutes are a viable idea. I think it should be an area by area assessment conducted by experts. I am able to share experts research and advocate for management that is inline with established science but I’m not a practitioner or an expert. You would need someone like that for a case by case area by area basis to tell you about the interactions and what’s at stake.
This here. Well this is a sensible post. If you continue with this approach you will find others more willing to help.

Let’s get the list of hatcheries. You said more than 20 in your county that you know about. Let’s start there. Can you list them?

Apparently your decision not to answer the original question is why this thread is such a train wreck.

should all "invasive species" be eliminated? yes, or no?
Fish sticks and I both answered it. It's not a binary answer. Nor does it need to be. It's an ultimatum created to distract from the issue.
I'll answer it. No. Many are there because no other fish would be present enough to provide recreational fishing opportunity. and that's all this is about. period.
Because "recreational fishing" is all that matters right?

This is a really good video published by NYSDEC that touches on some very important points. Probably worth a watch for some folks here:

Apparently your decision not to answer the original question is why this thread is such a train wreck.

should all "invasive species" be eliminated? yes, or no?

I'll answer it. No. Many are there because no other fish would be present enough to provide recreational fishing opportunity. and that's all this is about. period.
I would like to point out fishing opportunity is a fishing metric not a conservation one. And we are in the conservation forum. If you can fish for something or not doesn’t change the effect the species has on the food web or native species.

This here. Well this is a sensible post. If you continue with this approach you will find others more willing to help.

Let’s get the list of hatcheries. You said more than 20 in your county that you know about. Let’s start there. Can you list them?
The problem is a lot of them are not organizations per say. For example one was just in a guys property we surveyed for the Sunoco pipeline damage we found and it was HUGE a massive spring with pens on both sides of the stream. I was like where do you put all these and he was just like little here little there little over there. I was like Ohhhhkkkk. Others I have heard about from people that are on farms. One I can see on my drive to work every am it’s just a spring that starts under a barn. 3 others are rod and gun clubs. One is a commerical level pay lake that has damed a massive spring that creates the headwaters of a wild trout stream near me that is infested with relatives of escapes.

The problem is a lot of them are not organizations per say. For example one was just in a guys property we surveyed for the Sunoco pipeline damage we found and it was HUGE a massive spring with pens on both sides of the stream. I was like where do you put all these and he was just like little here little there little over there. I was like Ohhhhkkkk. Others I have heard about from people that are on farms. One I can see on my drive to work every am it’s just a spring that starts under a barn. 3 others are rod and gun clubs. One is a commerical level pay lake that has damed a massive spring that creates the headwaters of a wild trout stream near me that is infested with relatives of escapes.
There's one of these by my house. The guy created 3 ponds below the spring house next to his farmhouse and has several hundred trout in them. There's another one up on a class a stream with a similar setup except it's a concrete impoundment creating a spring pond that he stocks full of trout. A local angler messaged me about catching a bunch of "light'n trout" in the Class A and I pointed out that the spring pond has a pretty poor screen on it and it's probably letting them into the stream.

I doubt those show up on the dept of Ag's records.

Her

That's true. You can't know what every individual with a bucket does.

But a good start would be to know which stream sections with native brook trout are stocked by the PFBC & the coop hatcheries. Because that would be the vast majority of stocking over native brook trout. And the PFBC has records of this info. If some conservation group or university researchers requested this info, the PFBC would probably supply it.
There was one more thing I forgot to include that was along the lines of what you had brought up in terms of mapping stuff. I was reading the wild trout management plan and if I recall I think issue 12 was connectivity. And it even mentioned there is an aquatic connectivity team that is assessing connectivity issues for native brook trout. Since we know these stocked trout can be a biological barrier to gene flow and negatively influence brook trout genetics in a significant way, the aquatic connectivity should be factoring this in and not just looking at the AOP scores of these Culverts as they only a piece of the connectivity information. Here is where mapping comes in. There is a GIS map I have heard that maps brown trout related connectivity issues I have to try and dig it up. I wonder if you could overlay a GIS map like that with stocking locations to provide a more accurate picture of connectivity for the aquatic connectivity team? This could be a great way to address issue 12 in the wild trout management plan.

There was one more thing I forgot to include that was along the lines of what you had brought up in terms of mapping stuff. I was reading the wild trout management plan and if I recall I think issue 12 was connectivity. And it even mentioned there is an aquatic connectivity team that is assessing connectivity issues for native brook trout. Since we know these stocked trout can be a biological barrier to gene flow and negatively influence brook trout genetics in a significant way, the aquatic connectivity should be factoring this in and not just looking at the AOP scores of these Culverts as they only a piece of the connectivity information. Here is where mapping comes in. There is a GIS map I have heard that maps brown trout related connectivity issues I have to try and dig it up. I wonder if you could overlay a GIS map like that with stocking locations to provide a more accurate picture of connectivity for the aquatic connectivity team? This could be a great way to address issue 12 in the wild trout management plan.
The fish disperse and go on private property and class A streams where anglers can’t get at them and they can get at brook trout so maybe it wouldn’t be that accurate for long after stocking though.

Could you list the hatcheries you know in your county that do have a name? We need a starting point.

I would like to point out fishing opportunity is a fishing metric not a conservation one. And we are in the conservation forum. If you can fish for something or not doesn’t change the effect the species has on the food web or native species.
So you don't think sport fishing is a conservation issue? hmm

Here's what I just found within 30 miles of my house.

Private hatcheries - 3 (based on google search so not sure how reliable)
Coop Nurseries - 16
State hatchery - 1
Dammed spring ponds that I'm personally aware of - 4 (anecdotal, likely far more)

That's 30 miles from my house, not the county. So 20 within a 30-mile radius of my house. It's notable that there are 161 cooperative nurseries listed in PA.

So you don't think sport fishing is a conservation issue? hmm
Sport fishing has to be taken into consideration in conservation in a bi directional way for example how will sport fishing activities effect the organism attempting to be conserved and what limits will social constructs of sport fishing impose on the logistics of conservation efforts for that organism. I am just saying that goals of sport fishing like higher catch rate, preferred species of angling are not conservation goals.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Excellent troll job boys. Best I've seen on this site in a very long time.

No, and I never said that.

I think your looking at this as a biological problem and the sociological one is a much greater impact.
A greater majority of people want to just catch fish than manage the resource. I don;t subscribe to that mind set but in about 2 days you will have millions of examples of it.

I mean, you can stock sterile water and create a great fishery, I can give you about 1000 examples above 7000 ft but that's not what I'm talking about.

You are out numbered. That's why there are hatcheries. That's why there are brown and rainbow trout in pa. That's why there are Ringnecks in Pa. That's why hatcheries have an impact. And while any "misuse" of good water is problem. You have bigger problems.

This reminds me of a so called "academic" I once interviewed. He could come up with a problem for every solution. He had to. If he ever actually solved a problem, his research would no longer need to be funded.

No, and I never said that.

I think your looking at this as a biological problem and the sociological one is a much greater impact.
A greater majority of people want to just catch fish than manage the resource. I don;t subscribe to that mind set but in about 2 days you will have millions of examples of it.

I mean, you can stock sterile water and create a great fishery, I can give you about 1000 examples above 7000 ft but that's not what I'm talking about.

You are out numbered. That's why there are hatcheries. That's why there are brown and rainbow trout in pa. That's why there are Ringnecks in Pa. That's why hatcheries have an impact. And while any "misuse" of good water is problem. You have bigger problems.
No argument here. I will say, over the past two years in speaking with colleagues up and down the east coast, PA is an outlier on this mindset. I've had to explain things I always just assumed were normal to people and watched the shock on their faces. The "stocking authorization" issue is one of the glaring ones. When I mentioned that I had a few people suspect I was either joking or misinformed.

"We're" definitely outnumbered in PA. I'm not sure that's something to be proud of though.

How many hatcheries in PA.

I do agree a lot do have trout but not all are filled with trout they do try to keep up with some natives. Paddlefish being one but that program I know they did away with.

I do agree a lot do have trout but not all are filled with trout they do try to keep up with some natives. Paddlefish being one but that program I know they did away with.
Yea that’s an important distinction you point out there between conservation hatchery designed to prop up threatened and endangered species and one to supply anglers.

Back