Green drake comments requested.

Where do you guys get your closed cell foam? It's different than the typical foam you get at craft stores, correct?

ry, I don't think it's different.
I got mine from craft store.

Jayl guys try the Oliver Edwards Mohican it's meant to be a killer pattern in the uk...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQsKNQ03qjA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_laGZU--D0

ok guys tell me what you think heres what i came up with for a partial realistic (to me) green drake heres the recipe

hook tfs (the fly shop) 5263 sz 10 2 xl
tail phesant tail fibers
rib canary yellow 3/0 thread
body olive dub with phesant tail from the tail overlaying the top of the body
hackle 1 grizzly and one olive the olive being a lil bit longer fibres than the grizzly

and thats it here a pic below it needs trimmed a bit

Attachments

• green drake.JPG
    green drake.JPG
    890.6 KB · Views: 3
Only the fish can tell you if it will work, but my guess is it will. I've caught fish on far worse than that! I'd fish it.

FWIW - a pretty good match for the GD dun underside body color is Fly-Rite #41. I also like moose body hair for the tails, as it helps float the heft of such a big azzed bug - I tie 6 fibers for the tail, and split them around a dubbing ball. I also use wood duck wings, and just grizzly hackle.

A friend of mine ties giant size GD Klinkhammers, and she kicks butt with those things.

If you make it to the Jam on Friday night, maybe we can tie some if we're sober enough. :lol:

sure i may make it to the jam by 9 or 930 friday night ill be leaving right after work

i dont drink much so theres a good chance ill be sober enough lol

hey flip , its supposed to coll down next week , it will delay the sulfurs probably but make sure u have sulfurs nymphs size 16 or pt in size 16

im tying those too i hope i have the color right

flipster - maybe this will help for the color:

Attachments

• sulphurnymph1.jpg
    sulphurnymph1.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 2
  • sulphurnymph2.jpg
    sulphurnymph2.jpg
    654 KB · Views: 4
I think it's interesting the difference in the naturals that both redrockgrizzly and David posted. Redrock's is more tan on the belly and dark brown on top, while David's is def green, especially up against his hat... now which one is it??? lol

Like anything, it varies. The green background in David's picture probably tricks your eyes a bit.

They definitely vary in different streams. The underside is all that matters, though, and it ain't green.

For GD duns, Jonas uses light olive dubbing whereas FFP uses Sulfur dubbing. They are selling for the same streams. Jonas' works for me, so I haven't used the FFP ties, but I'm betting they work as well.

Green drake duns I like are traditional hackled flies. When the green duns hatch they are big, wobbly bugs that flop all over like a new born colt trying to stand up. I think an old school hackled fly gets that look better than one of the newer style patterns that floats flush. My opinion is different for sulphurs.

I'm also in the make them in a yellowish rather than pale olive color camp. The side that the trout sees looks light yellow to me. Then again, color is probably secondary to size and shape.

My final comment on the duns is that in my experience the trout hammer the nymphs and then take a siesta until the spinners drop leaving the duns largely alone. Often when the drakes are hatching I have found them to hit better on the sulphurs they have got used to eating for a couple of weeks. Some say the green drake duns are"all show and no go", but they are worth a shot. While I have gotten some on the drakes, the epic fishing I have had is on the coffin flies well after dark.

JeffK wrote:
I'm also in the make them in a yellowish rather than pale olive color camp. The side that the trout sees looks light yellow to me.

Have you ever dunked your head under the water and looked up at the underside of a GD natural?

JackM wrote:
Have you ever dunked your head under the water and looked up at the underside of a GD natural?

Not on purpose. :lol:

I draw the line at taking pictures of bugs above the water's surface. That's about as nerdy as I'm willing to go.

Attachments

• 2008_0531Fish-In0028.JPG
    2008_0531Fish-In0028.JPG
    785.6 KB · Views: 4
Here's my first attempt at tying a coffin fly. Let me know what you guys think.

Coffin Fly Try 5-5-10-1.jpg

goodfortune21

Looks good. I don't even bother with the wing material.,.. just use the big hackle...Clip top and bottom and they work great. Nice fly.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
That's about as nerdy as I'm willing to go.

You can be yourself here, you're among friends.

Mike, that's an excellent coffin fly! Since you are using a hackle for additional support, consider cutting down of the antron winging material, but spread it a little at the tie-down point where you figure-8 wrap to make it a little wider, but more "airy."

goodfortune wrote:
Here's my first attempt at tying a coffin fly. Let me know what you guys think

Here's something that you might find useful:

Take a needle and put a TINY drop of superglue at the base of each wing. It helps the wings stay in position, but don't put too much on, or it will run up the wing by capillary action and make it stiff.

Nice fly, Mike!

Back