Great Lake Tribs (OH, PA, NY) 2015-2016

I've had good fishing in Finger Lakes tribs and the Salmon R in early Sept, but you need to be lucky. The early fishing is fickle IMHO. In the Fingers the landlocked peak is October, but some will come up early if there is a high water event to draw them in. They are spate streams and the fish come in on high water and don't stay long when it drops. If it is low and clear it will be tough, especially early.

I've had great fishing in September in the Salmon under specific conditions. If there is a week of strong westerlies it will pile warm water against the shore and drive the salmonids staging near shore deeper. However, if the Salmon R is running cool then some will run into the river for relief. It's not a common thing, but if fates align it can work.

Some summer steelhead, Atlantics (whose pops are way up and down), and browns trickle in during late summer. If the water is warm they can be stale and tough to hook. Cooler water can perk them up. There are some resident/stocked browns in the Salmon as well.

I'd take a rod. If conditions are low, clear, and warm it will be tough. If there is a high water event when the water just starts to clear it can be good. This time of year you wouldn't find crowds and the weather should be pleasant. Therefore, the downside is a pleasant day on the stream with no fish. The upside is hooking a nice fish - you only need one.

One more thought. For the Fingers a good guide is John Gaulke.
http://www.fingerlakesanglingzone.com/

He is a fly friendly guide. Most fishing will be deep jigging for lakers, which can be fun. A weird fly option is trying for gar in the shallow North end of Cayuga or maybe Cross Lake.

Getting the itch, may sound crazy but kinda wishin we could fast forward through the dog days of August.

Don't wish the warm weather away the cold will be here sooner than you think.

I have a day on the DSR for Salmon on Saturday, courtesy of my good lady as its my 9th Wedding Anniversary today.

flows will be 750cfs. small numbers of salmon are coming through and they just bumped the flow to 420cfs last night.

i plan to use my 1309 with a 15lb tippet, but i wanted to ask what sink tips should i use for that 750 flow ?

i'm told that bright flies low and slow are the way to go ?

cheers

Mark.

The info below is from my friend Paul who lives in Pulaski and loves to swing flies with his spey rod. Can't wait to get up and swing some up myself!!

Here's a list of tips I use for the various flow levels: 350 cfs flow Intermediate polyeader
(late spring/early fall)

350-500 cfs flow 2.5’ MOW tip - or 2.6 ips slow sink polyleader

750 cfs flow 5’ MOW tip - or 3.9 ips medium sink polyleader

1000 cfs flow 7.5’ MOW tip - or 7 ft. of T-11

above 1000 cfs flow 10’ tip of T-11

Geebee: My wife and I share the same anniversary date as you. Only we've been putting up with each other for 42 years. The above info is good for sink tips. Try to find salmon holding in the riffles, they offer the best shot. Forget the deep holes, they just swim in circles and won't bite...........If you see any cohos and you hook up with one, you'll never forget that ride.

great info, thanks guys & congrats Biggie.

FGS - you live near me, I live in Landenberg, if you want to share a ride up there in November or December let me know.

Cheers

Mark.

Any word yet?

Was up in erie doing some scouting and hiking around saturday... not much going on. Going to be while. 20 isn't even connected to the lake right now. Walnuts got a handful swimming in circles above the marina. Didn't stop by elk but apparently there's some early morning by the mouth. East side needs some heavy heavy rains to open the mouths

Figured as much. The Elk webcam looks rough, with about a quarter of the streambed covered in water. Hopefully some of the rain theyre calling for this week comes through.

Last I heard the water temp at Walnut has been around 75 degrees. Those fish are barely hanging on...

Looking at the gauge on lower Conneaut, the past two days the temperature peaked at about 86 degrees!!!

Yea there were already 5 or so dead ones floating around walnut saturday.. more anxious for fall than we are!

Salmon river got a push of fish, not many but enough to keep you entertained I guess, was hoping to swing for some steel in September but without rain I don't see that being a possibility

I called last Friday night and the DSR said don't bother to make the 2 hr drive. Air Temps were 88F, so that put me off casting a line anywhere else.

I'm waiting for this rain and next weeks storms and then might head to NY. Most likely the 26-27th

JeffK wrote:
One more thought. For the Fingers a good guide is John Gaulke.
http://www.fingerlakesanglingzone.com/

He is a fly friendly guide. Most fishing will be deep jigging for lakers, which can be fun. A weird fly option is trying for gar in the shallow North end of Cayuga or maybe Cross Lake.

+1 for John. Real good guy.

heres what is going on now along erie. My buddy with one of many in 20 feet of water on fly.

Attachments

• ryan bass.JPG
    ryan bass.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 3
I have never fished with a fly rod in 20 feet of water. That's amazing!

I do all the time, not that hard to do. sink tip or full sink and a countdown.

Back