Hip waders, really?

B

bam

$40 for the rubber Pro-Lines. I remember when they used to be $20 regular price at ****s and you could find them in those wire bins on sale for $12.99. I was looking for something cheap that I could leave in the car and throw on when I needed to wet a line after work. Did anyone happen to see them on sale at Wal-mart or anything?

I've seen them on sale at ****s within the past year for $15. Don't know when. Might just do it in the lead up to the season, or to get rid of inventory or something....

I'd bet that you'll get them on sale between now and april.

I let a pair sit in my garage for six months once, then they cracked and now they leak.

Lame.

That is lame. Mine would crack in short order if I left them folded. Guess I'll just continue to use my chesties till I catch em on sale...

LL Bean has Gore-Tex pants waders on sale, thinking about a pair for myself, too.

bam - I just saw some (yesterday) in the clearance section at the Walmart in King of Prussia.....didn't catch the price..

I prefer the Neoprene slip overs....no cracking and dry rotting...and best of all, wear them with your comfortable boots instead of having your foot in some oversized giant rubber boot thats not molded to your foot shape in any way?

Thanks. I'll have to swing past wal-mart in KOP one day.

I'm good in the wader department, I just wanted something cheap and with a bootfoot to save the time of "wadering up" on the small streams around here.

I still like the convenience of hip boots on small streams.
I bought a pair of hodgman canvas hippers with felt soles about 3 years ago, and they are holding up fine. Don't have to worry about them cracking.
I paid around $35 for them I believe. Considering the price of breathables, still quite cheap IMO

Walmart also has $40 neoprene stocking foot waders. Check the online price, sometimes it's cheaper than in the store and you can ship from online to the store for free.

for 30 more dollars you can be in bean's stocking foots with the guarantee...

hip waders haha.

Honestly, hip waders are the best choice for mucking around spring creeks and some small streams.

I might be getting a pair too, assuming I can get them cheap.

jayL wrote:
Honestly, hip waders are the best choice for mucking around spring creeks and some small streams.

I might be getting a pair too, assuming I can get them cheap.

Even more so than some of the 'waist' waders?

Yes. The idea is that they can be thrown in the trunk, easy on/off, cheap, can get filthy, and can be easily rolled down. I am sure there are others reasons why they work well, but that's enough for me.

It tends to be 56 trillion degrees in the swamps around a spring creek in the dead of summer. You usually can't wade them anyway.

Meh 0

I agree waist waders. i mean if you are talking easy on/off they win.

^ yup... I'll wet wade w. brush pants before you see me in hip boots... bean makes a fairly cheap pair:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/50073?feat=1109-GN2

no doubt chest waders are a no for some spring creeks, but come on jay, rubber hippers haha?

I use hippers on certain creeks around me, I could probably just use some english "wellies" if I could find them anywhere. they are nothing more than tall rubber boots.
I use and love my waist highs also, I use them 95 percent of the time I fish. I rarely find the need to wade past my waist anymore, and they are very comfortable and cool to wear. one bonus of waist highs over hippers, no wet *** when sitting on a wet rock!
it's all in what ya like!

Rubber hippers are nice in that their good muck and brush boots, and something you don't have to baby.

Agree with biker, though. Crouch in knee deep water and I always get my butt wet, then wish I had waste highs at that moment.

Oh well, nothing's perfect! Advantages and disadvantages to everything...

Canvas type of hippers will help with snakes, I use and sell the frogg togg waders now. really nice and good prices.

Back