Getting Frustrated

arbor1

arbor1

Well, today was by far the most frustrating day I had fishing. I went out this morning to the Perkiomen where it is stocked and I couldn't land a fish to save my life. I started out using a woolly bugger for awhile and had nothing, went to a copper john and still nothing, so I went to a pink fish egg and still nothing. so I asked around if anyone was catching anything and out of all the spin casters that were there, there were only a couple trout that were caught. so I chalked it up that nothing was really biting. In the afternoon I went up stream to a couple of well know holes and I could see rainbows chasing my bugger but no takes. I fish the snot out of it and nothing. I would cast up stream and dead drift it into the hole and start to mend in line. I think I'm doing it right, but I'm not sure. After no luck with that I tried a copper john and a pink egg and nothing. It also didn't help that I broke the tip of my new rod midway through the afternoon today.

Anyways, I'm just looking for some pointers to land some fish. I have been fly fishing for about a year now and I have yet to land a trout. Landed alot of bluegill, but no trout. Looking for some help to make it more enjoyable.

Thanks

Don't get frustrated...it will happen!!!!there is no wrong way to fish a wooly... I kind of twitch/strip on the retrieve to give it a wiggle. Pauses are good just Vary the retrieve until the magic happens..with the coppers and such do you use a strike indicator?

In the words of Bill Clinton..... I feel your pain. Don't give up. We all get skunked. As the season moves on here it will get better for flyfishng. You may not be doing anything wrong. Someday thats just the way it goes. I'll ask you this, did you enjoy your time outta the house? Was work on your mind? Did you think about how high the gas prices are? Yes catching is always a good thing but in a lot of cases it is not "the" thing. It will get better for you. Hang in there.

Brother, I feel your pain. I cleared out my schedule on Friday to head north (From Philadelphia) to a buddies house in Easton to fish the little bushkill. We both got skunked today. He is a spin guy and was using rooster tails, salmon eggs, and a couple lures. He noticed a few trout following the lure but no takers. This is my first season dedicated to fly fishing. I used an olive wooly bugger for a bit then switched over to a prince bead head nymph followed by a pheasent tail nymph. Not one bite all day. I can't help but wonder what i am doing wrong. This is the third time i have been out this season with my fly rod and the third time in a row ive been skunked. We are heading out to fish the little bushkill and monocacy tomorrow so fingers crossed. Always remember the old saying, A bad day of fishing is always better than a great day at work. Good luck buddy.

Srflick thanks for the input and no I don't use a strike indicator. I have herd about using them, but I'm not really sure how to use one and exactly what to use. FiveWeight I hear what you're saying and yes getting out of the house and not thinking about work, or day to day troubles was good to be out on the water. I know it will happen and I'm sure it will soon, but it gets a bit frustrating at times.

By no means am I an expert, but I fish mostly buggers and have them in 8 colors or combo's of colors. Usually its olive that I go with or white. I went out today and started out like always, but zero luck so decided to keep changing colors and retrieves etc... ended up 3 hours later going 15 for 22 and landing my first 18" of season. I had luck with them taking it on dead drift and most at the swing with a little strip...this isnt ground breaking, but I had never done much of that before. assuming it had something to do with water temp. So I guess the suggestion from me is dont give up on buggers, vary color, size and retrieve... hope it helps and good luck!

Arbor,
Based on what you described, it certainly sounds to me that you were doing everything right. The fact that the other bait and spin guys weren't having much luck either is a good indicator that the problem wasn't you. The fish just weren't biting - this could have been due to a water temperature drop or perhaps they just got pounded all morning and got lock jaw from all the commotion. The flies you describe are the same ones I would have used on opening day. I'd say you did things right. As Fiveweight pointed out, it's really about having a good day away from the regular headaches of life. Give it a try again sometime soon and you'll eventually catch some trout.
As for the broken rod - bummer. Some rods have a replacement guarantee. if only a small section was broken off (say a couple inches) you can glue a new tip top guide on and it will still be serviceable. Broken rod tips are a reality of fly fishing. With time, you'll get better and recognizing the little things that bust rods.
Don't get discoureged.

I have pretty good luck on black buggers...size 10s... I was just wondering about the strike indicators because they help me alot fishing nymphs. I think I was missing alot of subtle takes previously .....it's basically a tiny bobber That slides on/ pinches on/ ties on many different styles out there....try em out they're not bad

if you are having fish follow but not take your streamers, try very short, fast strips the whole way to where you are standing. At times, all it takes is a different style of stripping.

Thanks for all the input guys! I will try a different approach with the buggers when stripping them back in. I am going out to Cabelas this morning to get the rod tip replaced and maybe I'll pick up some different colors and sizes on the buggers. I will also look into picking up some strike indicators. I know this will all work out eventuality and I do like the challenge of fly fishing and no offense to the spin cast guys, but globing on some power bait and chucking in a line just isn't a challenge to me.

My 2 cents. You probably were not getting your flies deep enough or close enough to the bottom. As they say, if you are not getting hung up, you are not down deep enough. Rodd Gunn

I think I'm getting deep, but if I wanted to make sure I am would I put a small split shot on. Also, would I put the split shot on a couple of inches above the streamer/nymph I'm using?

I know the Perky well, send me a pm and I'll be happy to meet you there some time this week and show you around.

arbor1 wrote:
I think I'm getting deep, but if I wanted to make sure I am would I put a small split shot on. Also, would I put the split shot on a couple of inches above the streamer/nymph I'm using?

I normally use 1 or 2 bb size splitshot a few inches above my fly - use 2 for deeper water to get my fly down to the bottom quickly and set up the drift. As far as indicators - try out thingamabobbers...they have different sizes. I typically use the smallest, but if the riffles/current is stronger I'll use the next size up to keep it floating... once you start using an indicator, you'll be amazed at how many strikes you would probably have missed without it... when fishing with it, any time it stops or goes under try and set the hook - sometimes it's a rock/log hangup, but many times it's a hungry trout!

I bought the thingamabobbers Sunday along with some different buggers and pheasant tails. I will definitely use the indicators, but how far up the leader to you attach them? Also do you use a nymph the same way you would use a streamer? All your replys are great info for a true beginner like me.

arbor,

what was the water temp? When I was in York County the water was 41 degrees. This is far below the trout's optimum feeding temperature of 52-62. Their metabolism is slow and they just are not hungry. Chances are later in the afternoon the water temp was rising and it triggered their interest but still not enough to aggressively feed.

When fishing in temperatures outside their optimal range you want to fish during a temp change in the direction of the optimum. Still water in the 40's is tough for anyone without scent to trigger a bite.

Buy a thermometer and keep an eye on temps and your success will improve.

Maurice

If you are having problems catching fish, go fish the Jordan. That will cure your blues.

I'm not sure what the actual temp was, but I know in the morning no one was really having luck, by the afternoon they were interested, but no takers. I will look into a thermometer though. Whats with the Jordan, good fishing there? I always wanted to fish it; looks like a good stream.

Good for the first month and a half, after that it might be dried up. Get it while it's good!

arbor1 wrote:
I bought the thingamabobbers Sunday along with some different buggers and pheasant tails. I will definitely use the indicators, but how far up the leader to you attach them? Also do you use a nymph the same way you would use a streamer? All your replys are great info for a true beginner like me.

I believe the general rule is to place the indicator at 1.5x the depth of where you're fishing....

Back