Has anyone fished the South Platte River in CO?

Acristickid

Acristickid

I will be out there October 11th till the 18th. I will be fishing Spinney dam, Eleven mile, and Cheesman canyon. I certainly have read a bit about it. Fall run browns look impressive along with rainbows and greenback cutthroats inhabiting those waters. Wondering if anyone has first hand experience? I will be staying most of the time at a hotel at 11 mile and a few nights in Deckers. Supposed to be very windy at the "Miracle mile" between the lakes. Gonna use the six weight! Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks P-

I've been to CO 3 times, twice for over 6 weeks at a time and once for 3 weeks. One trip in Mid Oct, 1999 showed me how quickly weather cahnges out there. one day it can be 70 degrees and the next day can be in the 20's and snowing. Especially in Sinney area which is I'd say around 10,000ft. Don't be surprised if there's snow up there. The first time I was there it snowed 3 times in Denver. The next time I was there it was snowing in late April, that will give you an idea of what you might face.
Have plenty of blue winged olives, and midge patterns. There may also be some caddis around. There is an excellent fly shop on Denvers south side, I don't remember the name, but you can probably google it. they should be able to help with hatches beside the ones I mentioned.
Oh and nymphs. Stimultators will work on the feeder streams.

I fished the Miracle mile (dream stream, spinney ranch) in May 2006 for about an hour and a half. The water was clear, but I couldn't locate any fish to speak of. I fell back to plan B and drove around to 11 mile canyon. I fished several spots in the first mile or so below the dam and caught a lot of wild rainbows. I had most of my luck with buckskin caddis nymph pattern in the riffles. The fish were easily spooked in the calm clear pools, but I could hammer them in the riffles.

I had a lot of help from the folks on this board RockyMtnFly when planning my trip. Once you register, you can see my trip report here elevenmile report, and my Q & A with the regulars here my intro to the forum

I fished a 5 weight, but a 4 weight would hae been adequate in the canyon (sheltered from wind). You might need a 6 on the Miracle mile if its windy. I'd bring a couple just in case... :)

If you are fishing for spawning browns above a lake especially ,they will be primarily fish eaters.Forget the insect patterns and load up on streamers in 2 and 4.
Rule no.1
big browns do not like sunlight.guides like sunlight and 8 to 5 days-the browns will move off the beds and into deeper water and hunker down until the sunlight is off the water.
If you want to catch trophy browns and some trophy bows following them to feast on eggs,fish the hours from sundown to sun up-all nite if your game.
Exception-rainy days or spitting snow then you can have fabulous fishing all day long.
Rule no.2
The beds will almost always be on gravel on an inside bend.They will move up at night and off in the morning-be there.
Otherwise you can sometimes catch the big ones at the eye of the pool.Think thats what its called.The seam at the top of the pool where the water is a little slower on the side but not an eddy.
Take it from someone that spent thirty years concentrating on the spawning browns.
The trophy ones don't like sunlight.You will much improve your chances by resting during the day and fishing the hours from sundown to sunrise.
Pray for bad weather but dress for it.As long as your guides don't freeze you can some fabulous fishing on really nasty days.
6wt. is a little light for big rivers and big flies unless your in a boat[better to wade fish]
9 foot 8wt with fast sinking heads is ideal.

Dear acristic,

Get in touch with Charlie Craven at Charlie's Fly Box. It's the best fly shop in Denver bar none and Charlie is a helluva guy.

Tell him I sent you and tell him if he doesn't take care of you I'll send my brother's Peahead and Gator after him. :-D

Here is a link.

http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/

You can get by with a 4 or 5 weight out there for the most part. Even down below Decker's the South Platte isn't any larger than Penn's Creek, when Penn's has water in it.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Excellent! Just the kinda stuff I was hoping for. I will provide a full report with photo's. Now if I could just figure out the Yough! I am beginning to believe my success is affected by the flows there as I can only fish the weekends when flows are at there highest.

Back