Guide licensing info

JG63

JG63

All, I'm considering getting back into the guiding game after a 23 year hiatus. I see the price of licensing has gone up.. Questio. For existing guides - how much liability insurance do you carry for client mishaps etc. I would not be using a boat, strictly wade fishing. Thanks JG

You need to carry $600.00 a year insurance to guide in Pennsylvania. That is for wading don't know about guiding with a boat.

If your interested I wouldn't mine joining forces with you. I do believe we are in the same area. I got laid off a month ago from the Natural Gas Industry and the job scene here is dismal. I was a guide out west for three years after I went to the Sweetwater Guide School. One year on the Big Horn in Fort Smith Montana, one year on the Snake River in the Grand Tetons both with a drift boat, and the last season I wade guided in Estes Park Colorado up in Rocky Mountain National Park.So if your interested let me know I'm not green horn to guiding, and need work in this area.
Thanks

JG63 wrote:
All, I'm considering getting back into the guiding game after a 23 year hiatus. I see the price of licensing has gone up.. Questio. For existing guides - how much liability insurance do you carry for client mishaps etc. I would not be using a boat, strictly wade fishing. Thanks JG

Insurance

Charter boat operators and fishing guides must possess and maintain in full force and effect general liability insurance for all periods during which they are operating a charter boat/fishing guide operation on the waters of the Commonwealth. The minimum amount of coverage is $250,000 for each occurrence and $500,000 in the aggregate. Applicants and holders of charter boat/fishing guide permits must provide proof of insurance upon the request of the Commission.

PFBC Guide License Info

If the minimum is 250k / 500k, you should have the agent also quote you 500k / 1mil and 1mil / 2mil. The price difference might only be $25 a year. It's easier to come up with $25 of additional premium than it is to come up with $400,000 to settle a claim. I believe you also need CPR certificate.

Wow! To operate a guide boat in Pennsylvania will break you. I never had to pay out west the fly shop's I worked for covered everything. Never asked what the cost was.

You need 3 Red Cross certifications to guide any where.

Any case JG63 just wants to wade guide. I have an offer next spring from Tom at Slate Run Fly Shop to guide if I want. He said for wading I will need $600.00 a year insurance policy.

Coudersportguy wrote:
Any case JG63 just wants to wade guide. I have an offer next spring from Tom at Slate Run Fly Shop to guide if I want. He said for wading I will need $600.00 a year insurance policy.

What I guess he is saying, is the insurance (250K/500K I would guess) will cost you $600 / year. You may want to shop around with several insurance agents and companies to get other quotes.

As mentioned, the other requirement is CPR certification.

(The link I posted above from the PFBC site has all the info)

yeah it is the 250K/500K. Mine runs me about $250 per year, plus $100 for guide license, and you also need cpr/first aid. Shop around, a lot of companies don't offer the ins. as it is not a money maker for them, and those that do have price ranges all over the place.

I'm sure insurance quotes vary depending on the state and the water you will be taking clients to. I know the Big Horn was not to bad as far as drift boating not a lot of white water, but the Snake River from Deadman's Bar to Moose Junction was a wicked piece of water at the beginning of the guiding season with all the snow melt.

Get a boat and guide on the Delaware River..... PA guide license, NY guide license, iinsurance, CPR / First Aid, PA launch permit and National Park Permit are needed. You'll be in for $1500-$2000 before you even pushed off.

Or just go out west and just have your Red Cross First Aid, CPR, and AED cards and that is all you need. Let the fly shop you work for take care of the rest.

Yeah, that's my understanding. Here, you get gouged.....unfortunately.

krayfish2 wrote:
Yeah, that's my understanding. Here, you get gouged.....unfortunately.

Yep...Insurance guys are even bigger shysters than lawyers!....but no where near as bad as the guys ripping off people making and selling FFing equipment...:oops:

So true so true. $700.00 for a pair of waders! I can buy a 1989 Toyota pickup for that price and get more miles out of it.

Not all insurance guys are shysters lol

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Not all insurance guys are shysters lol

I don't think its so much the guys...its the system

Cheese and rice! No wonder guides are charging in excess of $400 a day. I'm guessing the PAFBC $100 "fee" is a yearly event too. Plus box lunches, purchasing extra gear for sports who dont have any, and fuel cost, I'm not sure it can be profitable.

At 400 a day it sounds very profitable if you can work every day. Problem is few people are going to pay that rate especially in pa where guides are not really needed.

At best guiding in pa would be nothing more then a supplemental retirement income gig. You most likely will not be paying your bills and sending your kids to college on it.

Back