Help choosing fishpond pack for montana trip

I'm a large man. The straps allow a large range of adjustment. This pack may be a little large for a very small person.

Jdaddy:
He wants to buy a pack. No matter how much logic you throw out there, dude wants to buy a cool pack. There is nothing wrong with this.

Kinda brings me back to the thread I started a while ago, "The right backpack - fishing /hiking /photo."

I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat eccectric I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use. I really just wanted a new, cool looking, comfortable, all around pack and did get some good suggestions and conversation from it. But overall, you pretty much get set on what you really want, in the end it's up to you and all that is said on topic is good to know anyway.

For those of you who own these types of packs, do you use them all the time you fish? Or just when you are doing longer treks, when you need to be carrying food, water, raincoats, etc.?

And then do you have another lighter weight setup for when you are fishing something close to the car, such as the Little Lehigh?

Do these packs weigh very much?

And if so, do you switch everything back and forth? tippet, shot, fly boxes, hemostats, etc., etc.

My old green Orvis vest is in tatters and it pulls on the shoulders too.

Trying to find the perfect (and simple) system. I do a lot of backcountry fishing. Need room for raincoat, water bottle, fleece jacket, food, camera, fishing stuff.

But I also often just hit Spring Cr for the evening sulphur hatch and don't need a lot of stuff then.

Would prefer to have one pack/vest to use all the time, rather than switching back and forth.

troutbert, if I were you, I would get a chest pack and a backpack. You have a lot of options this way. You can get just about any sized chest pack that you need and a small, lightweight backpack to hold food and a rain jacket. Fishpond sells a pair together, but you can buy them separately as long as they don't interfere with one another on your chest. Your best bet is a smaller chest pack if you're gonna go this route.

http://fishpondusa.com/piney-creek-tech-pack.cfm

http://fishpondusa.com/tundra-tech-pack.cfm

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat cooler than jesus I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use...But overall, you pretty much get set on what you really want, in the end it's up to you and all that is said on topic is good to know anyway.

you had some sort of requirement i was compelled to meet.

and you're right, buy whatever youw ant and you'll like it. if you don't like it, don't buy it. its how you end up with the most satisfaction in a deal.

troutbert wrote:
For those of you who own these types of packs, do you use them all the time you fish? Or just when you are doing longer treks, when you need to be carrying food, water, raincoats, etc.?

And then do you have another lighter weight setup for when you are fishing something close to the car, such as the Little Lehigh?

And if so, do you switch everything back and forth? tippet, shot, fly boxes, hemostats, etc., etc.

Trying to find the perfect (and simple) system. I do a lot of backcountry fishing. Need room for raincoat, water bottle, fleece jacket, food, camera, fishing stuff.

But I also often just hit Spring Cr for the evening sulphur hatch and don't need a lot of stuff then.

Would prefer to have one pack/vest to use all the time, rather than switching back and forth.

I have a Willy J Confluence and the Willy J Escape Backpack with dual front compartments. I tend to switch back and forth depending on where I am going, the season, and how much I need to carry. I find switching my stuff back and forth takes no longer then 10 minutes at home. Though, I am new and do not have as much FF crap as you guys do.

troutbert wrote:

I guess I'm a lot like you in what I carry. I retired my vest along time ago and use the same vest/pack all the time when I fish for trout (I have a bass/WW vest/pack too). Mine is an old Orvis model vest pack, the larger one. I think it was called the "Hydration Pack" but I removed the bladder. It has a generous backpack along with two pouches up front.

In the backpack, I carry my raincoat, some extra doodads, and my water bottle and lunch. It has a bungie type deal in the back that I use for attaching my shirt or jacket when I remove it when it warms up. There's also a place to carry a rod tubes for back-packing.

I prefer pouches that hang to the side rather than one big one up front which seems to always be in my way, and doesn't allow you to see your feet when wading or hiking.

I hate to switch over stuff and chose flies to be used for the day. I carry 4 fly large fly boxes (3 of them are swingleaf boxes) which allows me to carry 1000++ flies.

I never forget anything, because the same stuff is always with me all the time. I can close my eyes and find anything in my pack.

If you are a vest guy that carries a lot of stuff, these packs are for you. I used to have a backache every fishing trip with a vest, but now my pack style vest balances the weight on my shoulders and is much more comfortable. Also the straps are adjustable (not one size like a vest) and you can adjust them for wearing a t-shirt in the summer to wearing a heavy clothes in the winter. Also they are cooler to wear in the hot weather.

I would trade my V-pack for anything! HTH.

troutbert wrote:

- I was using it all the time until I got a chest pack.

- I've been using the lighter setup for fishing local holes. When I plan on going to the Jam this year (which is a big trip for me, considering it's out of state and multiday) I will be bringing my techpack. But I will also be bring my smaller pack just as a back up and to see if I can consolidate and travel light after a day or two to evaluate what I really need, and what I can do without.

- I don't have an exact weight for my fishpond, but it's light. It's comfortable to wear all day. This nice thing about it, compared to a standard vest, is that it has straps you can customize for a better fit, thus taking most of the weight off your shoulder and distributing it around you waist, like a real backpack.

- Switching around isn't too hard.

- About the Orvis vest, see what I said above about the weight of the fishpond.

- If you want one go to pack, get the fishpond (or Allen) you were looking at. It's quite comfortable. I've actually never felt uncomfortable in it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

One word of caution. I'd be more leery of a chest pack rather than a tech pack. Some of the chest packs are quite bulky in the front and can limit your lateral arm movement. If you want a vestpack/techpack you'll be ok, be if it's a chest pack, I'd say try it before you buy it.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat eccectric I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use.

5406347084_cd84f32d58_b.jpg

ps: mock if you will, works like a champ.

Looks like a wading belt + back support with just standard alice magazine pouches for doo dads. maybe a water bottle holder? I can't see the other side but it looks like some type of sling with a little man-purse for fly boxes

gfen wrote:
JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
I wanted to hear suggestions, and Gfen being somewhat eccectric I think, suggested I go out all commando wearing the alice system the troops use.

5406347084_cd84f32d58_b.jpg

ps: mock if you will, works like a champ.

That ain't no Flooger.

Is that a Euro-nymphing sighter on that leader? :lol:

No. Its furled 6# Trilene Red, then furled 4# Spiderwire...

Ditched all that stuff.

Using a lanyard to hold tippet spools,nippers,hemo's, and floatant.

I put a snack and tp in the zipper pocket in my waders.

My waterproof camera goes in the outside wader pocket. My use a water bottle holder on my wading belt to hold a nalgene.

Make use of a fishing shirt with two big front pockets to hold 2 medium fly boxes.

If cold or wet- I wear a jacket and the fly boxes go in the jacket pockets.

I have cycled through the sling type, couple vests and a downs chest box and this is what I have settled on for now.

As for Packs- several of my buddies have this confluence They seem to like. Big enough to hold most gear but not too big to be bulky. I dont think you could pack a fleece into it though.
If you need that, why not just go to a bookbag/backpack?

This has caught my interests for the looks, the capacity, the comfort and the price.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/45399?feat=9963-GN2

HA those are the same sighters that the competition guys use for euro nymphing . Well there you have it folks change gfens vote i am interested in the methods. Thanks for finally showing your true side of fly fishing. I knew you would fess up sooner or later ! HAHAHAA

troutslammer wrote:
HA those are the same sighters that the competition guys use for euro nymphing . Well there you have it folks change gfens vote i am interested in the methods. Thanks for finally showing your true side of fly fishing. I knew you would fess up sooner or later ! HAHAHAA

Really, they furl up some 6# mono they bought because it was on sale? And to think, I thought they sat around and spent way too much cash on fancy imported bi-coloured thingies and then wrapped them around dowels to boil.

Well, garsh. Look at me, its almost like I can come up with the same ideas those brilliant competiors do without even caring.

I wonder what ELSE has been done for years without a fnacy name? (that's your cue, Pete)

gfen should we ask the mods to change your vote or are you still in denial ? this is great ! Go ahead and take your foot out of your mouth i am sure it doesn't taste too good ! HAHAHAA

Stop falling in love with me.

Back