Great Lake Tribs (OH, PA, NY) 2015-2016

Been fishing the oak and some of the smaller tribs for the past few days. Water us low everywhere and fishing is pretty slow. Has anyone been on the Catt recently? Thinking about fishing there instead of the oak tomorrow.

My friend is headed to Burt for lack of fish in the Catt.. If that helps any

Went and watched the zoo at Burt. There's no water there--didn't even wet a line. Going to walk around at Catt this afternoon and enjoy the views. Even if there's no fish I think I'll like that better than staying up here another day.

Thanks. Just pulling up to park and walk in. Love this place.

stal42 wrote:
Has anyone been on the Catt recently? Thinking about fishing there instead of the oak tomorrow.

Almost every day last week.
You should go before the next rain blows it up.

I'm thinking of heading up Thursday til sunday lunchtime.

it looks like reports have picked up and it will be wet n windy on Friday and Saturday (perfect!)

has anyone stayed at deer creek motel or feeder creek lodge ? that looks like my only options right now.

DSR is sold out so I think i'll fishing from the compactor pool down to the ballfield, i'll be swinging only so looks like plenty of good water.

cheers

Mark.

catt was great 2 days ago, dead yesterday.

I hit up ALL the tribs from Elk to Chautauqua saturday and sunday after all the rain. All i can say is DEAD. Only trib that was remotely productive was Middle Elk. Let me tell you it was not many fish either I walked ALOT. I was able to put together a decent day but I worked very hard. I truely believe that most of the guys fishing bigger holes and standing in one spot all day were likely fishing to nothing. The rest of the tribs were just totally dismal for november first after a big rain.

I talked to many dissapointed fisherman who traveld to fish only to find barely any fish. There was a truck with Paflyfish sticker on his truck at the quaility inn in sterratnia but never figured who it was. Perhaps he can read this and confirm my report. I thought last couple years the runs were poor but this takes the cake. Anyone be it a tackle shop, Internet report whatever who says those creeks are loaded with fish either have an agenda or they are just blowing smoke. If you drive 6 hours up there like me it just isnt worth it now.

I ended up going home early. On a side note though for any guys that fish the salt. Im glad I did come home .hooked the boat up and fished the bay and caught small stripers till my arm fell off. There is going to be some bumper years of striper fishing in the next five years.

If it was a silver 4 door jeep, it was me. The steelhead jam was last weekend so there were a few of us at the hotel. Some guys had better luck than others. We saw more fish on Friday then Saturday and water levels were on the way down. I didn't fish Sunday.

Heading up to Erie tomorrow to fish the tribs for the weekend. Thinking about hitting elk and walnut. How far up have the fish made it?

Took a sanity day off work last Friday, hoping some fish had made the run up out of the lake after the rains on Wednesday. We started down near the mouth on 20 mile and in an hour or so I only had one small hookup on a small run of water that was most likely overlooked by most. It quickly broke me off on a rock and that was that.

We moved on over to 16 mile and parked near route 5 and walked upstream. There was nothing until you came to a larger hole and there were probably 10 people standing around this hole fishing to half a dozen steelhead that looked like they were totally dazed. I did try and fish a small run of whitewater on the way out of there and oddly caught a 5" brookie on a hairs ear. Must of washed out of a small trib or something.

We headed back toward 20 mile to try and fish farther up the stream figuring maybe the steelhead ran up farther then we had anticipated. After some hiking upstream we came into some nice runs and pools holding a decent amount of fish, and the three of us found ourselves to be alone so we did pretty well with at least 4 hookups each and we landed 6 of them. Half way through catching some fish a guy came up, saw we were catching fish, and went back downstream and must of rung the siren because sure enough, in the distance we saw a herd of 8 guys come sloshing upstream to stand right where we were. It was like watching zombies coming over the horizon. With that, we departed.

Had to work pretty hard for the fish we caught, but was a fun day out with my buddies. We kept a few of the fish and after making a pit stop at a winery on route 5 for a couple bottles of wine we headed to Poor Richards to trade them in for smoked steelhead.

Overall, I will be waiting for my next trip up until they get a lot more flow on a consistent basis.

fished big bulky flies and caught fish. they were not hitting egg flies, eggs, or skeins at all. water was off so you had to give them something they could feel in the water.

res

Love swinging big flies there

lost 2 on my 11' 4 wt. switch rod, caught one on it. got a few on the 6/7 switch rod too. making a few changes before heading up again.

12'6" 5/6 followed me home today. Full bender.
I can't remember ever seeing the water this clear for this amount of flow.(Thursday)
Moving around through the day has helped on those clear sky days.
I've been doing OK on 3-4" flies. Black over anything.
Time to start fishing more of the experimental stuff.

fished elk on saturday. fish are in elk but sporadic. hugging tight to ledges and debris. walnut is also holding fish near the mouth. it was an absolute circus with fishermen lined up shoulder to shoulder. I heard that elk was holding more fish further upstream but ran out of fishing time. I ended up catching one steelhead and snapping off another and a brown.

Broke my 10'6" last weekend so I'm down until it's replaced.. Probably going to look into a longer 7/8

Back