Graphite Rod Upgrades?

Deuterium

Deuterium

For many non-fly fishing related products, I turn over the item to a new version periodically, although I frequently skip generations.

As I have mentioned in other posts, I haven't bought a graphite rod in ten years. During that time, rod manufacturers continue to refine their blanks. While I haven't gone back and counted, I am sure that a number of generations have come and gone in that ten year period. So here is the question. Do you update your graphite rods to a newer version? if so, why?

Deut, I bought a Sage RPL+ about 10 years ago. It still works as good now as it did then and the fish don't seem to notice that it's an old rod.

The newer rods may be lighter and maybe the taper has improved, but I just can't justify shelling out bucks for just that.

It's all marketing, the rod companies want you to buy a new rod every year. And I am sure some do. Not me.

I agree. I don't go out and buy a new rod just because it's new. IMO some of the older rods are better than many of the new ones. I love my Sage SLT and TXL. They have both been replaced with updated models. Who cares?

Thanks for your thoughts.

I think I will go cast or borrow and fish some of the newer rods.

I don't think I own a rod made in the last 10 years.

Back