Help I’m Stuck!

JimNovo

JimNovo

Anybody have a new or unique tip on how to separate two rod sections that are stuck?

I’ve tried the things on the internet (behind the knee… ice one side…. Etc) and none are working.

Thanks!!

Patience for sure.
I've had them remain stuck for days before finally breaking loose.
Whether it was due to coolness, humidity, or something else.
It eventually came apart

Get a second person to help you pull the rod apart. Face each other, with each person placing one of their hands on the rod sections on the opposite side so you‘er in effect doubling the pulling power. If this doesn’t work, heat the female ferrule with something like hot water on a cloth before you begin pulling apart.

I tried a tip I saw on one of Kelly Galloup's videos and it worked. Put a couple wraps of duct tape - sticky side out - on each rod section, grab the sticky tape, and twist. Voila! I did have to twist it twice before it came loose. And I cleaned the ferrules as best I could afterwards.

hmm interesting. i have never had this problem before. once you get it apart try using a very light spray of some pam cooking spray.

I tried a tip I saw on one of Kelly Galloup's videos and it worked. Put a couple wraps of duct tape - sticky side out - on each rod section, grab the sticky tape, and twist. Voila! I did have to twist it twice before it came loose. And I cleaned the ferrules as best I could afterwards.
Tried it….didn’t work

heat will cause the material to expand freeze the rod.
Heat the female ferrule, freeze the male ferrule. Don‘t overdo either one.

Anybody have a new or unique tip on how to separate two rod sections that are stuck?

I’ve tried the things on the internet (behind the knee… ice one side…. Etc) and none are working.

Thanks!!

What kind of ferrule, metal, glass spigot, graphite spigot, glass sleeve-over, graphite sleeve-over???

If it's metal DON'T TWIST!!!

Also, knowledgeable bamboo rod makers will discourage you from lubricating ANY metal ferrule with ANYTHING, especially the 1920's trick of using "nose oil" which contains skin acids that will corrode a properly fitting ferrule. The fit is based on suction and two completely clean metal surfaces.

I'll tell you what to do with a ferrule that is too tight IF your issue is with a metal ferrule but lubricating it is NOT the answer!!

In regards to stuck ferrules:

I drink beer before & after I fish for two reasons: I like beer and icing a stuck joint (which includes graphite spigots, glass spigots and nickel silver ferrules on bamboo rods) always seems to do the trick.

After icing it for a few minutes while enjoying a beer, I grip the stuck sections with a couple of pieces of the "rubberized" shelf liner that I always have in one of my gear bags and pulling STRAIGHT.

If this doesn't work, get a partner, ice the rod again and with your partner facing you and also using pieces of the shelf liner stuff, both of you grab the rod on opposite sides and pull straight.

Baring a ferrule that has been joined and left that way for a LONG time, I have never failed to get a stubborn joint unstuck using ice and grippy pieces of something.

In regards to PM, all I do with metal ferrules is wipe them off with a clean rag before & after fishing.

I do the same with glass or metal spigots and IF I start fishing when it is cold with a rod with graphite or glass spigots and it gets really warm in the middle of the day, I may loosen and re-seat those ferrules because it's always under those conditions I may have problems.

I wax the male ferrules on rods with sleeve over ferrules with a VERY light coating of paraffin and I remove and reapply that wax at least once a season to prevent grit accumulation.

I've never felt the need nor is is recommended to wax spigot ferrules, although some some folks do.

Good luck!!

Reactions: JGR
Careful apply WD-40. Apply to ferrule connection and let it set 5-10 mins. After separating, clean ferrules with Q-tip and alcohol.

Ice it like a bad ankle for about thirty minutes . Throw a ziplock of ice over connection.

Never knew the Galloup Tape technique to fail. Try a few drops of WD 40 or similar down female ferrule to lube connection. Try not to any on blank, or you lose all your grip friction. Let sit ~15 mins. Retry galloup method

Get a second person to help you pull the rod apart. Face each other, with each person placing one of their hands on the rod sections on the opposite side so you‘er in effect doubling the pulling power. If this doesn’t work, heat the female ferrule with something like hot water on a cloth before you begin pulling apart.
I asked the Orvis rod shop guys how they get sections apart when a customer sends them back stuck. The method above is what is used at the Orvis rod shop. Add rubber pads used for removing lids (or something similar) for each hand to get a better grip and you should have no problem pulling it apart.

Rubbing ferrule wax (paraffin) on the male ends of your rod every so often will prevent the sections from getting stuck in the future. Orvis gives a container of ferrule wax to customers with every rod they sell.

Just this morning I took a well used two piece spinning rod in need of repair apart that hasn’t been apart in a decade. It was hopelessly stuck. A couple drops of reel oil, five minutes of waiting, pulled right apart with little effort. Way faster then suffering through a long winded Kelly Galloup video on how to use tape.

Wearing a pair of Nitrile type medical gloves might give you some extra grip.

Back