hot spot zebra midges

D

dubthethorax

Caught a 19 inch bow on one of these in size 20 on Saturday so I whipped out a few. They arent perfect ties, but I'm hoping they do the trick. Anyone have some good midge variations with hot spots? I tried making a few with the hotspot at the back as well.

Attachments

• zebras.jpg
    zebras.jpg
    699.4 KB · Views: 18
Nice, I love the zebra midge. At the run at yellow breeches right were boiling spring leaks into the run tie on a indicator 2 split shots and a black,Olive or red or any color zebra and you have fish. Thats were i caught my 6 pounder !

I tie a lot of mine with an orange tungsten bead.

I tie a lot of different zebra midges. I like using glass caddis beads in various colors, in mainly the 18 - 22 sizes. I almost always use these patterns as a dropper under a dry, this was my go to when fishing the Gunpowder in MD over the summer.

I like a stripped peacock herl zebra midge. I color them with markers and then rib with copper or silver wire. I sometimes put a turn of peacock herl at the bead.

I'll have to try something brighter. Cool idea. The same fish nail tiny orange ants all summer so why not?

Try using some of the colored hot beads, that should brighten then up.

Sorry for bringing up an old post but I have had a lot of success lately fishing a Black and Gold Midge with Red and Pink hot spots. I am glad someone else has had luck with these as well.

i tied a size 18 midge looking fly. It was hot pink thread with a really small bit of peakcock behind the bead. It landed 4 on the first day. Micro nymphing rocks!

If you tie these in white with copper, they look a hell of a lot like a caddis, and brookies love them up my way.

I have had success this year with black, tan, olive and cream colored threads, gold wire and a red or pink hot spot head. I just need to get another bobbin to keep the thread for my hotspot, as it is a pain to change out for every fly. I tied a bunch up tonight on size 22 and 24 curved style hooks. I hope to get out this weekend and try them out. They seem to be the ticket with the waters becoming gin clear. I'm gonna have to try to tie up some larger white ones with copper wire as caddis' are more than likely the predominate hatch in the streams I will be fishing.

My favorite zebra midge has a gold bead head, red floss body with silver wire rib and a couple wraps of peacock. with a red body I don't use a hot spot.

Attachments

• IMG_7072.JPG
    IMG_7072.JPG
    590.5 KB · Views: 10
Back