Hip waders, really?

****’s generally puts their rubber vulcanized hip boots in the bargain bin around June for about $20 bucks. I’ve bought 2 pairs and each pair lasted 2 seasons before the felt/rubber sole started to tear away. And I probably got well over 100 uses out of each of them. I bought the wader hanging hooks and simply rinse them down after each use and hang them upside down in the garage.

As JayL said, they are great for spring creeks and smaller stream and once you wear hip boots on a hot July day you’ll wonder why it took you so long to buy a pair.

biggest thing about storing any wader, especially ones with any type of rubber, keep away from sunlight!! do not hang near any windows. I keep mine in the darkest part of my basement.

stevehalupka wrote:
no doubt chest waders are a no for some spring creeks, but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

My lunch break is one hour. 15 minutes wasted in travel. 5 in setting up. That's 40 minutes to fish.

Hipboots would be easy on, easy off. Effortlessly slip into that 5 minute set up, anything else would take too long.

There's lots of time where I only get an hour or two to fish, why waste time setting up if its just a matter of slipping on hip boots?

I've been close to buying boot foot hippers alot recently, but i probably won't.

you guys are missing the point. If I have more than an hour or two, I'll gladly wader up with stocking foot waisties or chesties. I wanted something around $20 that I could leave in the trunk all year and throw on after work if I'm driving by a stream.

stevehalupka wrote:
but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

Damn right. I was forged in SEPA stringer brigade country, and I don't hide it. Been wearing hippers since I learned to walk. I haven't had a pair in 6+ years, but I am feeling the need.

for 30 more dollars you can be in bean's stocking foots with the guarantee.

Thats 2-3 times the price. The two products do exactly the same thing, and the rubber is likely to last longer if decent care is taken of them. Just sayin....

Cheap $40 Pro-Line hip waders get the job done for me. Anything more than hip waders on the wild streams I fish is overkill. They are fairly light, easy on/off, and inexpensive to replace. Because they WILL get sliced going through the thick stuff along the stream. It seems like I end up with a new pair almost every year. :-D

I took and old pair of chest waders (when I upgraded) and stitched in elastic and straps for make my own hippers.

Kern,

I did something like you..

and yea, I do get the point. They have their time and place. By May, I'm wet wading until October anyway, so it's really of no concern to me... just hope I don't ever get a nasty infection like I believe you did Jay? Was around for the thread, but don't exactly remember.

I can say that after reading that thread, I started wearing pants at least.

It's healed. Still all kinda different colors, but healed. I got off meds last month, which was a life saver. They really tore my stomach up. I find out in march if I can stay off them. I have had enough of it, that's for sure.

Would not recommend.

totally see your point... glad all is healed, and yea, daily meds of any sort can be a bummer, especially if they are no fun.

i used to have hip waders and they make the most sense for most of the streams i fish.i might get a pair this year,if only to save wear and tear on my chest waders.

Here ya go.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Hodgman-Green-Rubber-Hip-Wader-Cleated-Sole/10726533

I would still get them with felt soles, or anything else besides the rubber cleated soles. You can fall in a small stream just as easily as in a large one

hippers? you want hippers? ..........http://www.womeninwaders.com/current.htm

If you need something as high as hippers you might as well throw on your breathables...get a pair of muck boots for your trunk. You can cross most streams at somepoint in them.

Hippers rot and leak. Ask my kid. (fished for three hours with water to his knees without saying a word)

Dear Tom,

I have to respectfully disagree with you.

Ninety percent of the streams I fish can be fished to one hundred percent of my capacity using only hippers.

With that thought in mind I bought a quality pair of breathable hipboots from the evil Empire, AKA Orvis. I find myself wearing them more and more with each passing year.

Should anyone who already has wading boots desire a quality pair of hipboots I will recommend without reservation that you look at the Orivs Endura breathable hipboots.

Their best, but by no means their only, redeeming quality is that if you are a larger than normal person they are generously cut in length, width, and breadth.

For the first time in my life I can wear hipboots that fit properly and give me ample time to pause and reflect on whether it's worth soaking the "boys" for that fish on the other side of the creek.

That is a luxury I don't for one minute regret.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Yep.
Really.

I'm a hip boot fan and if for no other reason than I can usually take a "squirt" with out looking for a place to set my fly rod, hang my vest, blah, blah blah...

And its pretty handie to tuck my reel/ handle into the top of my boot while I gather a pinch of tobacco, or retie my leader. Come on Jay, come back over to the dark side.

for the thread author only:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stearns-Lightweight-Utility-Stocking-Foot-Hip-Wader-L-/370482760689?pt=US_Men_s_Athletic_Apparel&hash=item56427e4bf1

JayL:
Honestly, hip waders are the best choice for mucking around spring creeks and some small streams.

I just bought a pair this fall, they are more convenient than chest waders when you need to be more mobile.

I bought them for my canoe trip in October and they've come in handy since then. Hodgeman rubber soled at Wal-Mart for like $25.

Back