Help with Valley Creek?

shakey wrote:
NickR wrote:
Some very good advice given in previous posts. Watch out for spawning fish and redds. I really don't see how someone can avoid stepping on redds when they are wading through a Creek that is 5-15 feet wide in most places? I stopped by the other day and saw 5!guys wading right through the middle of the Creek. The redds are there for a considerable amount of time after thenfiah spawn on them and become harder to spot as time passes. Those Valley Creek fish never really get a break and that's why they are so finicky.

Legend has it that Valley Creek trout won't eat a fly if you present a fly from upstream of the fish. That would be false. Casting down allows you to present your flies first so your not putting a fly line over the fishes head. I get a lot of strikes on the swing or right when the line starts to tighten up and the flies start to rise in the water column...see Leisenring lift.

yes! i only fish valley down,unless i have to use a dry.

also,i use pretty big flies there.

But!!!
Post spawn,I don’t wade till spring.

Those eggs have to hatch!!
i do not crawl.

i don't stay out of the water.

i don't wear camo.

so,i fish valley pretty much the opposite of how most people suggest you fish it.

good luck!

If you swing a caddis after a very long cast goin downstream, i bet you could wear sparklers with spinning tassels and catch fish in valley ;-)

This was a helpful thread for a novice angler. Please indulge me a stupid question - I see the advice to cast downstream so as not to put the line over their heads. Does that mean that, when fishing, you move/walk upstream and float them behind you (i.e., cast from the bank at 45 degrees upstream or 90 degrees to the stream, mend, and drift)? Or do you do the same thing, but moving/walking downstream?

Also, I'm thinking about going in the evening, around 6 or 7 PM. Any tips for fishing at that time in late August? Dry droppers with small nymphs and terrestrials?

Back