Headlight for Night Fishing

T

tracker12

Looking for a light to use for night fishing. I have a couple head lamps nut they do not fold down low enought to tie the fly on very well. Any suggestions.

I have an old petzl tikka headlamp- very small but does'nt have a tilt feature and it makes it tough to wear a hat with it on.

Can say I have bought the cheaper types that clip on to your bill of your hat and have lost them all. I either knock them in the water or they get knocked off my hat bushwhacking.

Maybe the type that are inside the bill would be better. That's all I can add.

I bought a Petzl headlamp years ago and I think they are very, very good. The models seem to have all changed, but the features are similar and I think you'll have good luck with them.

Here's one that appears to have a swivel mount:
http://www.petzl.com/en/outdoor/tactikka-series/tactikka-xp

Use the blue filter while you are fishing. It really helps preserve your night vision.

I use the cheap energizer ones that come with red and white lights. It folds down 90 degrees.

I think it was 12 bucks at target.

The Petzels are great but tuff to use with a hat on. I was more for something that would attqach to the bill but would be able to fold down when trying to tie.

Here's the one I have:

botach_1724_17427939

Tracker,

Something like this perhaps. It clips to your hat and bend down for tying.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=0H4R&dir_id=758&group_id=17492&cat_id=15833&subcat_id=15821

I also have a small led light that has a short (1.5") flexible goose neck. It clips to a hat or pocket and you can bend the light in any direction. I can't remember the name and it's all the way out in the truck right now.

gzacckey wrote:
Tracker,

Something like this perhaps. It clips to your hat and bend down for tying.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=0H4R&dir_id=758&group_id=17492&cat_id=15833&subcat_id=15821

I also have a small led light that has a short (1.5") flexible goose neck. It clips to a hat or pocket and you can bend the light in any direction. I can't remember the name and it's all the way out in the truck right now.

I think I've seen a cheapo one of those at the checkout at walmart. Thought about picking one up. I use a head mount light with 3 settings that adjusts. Haven't used it much yet, but like it so far. My wife picked it up so don't know where she got it.

It really depends on if you want to fish with the headlamp on, or with it off. If you want to fish with a headlamp on, I think your best bet is going to be either red or blue LED's. With white LED's, the light wavelength intensity is pretty high, and could create a glare on the water that will spook fish. Red or blue leds have a much lower wavelength intensity, and won't have the same effect. That's why when you turn on a white LED in a car, the windows will light up like a lamp with glare, but if you turn on a red or blue LED you don't have the same effect. I am by no means an expert, this is all info I gleaned from working at a store during college that sold LED's.

A lot of headlamps out there now have a white with red or blue option.

Although you can never go wrong with Petzel, I bought the Badlands 12 LED Headlamp, and I really like it. For people like me with Barry Bonds-sized noggins, the strap over the top is kind of nice. And for normal retail cost (about $23), it's a pretty good value.
http://www.badlandspacks.com/index_reload.php

But I do LOVE fishing mice and streamers on western rivers at 2AM. The big boys come out to dance.

I picked up a 2 pack at Bass Pro Shops of a store brand clip under the visor model. One lamp is green, one is white. I use the green on stream and doesn't seem to diminish night vision. I use the white on my walk to and from the stream as the white is much brighter. They are 2 years old, are still working fine, have not YET been lost and were approx $15 for the 2 pack.

Here is one that might satisfy your requirements.

Trevor Young

Link

I think that Orvis lamp will work. Not a bad price also. Thanks for the lead.

Came back from Cabela's today, where I bought one of their house branded headlamps... On sale from $39 to $29 (white/green LEDs) or $25 (white xenon and white LEDs).

It was a mostly spur of the moment purchase, but it seems to work pretty well. Figured I'd throw it out there since it is on-topic.

Back