How many hatcheries in PA

Fish Sticks I’m not an expert either?

If your so worked up about invasive fish maybe you should start with the snakehead, there are less of them to get rid of.

Also for someone who have been on this site for only 11 days you have managed to insult some if not most of the members of this site for not enthusiastically embracing your ideas on how the manage the trout population and save the brook trout in Pennsylvania, 52 post in 11 days, please give it a rest, thank you.

If your so worked up about invasive fish maybe you should start with the snakehead, there are less of them to get rid of...
That's exactly why any plan to eradicate "invasive" trout species to favor native brooks trout is a fool's folly.

When you have folks intentionally introducing and moving Snakeheads, a species that threatens the status quo and then some from one watershed to another to increase opportunities; what possible hope can there be that the same thing won't be done with Brown Trout who are not typically viewed with the same disdain?

If your so worked up about invasive fish maybe you should start with the snakehead, there are less of them to get rid of.

Also for someone who have been on this site for only 11 days you have managed to insult some if not most of the members of this site for not enthusiastically embracing your ideas on how the manage the trout population and save the brook trout in Pennsylvania, 52 post in 11 days, please give it a rest, thank you.
Fisheries science is objective, how you feel about fisheries science is subjective. If my efforts to start a discussion about fisheries scientist’s findings that can be used to better the management of native brook trout offend you, you don’t have to read In the conservation forum. These aren’t my ideas to be clear, it would be a lot easier for you to discredit them if they were based on how you feel about your favorite fish/fishing but these ideas are expressed in the literature I post, the scientific brook trout conservation conferences I have attended, and are actual management concerns/ recommendations from federal science agencies you don’t hear about at the fly shop. So please if excuse me if I don’t have 12 years of history telling you what I rub on my fry flies to qualify for an educated discussion about it conservation.

That's exactly why any plan to eradicate "invasive" trout species to favor native brooks trout is a fool's folly.

When you have folks intentionally introducing and moving Snakeheads, a species that threatens the status quo and then some from one watershed to another to increase opportunities; what possible hope can there be that the same thing won't be done with Brown Trout who are not typically viewed with the same disdain?
I personally think this is an interesting discussion. One obviously met with strong opposition in Pennsylvania. Broadly speaking, I think it's an issue when trying to get anglers to understand the importance of not moving species from one water body to another. There's a little bit of "do as I say, not as I do" that presents a problem. Whether it's some relatively new Asian species or a baitfish native to western PA, we have a messaging problem due to decades of supporting the manual movement of species to overcome. I think that has to start somewhere.

I don't know that advocating on this subject is a "fool's folly" necessarily. Other states are far more progressive on this. I think we probably have a skewed perspective of species support here. I haven't seen the same level of negative fervor when AZ introduced the brown trout bounty or when NYS rotenones ponds to restock heritage strain brook trout, or when MD is mechanically eradicating brown trout 40 miles from the PA border.

PA is on a different wavelength for sure.

Who says I don’t want to remove snake heads? Their invasive too, you just don’t feel as warm and fuzzy about them as you do invasive salmonids.

I just would like to know what are you basing your statements about based on brown trout. Are you under the impression they are not harmful to the wider food web or native brook trout. I have data that they harm sculpins, hellbenders, macro invertebrates outside their native range. There are over 50 studies to my knowledge showing they are harmful to native brook trout. And you mistake eradication to mean state wide and not in limited places with downstream barriers or no contiguous populations. You say it’s “a fools errand” but don’t even know what’s out there to use to control them in limited places I’m guessing. If your going to criticize this stance shared by the EBTJV, academics and federal science agencies please back it up with links to studies you have read that back up your position instead of just love of brown trout fishing in the conservation forum.

"Pennsylvania's trout growers produced trout valued at $16.4 million in 2015. Commercial trout producers sold 1.23 million pounds of trout, valued at $6.1 million during 2015, ranking third nationally behind Idaho and North Carolina."

"Pennsylvania rank[sic] second for the value of trout distributed for conservation and recreational purposes, behind Washington’s $19.5 million."

Interesting. I'd guess the 2nd point there is due to us having more flowing water than any other state in the contiguous United States.

Last edited:
"Pennsylvania's trout growers produced trout valued at $16.4 million in 2015. Commercial trout producers sold 1.23 million pounds of trout, valued at $6.1 million during 2015, ranking third nationally behind Idaho and North Carolina."

"Pennsylvania rank[sic] second for the value of trout distributed for conservation and recreational purposes, behind Washington’s $19.5 million."

Interesting. I'd guess the 2nd point there is due to use having more flowing water than any other state in the contiguous United States.
Can’t imagine what the $12.4 million for total stocking program cost I saw in the 2009 document would have done for both fishing and conservation if even half that money was spent annually for a couple decades to buy conservation easements that double as angler access.

Probably a lot less fish making access unnecessary I guess.🤔

Who says I don’t want to remove snake heads? Their invasive too, you just don’t feel as warm and fuzzy about them as you do invasive salmonids.

I just would like to know what are you basing your statements about based on brown trout. Are you under the impression they are not harmful to the wider food web or native brook trout. I have data that they harm sculpins, hellbenders, macro invertebrates outside their native range. There are over 50 studies to my knowledge showing they are harmful to native brook trout. And you mistake eradication to mean state wide and not in limited places with downstream barriers or no contiguous populations. You say it’s “a fools errand” but don’t even know what’s out there to use to control them in limited places I’m guessing. If your going to criticize this stance shared by the EBTJV, academics and federal science agencies please back it up with links to studies you have read that back up your position instead of just love of brown trout fishing in the conservation forum.
First of all, I really don't care...

Second, does "what's out there to control them in limited places," include a bevy of security guards or additional Waterways Conservation Officers to safeguard the watersheds to prevent people from RE-introducing Brown Trout where they've been removed?

THAT'S my point...

In Pennsylvania:
  • It is unlawful for a person to sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter live Snakehead species in Pennsylvania.
  • It is unlawful to possess live Snakehead species in Pennsylvania.
  • It is unlawful to introduce or import live Snakehead species into Pennsylvania waters.
  • Transportation of live Snakehead species in or through Pennsylvania is prohibited.
In addition to other laws prohibiting the transferring of various other species into or between watersheds...

Yet, all of the above happen all the time...

For that reason, I will continue to believe any attempt to eradicate Brown Trout that are extremely popular amongst PA anglers for the purpose of creating an exclusive domain for native Brook Trout to be a fool's folly.

Finally, I am a fisherman with a casual interest in biology and a greater interest in catching fish. For those reasons I really am not interested enough to pursue this conversation any further.

No data, no citations, just a personal attack at the end of a baseless argument. If anyone else wants to talk about the underestimation of groundwater in brook trout habitat modeling, interaction of invasive and native salmonids on the conservation forum it looks like moon is starting to fizzle out here.
Only you and silverfox.

For that reason, I will continue to believe any attempt to eradicate Brown Trout that are extremely popular amongst PA anglers for the purpose of creating an exclusive domain for native Brook Trout to be a fool's folly.
That's a shame. It's also only one side of the argument. Understand there are others who feel differently.
In Pennsylvania:
  • It is unlawful for a person to sell, purchase, offer for sale or barter live Snakehead species in Pennsylvania.
  • It is unlawful to possess live Snakehead species in Pennsylvania.
  • It is unlawful to introduce or import live Snakehead species into Pennsylvania waters.
  • Transportation of live Snakehead species in or through Pennsylvania is prohibited.
In addition to other laws prohibiting the transferring of various other species into or between watersheds...

Yet, all of the above happen all the time...
That's kind of like saying "drunk driving is illegal, but it happens all the time". Let's just forget this whole law thing! Bottoms up boys! 🍻🤣

Only you and silverfox.
If not one wants to talk about it I am not offended, if that’s the case then it’s just a fact. Take the contributions of the scientific community or leave them, as long as falsehoods aren’t being spread. I wouldn’t expect many people would initially want to talk about something like this either because they don’t know about it, that’s why the field of scientific communication/public outreach is being prioritized/funded so much right now. You talk about this stuff and people think you think it’s possible to or want to rotenone all 86,000 stream miles in PA. When really all I want is for the people to have the facts and make their own decision without people spreading lies that make them feel good about what they want swimming in our streams for fishing purposes. People can acknowledge they value conservation of native species, a stable food web and protecting biodiversity and are ok with native brook trout receiving real science based management in 1 or 2 high value watersheds which may or may not include invasive trout removal. Or people can just say “I understand brown trout are an invasive species and harmful to brook trout and the larger food web but at the end of the day conservation is not my number one goal and I prefer to fish for brown trout.”

What’s not ok is saying things proven to be false like “ invasive trout are not a big problem for native brook trout” or removing invasive trout will not help native trout” or “the only thing stopping us from having more brook trout is lack of riparian buffer and water quality”

What ever you choose own you feelings own your decision

If not one wants to talk about it I am not offended, if that’s the case then it’s just a fact. Take the contributions of the scientific community or leave them, as long as falsehoods aren’t being spread. I wouldn’t expect many people would initially want to talk about something like this either because they don’t know about it, that’s why the field of scientific communication/public outreach is being prioritized/funded so much right now. You talk about this stuff and people think you think it’s possible to or want to rotenone all 86,000 stream miles in PA. When really all I want is for the people to have the facts and make their own decision without people spreading lies that make them feel good about what they want swimming in our streams for fishing purposes. People can acknowledge they value conservation of native species, a stable food web and protecting biodiversity and are ok with native brook trout receiving real science based management in 1 or 2 high value watersheds which may or may not include invasive trout removal. Or people can just say “I understand brown trout are an invasive species and harmful to brook trout and the larger food web but at the end of the day conservation is not my number one goal and I prefer to fish for brown trout.”

What’s not ok is saying things proven to be false like “ invasive trout are not a big problem for native brook trout” or removing invasive trout will not help native trout” or “the only thing stopping us from having more brook trout is lack of riparian buffer and water quality”

What ever you choose own you feelings own your decision
And to be clear there is nothing wrong with fishing for brown trout I do it and love it. And wanting to manage for native brook trout in a few places does not mean you hate brown trout either. I own conservation books in brown trout in there native range where ironically brook trout are invasive and an issue. I admire them when I catch them here in PA. I still respect them as beautiful creatures because my fishing for them here is just that, fishing not conservation. I’m not stocking them, propagating them, or advocating for regs/policies to manage for them. You can enjoy brown trout in regards to your fishing and even respect them and admire them
but also realize when we can manage for native fish and healthy food webs in certain places and advocate for that as your conservation.

And to be clear there is nothing wrong with fishing for brown trout I do it and love it. And wanting to manage for native brook trout in a few places does not mean you hate brown trout either. I own conservation books in brown trout in there native range where ironically brook trout are invasive and an issue. I admire them when I catch them here in PA. I still respect them as beautiful creatures because my fishing for them here is just that, fishing not conservation. I’m not stocking them, propagating them, or advocating for regs/policies to manage for them. You can enjoy brown trout in regards to your fishing and even respect them and admire them
but also realize when we can manage for native fish and healthy food webs in certain places and advocate for that as your conservation.
That's a distinction people clearly have a hard time wrapping their heads around.

If you Google "PFBC cooperative nurseries" you will find info on those hatcheries.

If you Google "PFBC cooperative nurseries" you will find info on those hatcheries.
Thank you, going to have to collect this stuff in bits and pieces I get the idea. I don’t think PA fish and boat even knows how many privately owned hatcheries there are and who’s slinging what where. I’ll probably be able to find info based on PAFB hatcheries, co-ops like you posted, pay operations that have websites and are on googles maps and sportsman’s clubs but they large amount of private/spring pond ones after that are likely not listed anywhere I’m guessing.

Thank you, going to have to collect this stuff in bits and pieces I get the idea. I don’t think PA fish and boat even knows how many privately owned hatcheries there are and who’s slinging what where. I’ll probably be able to find info based on PAFB hatcheries, co-ops like you posted, pay operations that have websites and are on googles maps and sportsman’s clubs but they large amount of private/spring pond ones after that are likely not listed anywhere I’m guessing.
Pfbc has little to no jurisdiction over private trout hatcheries, similar to pgc and deer farms.

Also, if you are interested in scientific communication you may benefit from learning how to foster cooperation and partnerships.

Since you are digging into the research, maybe you could find this information.

Which stream sections in PA have native brook trout populations and are stocked with hatchery trout by the PFBC, coop hatcheries, or both?

Back