generic mayfly emergers...

flipnfly

flipnfly

im looking for a pattern that is simple to tie but will represent most mayflies when the size and color are tweaked pics and recipes are welcomed and greatly appriceated as i am in the midst of a tying blitz due to my moving 2 weeks before the jam

here are a few to start this thing off if you have any to add please do this is the cdc puff emerger
here is a nice one jelly emergers
heres a nice quill body klinkhammer
ok i like this one too its a snowshoe hare's foot emerger
with these flies tied in different colors and sizes anyone shouldnt have a problem catching fish anywhere if anyone has different patterns to add please do thanks

good tying and good fishing

PS
i almost forgot the most generic one of all the wing knot emerger

Elk hair on top, nymph dubbing on the bottom. DONE! Top floats, bottom sinks. Just what you need for an emerger.

Try a simple WD40 but dont clip off the wood duck wingcase when you tie it down. Let it just shoot out the top. They work.

My fave though is the CDC emerger mentioned above.

flipnfly wrote:
here are a few to start this thing off if you have any to add please do this is the cdc puff emerger
here is a nice one jelly emergers
heres a nice quill body klinkhammer
ok i like this one too its a snowshoe hare's foot emerger
with these flies tied in different colors and sizes anyone shouldnt have a problem catching fish anywhere if anyone has different patterns to add please do thanks

good tying and good fishing

PS
i almost forgot the most generic one of all the wing knot emerger

I use a pattern much like the CDC puff emerger for many of the smaller mayflies. A BWO version in 18 with a hareline BWO goose biot and dark dunn CDC works great, even on Penns. I've also used sulpher version with some success.

The snowshoe hare is what i use, i have a ton of them with different dubbing colors for all mayfly species, simple tie, buggy looking, deadly.

The snowshoe hare emerger or similar flies tied with cdc, deer, or elk wings are dynamite. They even work well for caddis hatches. SHE's are so easy to tie you can whip up a ton of them in one or two evevnings.

The rabbit's foot wings are excellent. They float well, dry off easily, are durable, and are a very good compromise between the bugy/translucent qualities of CDC and the floatation of deer or elk. I still use CDC, but mostly for #18 and under and I tie a few with deer or elk wings in #16 and larger to do double duty as caddis imitations.

Kev

I have never tried this or any other snowshoe pattern but figured it would be relevant to the thread.

A silly, grandiose introductory remark "You'll never look at your flybox the same again," and gimmicky lighting aside, not a bad video and is available in HD.

I tie something like the CDC puff emerger above, but thicker bodies, with the dubbing going further back.

Curved caddis hook.
tailing of your choice (I like more natural colors)
pheasant tail for back half of body to represent a shuck
dubbing (color to roughly match) for front half of body
CDC puff as the wing.

Back