Hot Spots Anyone?

kyle1248

kyle1248

Does anyone incorporate hotspots in their nymphs? I have found that I have been adding hot spots to pretty much everythign I have tied lately. If you do use hot spots, what color do you find most effective?

Yes I do. I love hot spots, finding orange and pink really effective. But its dont forget to have a good selection of natural nymphs too.

I don't keep up with everything new in terminoligy, but I've always tied some nymphs with red thread so they would have a red head or put a red laquer butt on my wet ants. Brook trout seem to be atracted to red, thats why we have flies like the Royal Coachman and it dosn't stop a brown trout from takeing them either.

fire orange uni thread as a collar behind bead heads or as a head on a pheasant tail is money. I started tying some czech nymphs and have been tying in a hot spot behind the thorax. Don't know how much it does for the fishing, but they look cool. Also, most of my steelhead nymphs are tied with a pink or orange thorax.

buffalo7 wrote:
I don't keep up with everything new in terminoligy, but I've always tied some nymphs with red thread so they would have a red head or put a red laquer butt on my wet ants. Brook trout seem to be atracted to red, thats why we have flies like the Royal Coachman and it dosn't stop a brown trout from takeing them either.

might have something to do with their territorial nature, hence was why clipped fins, and flies that imitate them, were so popular with brook trout fisherman in the early 1900's

I'd say 50% of my nymphs have some sort of hot-spot, or other flashy additions. Some days that Orange thread is key.

I have only used red and pink in my patterns I am going to have to get some Orange Uni-Thread and some different color tungsten beads to play with.

TUNA wrote:
I'd say 50% of my nymphs have some sort of hot-spot, or other flashy additions. Some days that Orange thread is key.

Did you ever try Orvis Holofleck on wing cases, if you didn't, give it a try. I like it.

I'm not familiar with the concept of hot spots. Is the intent the same as a bead head, or a flash back...something to catch the trout's eye to induce it to strike?

Steve,
I don't don't keep up with everything new, because a lot of it is old stuff anyway, but if you go down on flytying forum on this page you will see "hotspot zebra midges" I was going to look for it but someone got it back on the first page, it was posted a few months back, there are pictures in there.

Chad Guerke has some really nice hot spot nymphs on his blog.

http://fathernatureslifeonthefly.blogspot.com
BUGS.jpg

They're pretty neat looking flies, i'm on dial up and couldn't get some of the pics and I only looked at the first page, those woven flies with the wire looked nice, but I started weaving flies about 30 years ago and I stoped about 30 years ago. I don't like spending to mutch time tying one fly.
I tied some beadhead Krystal Flash midges with wire rib a while back that were like the flies above but a little more simple, I never did try them because I do good on that red beadhead zebra midge that I posted on your "hot spot zebra midge thread". Even though I target brookies with red, I catch more browns on it, but I catch more browns on these wild brook, brown streams any way, I think I miss more brook trout, the browns are better at getting the fly in their mouth.

I gave a bunch of fish sore lips today with a size 18 pheasant tail on a scud hook with a bright pink collar. I tried various other flies and this was the only fish that consistently caught fish both stockers and wild browns.

kyle1248 wrote:
I gave a bunch of fish sore lips today with a size 18 pheasant tail on a scud hook with a bright pink collar. I tried various other flies and this was the only fish that consistently caught fish both stockers and wild browns.

You said collar, was that a bead head?

I didn't have any colored beads so I was using black tungsten beads with a collar behind the bead of bright pink mono-cord.

I'll give it a try, I only have chartreuse as far as bright colors. I'll try that until I can get Pink, Sounds good.
Thanks

Back